Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thank god and BMW that I'm still here

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Last night on the way home at about 3 AM I was driving down HWY 101 South from downtown SF. I just finished meeting up my friends at a nightclub and I was still sober even though I had a few drinks.

As I was driving, there's a merging lane up ahead coming from Embarcadero street, which made the freeway 5 lanes wide. I was cruising at about 75-80 mph when I saw this black G35 zooming past me on the very left lane while I was at the middle right lane. There was another car in front of the G35 which was going at a slower speed, I see the two cars get closer and closer. When the G35 tried to swerve the car to the right to dodge the incoming car while maintaining his speed all hell break loose. For some reason the G35 hit the brakes and the driver turned the car hard left while his half of his car body has not cleared the incoming car ahead. At high speed, the G35 went sudden right then hard left again puts the car out of control. I only had 1 guess, the driver was drunk since it was the time to go home after a Saturday night out. I could hear the tires screeching even though I had my music on inside the car. As it swerved left the G35 clipped the front car's rear bumper and the G35 slammed into the side wall at a 45 degree angle very hard. Then for all come to worse, the impact from hitting the sidewall didn't stop the car since the momentum was too great. The G35 bounced back INTO the freeway to the right, out of control at a 135 degree angle with the tires drifting heading into me. The whole incident probably happened for 5-6 second and I only had about a second or two to react when the G35 bounced back into the right lane. What I did to dodge the incoming G35 I pressed on the brake the brake slowly when the car was about 1 lane away from my car. I didn't want to slam the brake since I was afraid of putting my own car out of control or risk trying to avoid it by flooring the gas. Somehow I braked just in time for the incoming G35 to pass right in front of my eyes by maybe 2-3 ft away while I was still in motion. I don't know what happened next to the G35 but I could hear the car come to a crashing stop at the emergency lane's side walls. I think the G35 driver and I was lucky that the traffic behind us was quite far by maybe 100meters away since the crash could have been worse if 3 or 4 cars was trying to dodge a car that is swerving from the very left lane and wipe everything out in the right lane. I didn't stop the car after the near miss, on the way home I was completely zoned out and trying to recall what just happened and how close I was to being hit by that G35. If I didn't notice the car or tried to avoid it, I speculated that it would have T-boned my driver side considering the momentum that the G35 and my car was going.

When I was at home, I was afraid that the some debris from the crash flied down and hit my car. Luckily there's not a scratch when I inspected the car. In the end, I'm glad that I was safe and the car was also unharmed. Sharing this story helps me ease of my stress from the incident, so thank you all for listening...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

What club were you at?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

wow.. its scary shit like that that makes you go.."whew" holy smokes thank god you were okay and kinda saw the whole thing from start to finish..if he was drunk hell be in big trouble.. glad you and your car were safe..
Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Wow that a pretty intense situation.

Glad your ok. And glad your car is ok.

I was actually talking to someone on the forum yesterday how Infiniti drivers are crazy...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Members

The adrenalin rush must have been substantial. Glad you dodged a bullet!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='829912' date='Mar 29 2009, 10:10 PM
I was still sober even though I had a few drinks.
You're lucky you didn't have to stop and get breathalysed because if you had a few drinks then you weren't sober.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Glad you are ok, but stopping, making sure that no one was hurt and calling 911 might have been a civilized thing to do.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='829925
You're lucky you didn't have to stop and get breathalysed because if you had a few drinks then you weren't sober.
+1
I wouldnt have stopped either especially haivng a few drinks.
You could have been arrested for just being a good samaritan.
You may not think your drunk, but the breathalyzer can say otherwise.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Contributors

That's crazy. Glad nothing happened to you or your car.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='829947' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:56 PM
Glad you are ok, but stopping, making sure that no one was hurt and calling 911 might have been a civilized thing to do.
-1 When that could have got him arrested.
Especially stopping to check on some idiot driving that reckless.
I dont think he would want to spend the night in the drunk tank with the driver of the G35.

Quick Reply: Thank god and BMW that I'm still here