Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thank god and BMW that I'm still here

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='830280' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:16 PM
I don't know about stopping.... cuz if the G35 driver said something like 'that black bmw was racing me' or some sort, you could've gotten into
alot of trouble. Our cars, especially black ones, look like we're lookin for trouble

A friend of mine did something similar--- stopped to help etc -- ended up being accused by the people who had the accident in which he had
no part but had only witnessed.
+1
If he stopped the cop would have seen a busted up G35 and a modded out BMW.
The cop would have thought they were racing. Didnt even think about that.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport package- Sapphire black

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='829912' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:10 PM
Last night on the way home at about 3 AM I was driving down HWY 101 South from downtown SF. I just finished meeting up my friends at a nightclub and I was still sober even though I had a few drinks.

As I was driving, there's a merging lane up ahead coming from Embarcadero street, which made the freeway 5 lanes wide. I was cruising at about 75-80 mph when I saw this black G35 zooming past me on the very left lane while I was at the middle right lane. There was another car in front of the G35 which was going at a slower speed, I see the two cars get closer and closer. When the G35 tried to swerve the car to the right to dodge the incoming car while maintaining his speed all hell break loose. For some reason the G35 hit the brakes and the driver turned the car hard left while his half of his car body has not cleared the incoming car ahead. At high speed, the G35 went sudden right then hard left again puts the car out of control. I only had 1 guess, the driver was drunk since it was the time to go home after a Saturday night out. I could hear the tires screeching even though I had my music on inside the car. As it swerved left the G35 clipped the front car's rear bumper and the G35 slammed into the side wall at a 45 degree angle very hard. Then for all come to worse, the impact from hitting the sidewall didn't stop the car since the momentum was too great. The G35 bounced back INTO the freeway to the right, out of control at a 135 degree angle with the tires drifting heading into me. The whole incident probably happened for 5-6 second and I only had about a second or two to react when the G35 bounced back into the right lane. What I did to dodge the incoming G35 I pressed on the brake the brake slowly when the car was about 1 lane away from my car. I didn't want to slam the brake since I was afraid of putting my own car out of control or risk trying to avoid it by flooring the gas. Somehow I braked just in time for the incoming G35 to pass right in front of my eyes by maybe 2-3 ft away while I was still in motion. I don't know what happened next to the G35 but I could hear the car come to a crashing stop at the emergency lane's side walls. I think the G35 driver and I was lucky that the traffic behind us was quite far by maybe 100meters away since the crash could have been worse if 3 or 4 cars was trying to dodge a car that is swerving from the very left lane and wipe everything out in the right lane. I didn't stop the car after the near miss, on the way home I was completely zoned out and trying to recall what just happened and how close I was to being hit by that G35. If I didn't notice the car or tried to avoid it, I speculated that it would have T-boned my driver side considering the momentum that the G35 and my car was going.

When I was at home, I was afraid that the some debris from the crash flied down and hit my car. Luckily there's not a scratch when I inspected the car. In the end, I'm glad that I was safe and the car was also unharmed. Sharing this story helps me ease of my stress from the incident, so thank you all for listening...

Wow!!!! Im glad your okay and the car.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Contributors

The description of the careful braking and consideration of when to accelerate to avoid the out of control car sounds exactly like the scene in the new Fast and Furious movie where Vin Diesel avoids a similar accident in a similar way. You'll get flashbacks when you watch the movie
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='830280' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:16 AM
I don't know about stopping.... cuz if the G35 driver said something like 'that black bmw was racing me' or some sort, you could've gotten into
alot of trouble. Our cars, especially black ones, look like we're lookin for trouble

A friend of mine did something similar--- stopped to help etc -- ended up being accused by the people who had the accident in which he had
no part but had only witnessed.
I am not at all surprised. When people see you drive up in a 5 Series, they assume that you have $$$ and are a deep pocket.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='829957' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:11 PM
+1
You are required by law to stop and render air, considering the fact that you were in the midst of the wreckage.

Your atty or the local police can explain better.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='829957' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:11 PM
+1
You are required by law to stop and render air, considering the fact that you were in the midst of the wreckage.

I suspect that you would have stopped if you had not been drinking.

Some people call it taking responsibility for one's actions.

Others call it "manning up."

Put yourself in the shoes of the other car that was involved in the incident. Would you complain that one of the vehicles that saw the incident failed to stop and render aid?? I suspect you would.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='830667' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:14 PM

I suspect that you would have stopped if you had not been drinking.

Some people call it taking responsibility for one's actions.

Others call it "manning up."

Put yourself in the shoes of the other car that was involved in the incident. Would you complain that one of the vehicles that saw the incident failed to stop and render aid?? I suspect you would.

+1 You ARE required to stop and help in a situation where one may have been critically injured. Make no mistake you did not stop bc alcohol was consumed (notice I did not say anything about being drunk but few drinks = positive breathalyzer). If someone does report your car as being in the thick of the accident you will prob face charges depending on how aggressive the DA wants to be.

+1 for the "pay it forward" Stopping very well could have made the difference between lif and death for that driver. His being wreckless doesnt mean he should not be given possible life saving treatments.

I hope that if anyone in my family were in a wreck like that, that the people around are more compassionate than some of the self-proclaimed "self-preservationists"

Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='830667
+1 You ARE required to stop and help in a situation where one may have been critically injured. Make no mistake you did not stop bc alcohol was consumed (notice I did not say anything about being drunk but few drinks = positive breathalyzer). If someone does report your car as being in the thick of the accident you will prob face charges depending on how aggressive the DA wants to be.

+1 for the "pay it forward" Stopping very well could have made the difference between lif and death for that driver. His being wreckless doesnt mean he should not be given possible life saving treatments.

I hope that if anyone in my family were in a wreck like that, that the people around are more compassionate than some of the self-proclaimed "self-preservationists"

Just my humble opinion.
LOL
Where are you guys getting your info from.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
No law listed states that if you witness an accident you have to stop.
You have to stop only if you are involved in the accident, which he wasnt!

If someone does call in and manages to get his plate numbers and says he was in "the thick of accident"
a officer would go by his residence and inspect his vehicle and find no damage.
No signs of damage would clear him of any accusations.

And I would like to know if he did stop what kind of life saving treatments could he have provided.
I dont think he is a doctor and even if he was a doctor he would more than likely not be able to save him
without the proper equipment. The main cause of death in car accidents is brain trauma and internal bleeding.
Only hospitals can help you in those cases, but those chances are slim.
The only thing a person can do is call 911 which he did.

I am merely stating the facts, he was driving on a freeway, annother car lost control spun out and went behind him,
while he was still driving forward, stopping for the accident would have put him in danger on a freeway by either stopping
his car and walking to the accident or reversing his car to the accident. When arriving at the accident he would not be advised
to move the victim due to neck injury, could not assist in medical aid as he is not trained or equipped. All he could have do is call 911.
Which he already did. Since he was not involved in the accident he was not obligated to assist.

Check your laws before you make any claims on what you think your laws state!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

This is a bigger problem than it should be in our country...how many times have you been driving and a complete idiot come flying around all the cars around you and cuts off drivers....then tailgates...and then continues this kind of reckless driving with total disregard for ANYONE else around them??? Endangering EVERYONE around them??? It may not be a popular opinion, but I tend to then hope for that single vehicle fatality accident for this idiot!! In retrospect, I'm glad you are fine (car and all) and that the G35 driver will be paying for this for a long time to come!!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Glad to hear you're ok.

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='830951' date='Mar 30 2009, 03:57 PM
In Cailfornia Law your are not required by law to render aid.
He wasnt not in the midst of the wreckage he avoid the accident while it played out in front of him.
He didnt drive past the scene of an accident bc he was driving while the G35 was still in motion.
If you are on the freeway and you are still in motion while the car spins out of control goes behind you.
He would have to come to a stop, put his car in reverse at night on the freeway just to get to the accident.
I dont know about you but reverse on a freeway on a wknd night, not safe!

LOL
Where are you guys getting your info from.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
No law listed states that if you witness an accident you have to stop.
You have to stop only if you are involved in the accident, which he wasnt!

If someone does call in and manages to get his plate numbers and says he was in "the thick of accident"
a officer would go by his residence and inspect his vehicle and find no damage.
No signs of damage would clear him of any accusations.

And I would like to know if he did stop what kind of life saving treatments could he have provided.
I dont think he is a doctor and even if he was a doctor he would more than likely not be able to save him
without the proper equipment. The main cause of death in car accidents is brain trauma and internal bleeding.
Only hospitals can help you in those cases, but those chances are slim.
The only thing a person can do is call 911 which he did.

I am merely stating the facts, he was driving on a freeway, annother car lost control spun out and went behind him,
while he was still driving forward, stopping for the accident would have put him in danger on a freeway by either stopping
his car and walking to the accident or reversing his car to the accident. When arriving at the accident he would not be advised
to move the victim due to neck injury, could not assist in medical aid as he is not trained or equipped. All he could have do is call 911.
Which he already did. Since he was not involved in the accident he was not obligated to assist.

Check your laws before you make any claims on what you think your laws state!
Laws or not, I think the proper thing to do is to stop, check or render aid -- or at the very least be a material witness to the accident.

... which reminds of an accident I witnessed in Dallas county. I was heading east on I-30 coming from Arlington, TX driving back to Mesquite around 1-2am. Just before reaching the downtown area, I was forced to slow down due to an earlier accident that blocked the middle, left-lane and shoulder. A good Samaritan had stopped to render aid, checking to make sure everyone was Ok. At this point the car to my right had stopped as well; we were both well ahead of the earlier accident. I glance over to my left-side-view mirror and see headlights moving fast. I look back up and see the person who had stopped to help, waving and flashing his flashlight to the oncoming headlights hoping to get their attention and stop before they hit the cars from an earlier accident.

Unfortunately the driver was drunk, plows through the guy going at least 70+ mph -- clips his legs, sends him flying up in the air and continues to drive through the cars in the accident and bounces off to the opposite side of the freeway (far right lane). The person who had stopped to help lands about 15-20 feet in front of my car. One of his legs lands about 10 feet ahead. Troopers were there within minutes from the earlier call and I couldn't go anywhere. The troopers took my name and contact information down. Initially the drunk driver pleaded not guilty and I was summoned as a witness. He eventually pleaded guilty.

Quick Reply: Thank god and BMW that I'm still here