Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thank god and BMW that I'm still here

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='829965' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:15 PM
I was at a club called Roe, it's very close to SF's Moscone Center.

I didn't want to stop because I was afraid that I would get into a mess that I didn't do. However, I did try to call 911 right after the incident but the line was busy even after I try calling four times. I guess I wasn't the only one calling for help at that time

I'm glad you tried at least.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='829988' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:29 PM
Leaving the scene of an accident could also have gotten him in even more trouble if another witness further back gave the license plate number of a mysterious car that left the scene.

Does not matter how much of an idiot a person has been at least do the right thing. We've all done idiotic things in our time.

Its only leaving the scene of an accident if you are somehow involved in the accident.
In this case he was merely a bystander. He had no involvement in this accident. So basically your
arguement states that every person that witnesses an accident must stay at the scene or can be charged
for leaving the scene of an accident. No law states that you must give a report to an officer if you witness an
accident. When I was hit last Monday by a mini no cars stopped and gave statements. You can if you want, but
most people dont.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='829912' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:10 PM
Last night on the way home at about 3 AM I was driving down HWY 101 South from downtown SF. I just finished meeting up my friends at a nightclub and I was still sober even though I had a few drinks.

As I was driving, there's a merging lane up ahead coming from Embarcadero street, which made the freeway 5 lanes wide. I was cruising at about 75-80 mph when I saw this black G35 zooming past me on the very left lane while I was at the middle right lane. There was another car in front of the G35 which was going at a slower speed, I see the two cars get closer and closer. When the G35 tried to swerve the car to the right to dodge the incoming car while maintaining his speed all hell break loose. For some reason the G35 hit the brakes and the driver turned the car hard left while his half of his car body has not cleared the incoming car ahead. At high speed, the G35 went sudden right then hard left again puts the car out of control. I only had 1 guess, the driver was drunk since it was the time to go home after a Saturday night out. I could hear the tires screeching even though I had my music on inside the car. As it swerved left the G35 clipped the front car's rear bumper and the G35 slammed into the side wall at a 45 degree angle very hard. Then for all come to worse, the impact from hitting the sidewall didn't stop the car since the momentum was too great. The G35 bounced back INTO the freeway to the right, out of control at a 135 degree angle with the tires drifting heading into me. The whole incident probably happened for 5-6 second and I only had about a second or two to react when the G35 bounced back into the right lane. What I did to dodge the incoming G35 I pressed on the brake the brake slowly when the car was about 1 lane away from my car. I didn't want to slam the brake since I was afraid of putting my own car out of control or risk trying to avoid it by flooring the gas. Somehow I braked just in time for the incoming G35 to pass right in front of my eyes by maybe 2-3 ft away while I was still in motion. I don't know what happened next to the G35 but I could hear the car come to a crashing stop at the emergency lane's side walls. I think the G35 driver and I was lucky that the traffic behind us was quite far by maybe 100meters away since the crash could have been worse if 3 or 4 cars was trying to dodge a car that is swerving from the very left lane and wipe everything out in the right lane. I didn't stop the car after the near miss, on the way home I was completely zoned out and trying to recall what just happened and how close I was to being hit by that G35. If I didn't notice the car or tried to avoid it, I speculated that it would have T-boned my driver side considering the momentum that the G35 and my car was going.

When I was at home, I was afraid that the some debris from the crash flied down and hit my car. Luckily there's not a scratch when I inspected the car. In the end, I'm glad that I was safe and the car was also unharmed. Sharing this story helps me ease of my stress from the incident, so thank you all for listening...
Wow! Glad to hear you are OK and were unharmed. I'm not wading into the debate about whether you should have stopped or not. If you were not a part of the accident, and it sounds like you were not but were merely witnessing events happening in front of you, you did not have a legal obligation to stop. I'll watch others blast away at each other as to whether you should have stopped. Just happy that you're OK.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='830001' date='Mar 29 2009, 07:52 PM

Its only leaving the scene of an accident if you are somehow involved in the accident.
In this case he was merely a bystander. He had no involvement in this accident. So basically your
arguement states that every person that witnesses an accident must stay at the scene or can be charged
for leaving the scene of an accident. No law states that you must give a report to an officer if you witness an
accident. When I was hit last Monday by a mini no cars stopped and gave statements. You can if you want, but
most people dont.
What I'm saying is that given the seriousness of the incident someone could have viewed his action as suspicious and assumed he was involved in some way especially if their vantage point was obscured by his car, we have no idea what the other people saw. There was no argument made I never said that any witness can be charged for leaving a scene, I'm just stating that by him being so close to the accident someone else might think he was involved.

Sorry to hear you got hit, hope it wasn't serious!

PS I wasn't blasting anyone, he didn't stop and didn't have a legal obligation to.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e36 318i manual convertible top, 5 speed manual, calypso red/black soft top, cassette am/fm radio, heated sand leatherette seats, michelin mxv4 allseason tires (100% stock) e60 545i sport package, 6 speed manual, sapphire black, 18" 124 wheels bridgestone runflats (summer) 17" rial salerno dunlop runflats (winter) navigation, satelite radio, winter package, PDC, sunshades, wood trim, dakota leather seats (100% stock)

My hat's off to Ya!!! Good Barvarian brakes are a lifesaver --well worth the premium price for a BMW!

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='829912' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:10 PM
Last night on the way home at about 3 AM I was driving down HWY 101 South from downtown SF. I just finished meeting up my friends at a nightclub and I was still sober even though I had a few drinks.

As I was driving, there's a merging lane up ahead coming from Embarcadero street, which made the freeway 5 lanes wide. I was cruising at about 75-80 mph when I saw this black G35 zooming past me on the very left lane while I was at the middle right lane. There was another car in front of the G35 which was going at a slower speed, I see the two cars get closer and closer. When the G35 tried to swerve the car to the right to dodge the incoming car while maintaining his speed all hell break loose. For some reason the G35 hit the brakes and the driver turned the car hard left while his half of his car body has not cleared the incoming car ahead. At high speed, the G35 went sudden right then hard left again puts the car out of control. I only had 1 guess, the driver was drunk since it was the time to go home after a Saturday night out. I could hear the tires screeching even though I had my music on inside the car. As it swerved left the G35 clipped the front car's rear bumper and the G35 slammed into the side wall at a 45 degree angle very hard. Then for all come to worse, the impact from hitting the sidewall didn't stop the car since the momentum was too great. The G35 bounced back INTO the freeway to the right, out of control at a 135 degree angle with the tires drifting heading into me. The whole incident probably happened for 5-6 second and I only had about a second or two to react when the G35 bounced back into the right lane. What I did to dodge the incoming G35 I pressed on the brake the brake slowly when the car was about 1 lane away from my car. I didn't want to slam the brake since I was afraid of putting my own car out of control or risk trying to avoid it by flooring the gas. Somehow I braked just in time for the incoming G35 to pass right in front of my eyes by maybe 2-3 ft away while I was still in motion. I don't know what happened next to the G35 but I could hear the car come to a crashing stop at the emergency lane's side walls. I think the G35 driver and I was lucky that the traffic behind us was quite far by maybe 100meters away since the crash could have been worse if 3 or 4 cars was trying to dodge a car that is swerving from the very left lane and wipe everything out in the right lane. I didn't stop the car after the near miss, on the way home I was completely zoned out and trying to recall what just happened and how close I was to being hit by that G35. If I didn't notice the car or tried to avoid it, I speculated that it would have T-boned my driver side considering the momentum that the G35 and my car was going.

When I was at home, I was afraid that the some debris from the crash flied down and hit my car. Luckily there's not a scratch when I inspected the car. In the end, I'm glad that I was safe and the car was also unharmed. Sharing this story helps me ease of my stress from the incident, so thank you all for listening...
Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Glad to hear you're ok. I was picturing the scenario as I was reading - a testament to your descriptive writing.
Count your blessings...
Old 03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='829947' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:56 PM
Glad you are ok, but stopping, making sure that no one was hurt and calling 911 might have been a civilized thing to do.
+1. Pay it forward.

Will
Old 03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

Damn! Glad you are ok... That's a surreal experience for sure.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Contributors

Glad to hear your ok, its crazy out there.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I don't know about stopping.... cuz if the G35 driver said something like 'that black bmw was racing me' or some sort, you could've gotten into
alot of trouble. Our cars, especially black ones, look like we're lookin for trouble

A friend of mine did something similar--- stopped to help etc -- ended up being accused by the people who had the accident in which he had
no part but had only witnessed.

Quick Reply: Thank god and BMW that I'm still here