Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Those iPad sales keep on growing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sdg1871
My mother is a total computer illiterate -- and entirely unteachable. But she wants internet access. I'm getting her the iPad 3G 16 gb.
Keep us posted on how she fares with the iPad. As "easy" as the Apple interfaces are to use, I still think that there are certain computer (or technology) illiterates who continue to struggle with these types of devices. They're just not able to process things the same way most of us do and sometimes they can't figure out devices that others consider intuitive and simple. Add in the fact that they're afraid to play around or try to figure things out and, in the end, they're no better off than they were...
Old 06-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

A few questions for you iPad users. Finally got my 64gb 3G over the weekend.
I got everything working and Its pretty awesome. But, I do have a few questions I was hoping you could help with.

1. Is there a way I can invite someone in the calendar? I have no option for event invitation.
2. Have any of you used a stylus to take notes? If so, what program and stylus do you use and what's your feedback?
3. How would I watch DVD movies on the iPad? I'm guessing I would have to load the movies in iTunes somehow...

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

1. Is there a way I can invite someone in the calendar? I have no option for event invitation.
You can't. but there are apps out there that will let you do that.

2. Have any of you used a stylus to take notes? If so, what program and stylus do you use and what's your feedback?
Pogo Sketch and Pogo Stylus

3. How would I watch DVD movies on the iPad? I'm guessing I would have to load the movies in iTunes somehow...
Convert the DVD's using Handbrake and put them in your iTunes Library or serve them up on your home server via Air Tunes.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heavy_g
Convert the DVD's using Handbrake and put them in your iTunes Library or serve them up on your home server via Air Tunes.
Netflix has a nice app to stream video as well
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
My mother is a total computer illiterate -- and entirely unteachable. But she wants internet access. I'm getting her the iPad 3G 16 gb.
I hadn't thought of that. It's my mothers birthday in a week and she's finding it painful sitting at a computer for hours and hours dealing with (POP) email, facebook, and surfing in various forums she's a member of. I imagine there's a simple POP email client as standard with the iPad, and the rest is just basic web use. The activities she does like printing PDFs and uploading images from her digital camera, which are once-a-week things, can be left to the PC.

What's it like writing an email/forum post on the ipad? Does it give you a full virtual keyboard on-screen and using multi-touch allow the shift key? Does it offer speech-to-text as good as Android (which is uncannily accurate)?

Is the ipad something that's comfortable to hold for hour after hour of sofa-surfing? I don't want to get her it and have to hear that she couldn't hold the thing for more than half an hour before it started feeling like something you just want to put down to give your wrists or arms a rest. I already had the experience of buying her a laptop a couple of years ago and she gave up on using that. It seemed an ideal solution just like the ipad seems now.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
I hadn't thought of that. It's my mothers birthday in a week and she's finding it painful sitting at a computer for hours and hours dealing with (POP) email, facebook, and surfing in various forums she's a member of. I imagine there's a simple POP email client as standard with the iPad, and the rest is just basic web use. The activities she does like printing PDFs and uploading images from her digital camera, which are once-a-week things, can be left to the PC.

What's it like writing an email/forum post on the ipad? Does it give you a full virtual keyboard on-screen and using multi-touch allow the shift key? Does it offer speech-to-text as good as Android (which is uncannily accurate)?

Is the ipad something that's comfortable to hold for hour after hour of sofa-surfing? I don't want to get her it and have to hear that she couldn't hold the thing for more than half an hour before it started feeling like something you just want to put down to give your wrists or arms a rest. I already had the experience of buying her a laptop a couple of years ago and she gave up on using that. It seemed an ideal solution just like the ipad seems now.
The virtual keyboard is okay for short email but if you wanted to write anything long I would suggest the dock with the keyboard as an option. POP/IMAP is supported in the mail client. The iPad has received recognition for the accessibility features but I haven't used any of them to really comment.