Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thinking of Moving to California (NorCal)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I have been on this forum for a while now, may not be very active but yes, I am a regular visitor.

I am here in Redmond (Seattle). I am thinking of moving to San Jose CA, basically in silicon vally. Only problem - Weather in Seattle Sucks! I hate it as I am from warmer place (India). Summer here is nice though but for 3 months only.

I need suggestions / advice, if it would be a good move - good / bad points about California etc.

I am in IT/ software industry and I thought this could be a good place to dicuss this. Those who had been in seattle and now in Cali can chime in please.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I don't even know where to start. What are you looking for in particular? I've never been to Seattle but can provide some insights into San Jose.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I'm from NY originally, but my wife and I lived in San Francisco for 8+ years. We absolutely LOVED it. The Bay Area is great. Had it not been for our families living back east, we would have stayed.

Make the move. You won't regret it.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

move to CA but not in the Los Angeles area, I live in the Los Angeles area but thinking of moving out in 5 years maybe, I'm thinking of moving somewhere in the OC area.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

i've been living in OC for more than 10 yrs - it's nice and safe, not as crowded, busy as some areas of LA and there are also good school districts, but i plan on moving to FL w/in the next 5 yrs. I've also thought in moving to either one of the Carolinas, but as soon as the market turns around i might consider it.
I don't think a move is a wise choice with the economy right now - i'd wait a few months. There is a big hiring freeze w/a lot a companies, hence the secured paycheck. Also, are u single? married? kids? take into account all that, but are you planning a move just because of the warmer climate? why do you have San Jose in mind?
If you're 100% sure, then find a job and try to have your new company pay for your relocation exepenses. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

you cant go wrong in San Jose or even NorCal.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

^ Co-Sign, I love it here! I've been to Seattle many time for family events, and the weather is pretty depressing. From my expierence, it's always cloudy, cold or raining. Depend whats your really looking for tho, NorCal gets a thumbs up tho. Goodluck!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Seattle is a great city. I frequently traveled there for work but never lived there. One of the biggest complaints that native Seattlites have are the throngs of Californians that have moved up there. It's basically NorthernNorthern Cali. Demographically speaking, it's very similar to California.

But you can't beat the weather compared to California.

If you're Indian and in the IT/Software you'll feel right at home in SJ/Silicon Valley, even other areas of NorCal.

Since this is an e60 forum...you'll have more sunny days to drive your e60, less frequent car washes, practically can take advantage of ultra performance tires all season (no winter setups needed). Whether its NorCal or SoCal, the forum members will take you under their wings, no problem.

Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Cali is the place to be... you cant beat the weather out here
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

If Los Angeles is too crowded etc. Try a suburb of Los Angeles County.....I live in Ventura County (Thousand Oaks), which is just North of Los Angeles, great weather, cleaner air, safe streets, excellent schools and close enough to drive in to Los Angeles when the need arises! It is a great alternative to NorCal, but has even better weather! Good Luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Thinking of Moving to California (NorCal)