Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i shadowline

so im in the market for a new tool set. since im in germany and my old tools are back in the states and since i finally have a car again. ive looked at a few brands, craftsman, snapon etc. well i dont want to spend a thousand dollars on a tool set, but the full tool kits that sears offer are good price but the carrying cases orginizing trays are not so great. What im looking for is a complete socket, wrench, allen key set that comes with a case and organizing trays at a resonable price. I need to be able to move my tools easily from my third floor room to the parking lot. Suggestion?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Snap-On is in a league with MAC and matco. a 35 piece 3/4 drive socket wrench set from Snap-On can cost $3500. You can get a 17 pc 1/2 drive socket wrench set for about $600. Are you really looking at Snap-On? These are professional grade tools, meant to be used day in and day out for 30+ years.

Craftsman is the best value for your dollar. While not professional quality tools, no matter how hard they try to market them as such, they are not. But they are more than enough for the typical weekend hobbyist and do-it-yourselfer. I would argue that Craftsman tools would be fine in a professional shop as well, but when you use the tools constantly for long periods of time, you notice a difference. I have a lot of Craftsman tools and some snap-on tools. The Snap-Ons were hand-me-downs.

Craftsman tools carry lifetime warranties, and they are true quality tools for the backyard mechanic. their tools are priced very fairly for what you are getting. Check out their website, they are usually having good sales on many different combinations of tool sets. I suggest getting a 56ish piece tool set that comes in a carrying case. Buy a screwdriver set and an hex key set and some open ended wrenches. Grab yourself a voltmeter and a few other tools that are staples in the automotive hobbyist world and be done with it. It usually makes sense to buy a good socket set (as it can get expensive to piece together) and piece together screw drivers and the like.

With fathers day around the corner, there is bound to be some great deals on tools. Id argue that besides the holidays, this is the best time of year to buy tools.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Contributors

okay... craftsman has stepped their game up in the past 10 years. they now have $10,000 tool sets.

I spotted a few 56 piece sets for around $200. Just look around the site.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

http://www.sears.com...05_00936260000P

as craig stated, most major stores and brands should have some sales coming up as father's day is approaching...I'm sure you can find something to your liking
Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Reaonable price = Craftsman. The Sears link posted above is spot on. I've owned something similar for over 10 years and have no complaints - if something breaks (very rare) just bring it in to any Sears and get a free replacement. AAFES may also honor the Craftsman warranty since they sell some of their tools.

If I had money to burn, or if they ever start offering a lifetime warranty like Craftsman does - I'd switch to Snap-On.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I take it your in the military? Sears will give you a 10% discount, at least they did for me before I went to the sand box.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i shadowline

Yes i am in the military. I will look into the discout. Also i looked at snap on, but i wasnt 'seriously' looking at them hence the i dont want to spend a thousand dollars on a tool set. But i have had craftsman and had no issues with them before i was just basing what i said on some reviews i read about them. Thats why i was looking for any other suggestions. But it seems that everyone is in agreement that craftsman is the best bang for the buck. Thank you.