Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thinking of Moving to California (NorCal)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for replies and Sharing thoughts.

To make it more clear, I am married, wife is also working here. It would be a big deal for us to find 2 jobs there but we are prepared for it + selling house here in this market situation. (I think I should just to rent it out).

I also wanted to know like

1. How is cost of living compared to WA? I have heard everything is more expensive than here....I will be renting there to start with.

2. If someone is from IT here, what is the package that you can get for around 10 years of experience in IT management field? (I am not sure if this is a right question to ask) but I need this info if I am talking to some company there. I am already in initial talks with recruiter at yahoo and Cisco .

3. How is crime rate compared to other cities? is it safe?

I am thinking of San jose because there are many IT companies there and chance of getting a job is more .....SoCal is too crowded.

please let me know, again thanks in Advance.
-Amol
Old 11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by amolwankhede' post='734263' date='Nov 29 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks to all for replies and Sharing thoughts.

To make it more clear, I am married, wife is also working here. It would be a big deal for us to find 2 jobs there but we are prepared for it + selling house here in this market situation. (I think I should just to rent it out).

I also wanted to know like

1. How is cost of living compared to WA? I have heard everything is more expensive than here....I will be renting there to start with.

2. If someone is from IT here, what is the package that you can get for around 10 years of experience in IT management field? (I am not sure if this is a right question to ask) but I need this info if I am talking to some company there. I am already in initial talks with recruiter at yahoo and Cisco .

3. How is crime rate compared to other cities? is it safe?

I am thinking of San jose because there are many IT companies there and chance of getting a job is more .....SoCal is too crowded.

please let me know, again thanks in Advance.
-Amol

1) San Jose is pretty expensive. Compared to most of WA, you'll find pretty much everything here tends to costs more.

2) Others can chime in for your specific industry, but Bay Area salaries (SF, SJ etc) in general tend to be pretty high compared to most of the US. Direct result of number 1).

3) Very safe - it is the safest large city (more then 500,000 people) in the US. Here's a link to the numbers for 2007: http://www.statestats.com/cit07pop.htm

Good luck if you decide to move!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

The Bay Area sucks, stay were you are... Or move to somewhere warmer like AZ, TX, or even SoCal... it'll be similar to where you are originally from.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Traffic sucks in the Bay area as well as SoCal.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

just do it im in socal, been to bay area for vacation but i wish i could stay, can't go wrong with cali
Old 11-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Members

in san jose been here 4 20yrs and never want to leave.. it is expensive but its worth every penny as far as weather people and things 2 do.. Sf is 45 min away same with berkeley
Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Lived all 35 years of my life in San Jose and love it.. Keep in mind San Jose is a big city.. growing up in East SJ is a lot different from where I live now in South SJ. Also, people in IT choose to live in nearby cities too like Milpitas and even Santa Clara and Sunnyvale.. make the move! and then you can go to all the BMW events EuroCarFan organizes!!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='734532' date='Nov 29 2008, 06:06 PM
Lived all 35 years of my life in San Jose and love it.. Keep in mind San Jose is a big city.. growing up in East SJ is a lot different from where I live now in South SJ. Also, people in IT choose to live in nearby cities too like Milpitas and even Santa Clara and Sunnyvale.. make the move! and then you can go to all the BMW events EuroCarFan organizes!!
I heard ECF wants to move back to SoCal where all nobody flakes on the meets

j/k lol
Old 11-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 02" Porsche Carrera 911

I had made a thread just like this a few months ago, pretty much California is very expensive, but if thats not an issue then do it!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

I was thinking of moving to SOcal. I would never flake on a meet.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Moving to California (NorCal)