Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

TruHD or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

I have been looking at the same options. FIOS is finally in Northern NJ , but I have been reading on AVS Forum that some "annoying green line" shows on all HD channels and that VZ only upscales channels to 1080i? Hmm? No true HD programming? So far have not ordered it yet....
Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by bauska530i' post='527598' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:38 PM
I have been looking at the same options. FIOS is finally in Northern NJ , but I have been reading on AVS Forum that some "annoying green line" shows on all HD channels and that VZ only upscales channels to 1080i? Hmm? No true HD programming? So far have not ordered it yet....
The amount of bandwidth required to serve HD in 1080p over cable, satellite or optical is so great, they would have to charge an arm and leg for your monthly cost. It makes no sense. As of right now, the best you'll get anywhere is 1080i. Personally, I'm fine with the 1080i programs on Optimum. It's still HD, however it's just interlaced and not progressive. My display does a really good job on the interlaced shows, such as sports. I think these channels looks outstanding, but then again, it depends on what display you have...

Interesting about the green line. I'll have to look into that more. I don't like hearing that.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='527601' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:45 PM
The amount of bandwidth required to serve HD in 1080p over cable, satellite or optical is so great, they would have to charge an arm and leg for your monthly cost. It makes no sense. As of right now, the best you'll get anywhere is 1080i. Personally, I'm fine with the 1080i programs on Optimum. It's still HD, however it's just interlaced and not progressive. My display does a really good job on the interlaced shows, such as sports. I think these channels looks outstanding, but then again, it depends on what display you have...

Interesting about the green line. I'll have to look into that more. I don't like hearing that.
I'm not an expert on any of this but I agree that the bandwidth requirements are tremendous when providing all this HD stuff.

One thing that I remember seeing (not sure if it's true or not) that differentiates FiOS from everyone else is that with FiOS, only the channel you're watching is being sent over the "line" so they aren't filling up the pipe with channels that aren't being used like the cable companies do...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

AVS seems to be down right now. I was trying to find the link for you, but once it is up, go search for Verizon FIOS and under content and programming master post - most of the last pages deal with this problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

The amount of bandwidth required to serve HD in 1080p over cable, satellite or optical is so great, they would have to charge an arm and leg for your monthly cost. It makes no sense. As of right now, the best you'll get anywhere is 1080i.
The only place you'll get 1080p today is on HD Media such as Blu-Ray. 1080i and 720p is the best you'll get from the networks. Cable hopes that SDV will help with their bandwidth crunch but its going to cause other issues. FiOS on the other hand has more possibility due to the technology and because it is being deployed now it doesn't have to deal with legacy issues that cable has.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='527675' date='Feb 5 2008, 06:33 PM
The only place you'll get 1080p today is on HD Media such as Blu-Ray.
Exactly. It's one of the reasons I buy some of the Discovery shows on Blu-Ray.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='527611' date='Feb 5 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm not an expert on any of this but I agree that the bandwidth requirements are tremendous when providing all this HD stuff.

One thing that I remember seeing (not sure if it's true or not) that differentiates FiOS from everyone else is that with FiOS, only the channel you're watching is being sent over the "line" so they aren't filling up the pipe with channels that aren't being used like the cable companies do...

I can shed some "light" no pun intended.

Actually, that is not true. Verizon FiOS TV is not IP TV so an unviewed channel is still being transmitted. The QAM signal is RF modulated onto the optical carrier. In other words, it's no different than how cable TV is delivered, it simply has more capacity into the home. The service uses standard cable boxes and you can even use a digital TV with a QAM tuner. Cable companies also have mamoth fiber networks like any telecom would, it just stops a bit shorter than FiOS does relative to your domecile.

While this approach doesn't "save" any bandwidth, the good news is that they don't need to save any. The FiOS phone service is also RF modulated, using a separate optical carrier (wavelength/frequency/color of light). This approach is good for a new service like this since it erases the possibility of some of the adoption hurdles a "bad" IP implementation can create with people who just want to watch TV and talk on the phone. If it's flakey, people won't want it, so I think that probably had something to do with the way the service was designed.

My parents have FiOS, and my building is being lit this month - the Verizon workers have been doing work here for a while. They do actually offer higher bit rate on television content, I can tell when I watch TV at my parents' house. They have lots of HD channels, some I don't get with Comcast, and I have some that they don't get. On Demand stuff seems quite mature on the FiOS system with a good interface and lots to choose from.

As to the bandwidth requirements of 1080p - that's a common misconception. The number of fields (frame rate) is a deciding factor.

1080i/60 (1080 interlaced vertical lines, 60 fields per second)

1080p/24 (1080 progressive vertical lines, 24 fields per second)

1080p/30 (1080 progressive vertical lines, 30 fields per second)

The number of fields makes a huge difference.

Number of pixels per frame x color sampling value x bit depth x frame rate = number of bits per second

In fact, 1080p/24 takes 10% LESS bandwidth than 720p/60.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='527471' date='Feb 5 2008, 10:17 AM
Anyway, you should get an ISF calibration done next.

No, not for me. I have a 5+ year old Sony XBR Grand Wega, which is a RP 3LCD set. The bulb is that old, and the last thing I would want is to get it ISFd and then have the bulb die. All the settings would be different.

Luckily, my model of set that I have was a favorite of an ISF guy on AVSForums. He wrote extensive instructions on navigating the service menu and making settings that really make the set look good. I know it's not perfectly set, but it's quite well-tuned. I know what images should look like, and that's half the battle.

Maybe it will be ISF time when this one dies and I replace it with a nice 10th gen Pioneer or something...
Old 02-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the input (and lesson) Ron. Glad your folks finally were able to get FiOS and glad you'll be able to get it soon too. As I said, I've been using it for the internet (and phone) for years now and am happy with it...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Yeah, I only have 200+ or so hours on my 60" Sony SXRD XBR2, so this should be perfect. Funny you mention the calibrations for your TV off of AVSForums. I adjusted my settings, per the recommendations on the site as well, and it looks amazing! I actually can't picture it looking any better. However, according to Kevin Miller who considers my display still one of his favorites, he said I'm in for quite a surprise when he's done. He said it will take some time getting used to, but once my eyes adjust, it will be night and day.

We shall see...

I have to admit though, the fact that he's calibrating my Tosh A35 and Panny BD30, as well as my HD/DVR Cable box, ON TOP of every input on my display is just awesome.

2 weeks and counting baby!

Ron - Those new Elite's are calling your name man! Go out and treat yourself to one. You deserve it!