Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

TruHD or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='524692' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:43 AM
Take a look at some of the Disney titles like Pirates of the Caribbean, Prestige, or Pixar's Cars. They have uncompressed 24 bit LPCM tracks. Personally I love LPCM but there are rumors out there that Disney may dump LPCM for TrueHD.
Cars is great in Uncompressed 5.1. That's another great one to show.

I have a date of 2/22 set with an ISF calibrator. I wanted it sooner, but this guy is booked months in advance. I can't wait to see what the difference in picture quality looks like, as I'm already so impressed with some of the changes I made, based on some setting inputs a few members through up on AVSforum.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='524692' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:43 AM
Take a look at some of the Disney titles like Pirates of the Caribbean, Prestige, or Pixar's Cars. They have uncompressed 24 bit LPCM tracks. Personally I love LPCM but there are rumors out there that Disney may dump LPCM for TrueHD.

Yeah, the majority of titles have multichannel 24 bit LPCM. I picked up 3:10 to Yuma which is actually 7.1 24 bit LPCM. I bought Ratatouille too which has 5.1 24 bit LPCM (saw that twice in DLP Cinema where the audio is uncompressed digital). I think the current trend may be that LPCM gets dumped for DTS-HD MA or perhaps TrueHD like you say.

Pretty sure for LPCM 48/24 is the norm, but looking at a list on AVS I saw a few listed as 16 bit PCM... presumably 44.1/16, which is a CD essentially.

Too bad they teased us with 96/24 and 192/24 with DVD-Audio...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I just got my DMP-BD10A and set it up last night. HDMI-to-DVI cable to the TV, and 5.1 analog output connected to my receiver's 7.1 input connectors. Wow, just wow. I tuned the video using the Ratatouille video setup (man have those kinds of tools come a long way). The player has extensive video adjustment - brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, gamma, black levels, etc...

It looks insane right now. Now I -know- it's my cable that was making HD looks like crap (thank goodness FIOS is coming this month). I am getting blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white signals out of the player/tv combo, and the gamma is dialed in.

Also, I just came from a superb DVD player that was known for its sound quality, and it had been a step up for movie audio content from the player it replaced. This 10A kills it. Really incredible. The DACs are superb, and uncompressed digital is everything I knew it would be. I had been yearning for uncompressed (or lossless) for movies on my home system ever since I first experienced it in DLP Cinema in '02 during Attack of the Clones. This player will do all the new audio formats from the 7.1 analog outs except for DTS-HD MA. That gets output as DTS Core at 1.5Mbps (2x the bit rate used for DTS on standard DVD) The uncompressed PCM 5.1 from Ratatouille is incredible. My system has never sounded so balanced and smooth with movie content. The highs used to sometimes be a bit raspy, now there isn't a hint of that.

FYI, only DLP Cinema and IMAX titles are uncompressed digital in the theater. I try to see as many titles in DLP Cinema as I can.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='527459' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:50 AM
The player has extensive video adjustment - brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, gamma, black levels, etc...

It looks insane right now. Now I -know- it's my cable that was making HD looks like crap (thank goodness FIOS is coming this month). I am getting blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white signals out of the player/tv combo, and the gamma is dialed in.
I have Kevin Miller coming to my house in 2 weeks to calibrate my display, along with my Panny BD30 and Tosh A35. Apparently, Kevin is considered the best ISF Calibrator in the country. He also happens to be the Review Editor for all HDTV's on CNET. If you look up just about any TV on CNET, his name appears write where the review is. I believe he is also one of the main ISF intructors in the country as well, as most of the ISF calibrators out there have learned from him.

Anyway, you should get an ISF calibration done next. Having the display calibrated (every input mind you), along with having your HD DVD and Blu-Ray player calibrated seems insane. I can't wait to see how it all looks when it's done. I've already worked extensively on my display to get it where I "thought" it was just right, but he told me that with my display, it's like a whole other world. Crazy!

PS - The cost is $400: 1) EVERY input on my display (9 inputs), 2) Calibration of my Tosh A35 HD DVD Player, 3) Panny BD30 Blu-Ray Player, 4) Cable HD DVR Set-Top Box. That's a pretty amazing deal for $400. Total time required is around 3 hours.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='527459' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:50 AM
Don't even get me started on Cable. I'm chomping at the bit for FiOS. Since going Blu I have a hard time watching SD video. The audio from my cable HD programs also seem muted and I feel like I'm listening to a mono signal half the time. My next move isto get a new TV but I'm waiting for the release of some of the new 120kHz LCDs that were announced at CES. I may consider ISF calibration on the new set when the time comes.

Welcome to Blu-Ray and enjoy the kool-aid.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='527495' date='Feb 5 2008, 11:21 AM
Don't even get me started on Cable. I'm chomping at the bit for FiOS. Since going Blu I have a hard time watching SD video. The audio from my cable HD programs also seem muted and I feel like I'm listening to a mono signal half the time. My next move isto get a new TV but I'm waiting for the release of some of the new 120kHz LCDs that were announced at CES. I may consider ISF calibration on the new set when the time comes.

Welcome to Blu-Ray and enjoy the kool-aid.
I'm thinking of moving over to Fios as well. It's available in my town. Hmmmm....
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='527516' date='Feb 5 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm thinking of moving over to Fios as well. It's available in my town. Hmmmm....
I don't know what content provider you're currently using but if FiOS is available where you live, it's almost a no-brainer...

I've had FiOS internet for well over two years now and it's great! They just began offering TV in my area this past Fall and I'm working out some minor details before I switch over to them and dump Comcast. One thing to note though -- I'm quite a bit behind in my HD equipment -- my only HD capable television is in my bedroom so for now, I don't even subscribe to any HD programming.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='527528' date='Feb 5 2008, 12:53 PM
I don't know what content provider you're currently using but if FiOS is available where you live, it's almost a no-brainer...

I've had FiOS internet for well over two years now and it's great! They just began offering TV in my area this past Fall and I'm working out some minor details before I switch over to them and dump Comcast. One thing to note though -- I'm quite a bit behind in my HD equipment -- my only HD capable television is in my bedroom so for now, I don't even subscribe to any HD programming.
I have Cablevision (Optimum Online...also known as the Triple Play Package). Fios just became avail in my town recently. Since I have all 3 (Cable, Phone and Internet) through Optimum, I wanted to wait for all 3 features from Fios, before I switched over. What I also want to make sure of, is that Fios has all the HD channels that Optimum currently has. Optimum has one of the best line-ups out there. It makes Time Warner cable (New York City cable) look like garbage. I'm actually surprised Time Warner is so bad. Sucks for those that have HD.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='527537' date='Feb 5 2008, 01:09 PM
I have Cablevision (Optimum Online...also known as the Triple Play Package). Fios just became avail in my town recently. Since I have all 3 (Cable, Phone and Internet) through Optimum, I wanted to wait for all 3 features from Fios, before I switched over. What I also want to make sure of, is that Fios has all the HD channels that Optimum currently has. Optimum has one of the best line-ups out there. It makes Time Warner cable (New York City cable) look like garbage. I'm actually surprised Time Warner is so bad. Sucks for those that have HD.
Yeah, that's why I was saying it's "almost" a no-brainer. I've heard that FiOS doesn't have as many HD channels as other sources but I have to believe that they can and will add them sooner or later to stay competitive. I think they have more on-demand stuff available and the fact that I don't think they compress any of their signals is a huge benefit...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='527558' date='Feb 5 2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, that's why I was saying it's "almost" a no-brainer. I've heard that FiOS doesn't have as many HD channels as other sources but I have to believe that they can and will add them sooner or later to stay competitive. I think they have more on-demand stuff available and the fact that I don't think they compress any of their signals is a huge benefit...
As long as they have the Playboy Channel in HD, that's all that really matters. Hahahaha!