Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

TruHD or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='529747' date='Feb 10 2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I only have 200+ or so hours on my 60" Sony SXRD XBR2, so this should be perfect. Funny you mention the calibrations for your TV off of AVSForums. I adjusted my settings, per the recommendations on the site as well, and it looks amazing! I actually can't picture it looking any better. However, according to Kevin Miller who considers my display still one of his favorites, he said I'm in for quite a surprise when he's done. He said it will take some time getting used to, but once my eyes adjust, it will be night and day.

We shall see...

I have to admit though, the fact that he's calibrating my Tosh A35 and Panny BD30, as well as my HD/DVR Cable box, ON TOP of every input on my display is just awesome.

2 weeks and counting baby!

Ron - Those new Elite's are calling your name man! Go out and treat yourself to one. You deserve it!

Hehehe. Well...

This year's Kuros (8th Gen) have 5 times blacker blacks vs. last years models. The next gen #9, will again achieve a 5 time increase in black level over the current Kuros.

The Gen 10 Kuro achieve total black, 0 ire. Probably about 2 years away, maybe 2.5 years.

I figure if my set holds out that long, I'll grab one of those.

This is an image from CES. As you can see, the one on the left is the venerable current Kuro television, and we all know how great the black levels are on it. The demo TV on the right (representing the 10th gen stuff) really makes you realize what a huge leap forward this will be when it's released.

Regarding AVSForum, some advice there is better than others. The TV I have had a huge PDF created for it. In fact, the ISF guy stopped being so nice with newer TVs as it was cutting into his business too much. One of the last TVs where you could fine such an extensive set of instructions. He even had step-by-step instructions with pictures for installing a ND filter to increase contrast ration on my TV!

Also, as far as ISF tuning is concerned... I favor the "Steaming Rat" approach to picture adjustment. Archived here:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=261309