Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Thank god and BMW that I'm still here

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='829947' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:56 PM
Glad you are ok, but stopping, making sure that no one was hurt and calling 911 might have been a civilized thing to do.
+1
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='829947' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:56 PM
Glad you are ok, but stopping, making sure that no one was hurt and calling 911 might have been a civilized thing to do.
Have to agree. Sometimes doing the right thing (or at least how you would want others to treat you in the same situation) supersedes any risk to yourself - 'sober' or not.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

I was at a club called Roe, it's very close to SF's Moscone Center.

I didn't want to stop because I was afraid that I would get into a mess that I didn't do. However, I did try to call 911 right after the incident but the line was busy even after I try calling four times. I guess I wasn't the only one calling for help at that time
Old 03-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Glad to hear you and the car are okay... I was interested in your comment,

"What I did to dodge the incoming G35 I pressed on the brake the brake slowly when the car was about 1 lane away from my car. I didn't want to slam the brake since I was afraid of putting my own car out of control or risk trying to avoid it by flooring the gas. Somehow I braked just in time for the incoming G35 to pass right in front of my eyes by maybe 2-3 ft away while I was still in motion."

I wasn't there so can only try to recreate the evolving accident from the description, but from that I'd not try to second guess or "time" the performance of the brakes when you're at high speed traveling in a straight line. I'd get ON THEM more quickly than the description and recede from the developing mess to your side and in front... Trust the ABS and your ability to control the car -- in a car control clinic or a variety of other performance driving schools you learn these very techniques, and develop very high confidence in the systems - especially brakes - available to you.

Just a thought.

Cal
Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

I did slow down by pressing on the brakes with force but not by slamming it. The reason for this was that I didn't want to brake suddenly and hit any cars that's possibly behind me since I didn't have time to check my rear view mirror. Different people have different reaction times and I didn't want to risk further collisions by sudden hard braking even though they might or might not see the incoming G35.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by aznunknownx' post='829975' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:42 PM
I did slow down by pressing on the brakes with force but not by slamming it. The reason for this was that I didn't want to brake suddenly and hit any cars that's possibly behind me since I didn't have time to check my rear view mirror. Different people have different reaction times and I didn't want to risk further collisions by sudden hard braking even though they might or might not see the incoming G35.
I think the fact that you and your car got out of the situation unharmed is proof that you reacted just right
Old 03-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Once the initial shock wears off, just come out of it with something positive man. I don't know about Cailfornia law, but a single DUI conviction here in Illinois can ruin your life, literally...with no priors or anything! I hope that driver is ok...if I put myself in your shoes, I don't stop either. Self-preservation will kick in....

Anyway, glad you and the ride made it out ok man, stay safe!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Glad you were able to avoid the accident

Damn G drivers
Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='829936' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:29 PM
You're lucky you didn't have to stop and get breathalysed because if you had a few drinks then you weren't sober.
I'm certainly no advocate for drinking and driving, quite the opposite, but this statement not necessarily true. Many factors are included in the inebriation index (aka BAC scale): body weight, gender, food consumption, number of drinks, type of drinks, time elapsed, etc. For example, for the average person, the body metabolizes and/or expels (not digests) alcohol at apporximately .5 ounces per hour. If you are drinking a 5% beer, for example, there is approximately .6 ounces of alcohol per 12 ounce serving. Therefore, it takes slightly over 1 hour for one beer to be metabolized/expelled. If these "few drinks," say 3 for argument, were consumed over a 3-4 hour period, that is, with sufficient metabolation/expulsion time, then the individual would not be guilty of either DUI or DWI per California Vehicle Code section 23152, sections (a) or (b).

Good idea, no. Illegal/drunk in every situation, no.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by jdcinc21' post='829951' date='Mar 29 2009, 06:00 PM
-1 When that could have got him arrested.
Especially stopping to check on some idiot driving that reckless.
I dont think he would want to spend the night in the drunk tank with the driver of the G35.
Leaving the scene of an accident could also have gotten him in even more trouble if another witness further back gave the license plate number of a mysterious car that left the scene.

Does not matter how much of an idiot a person has been at least do the right thing. We've all done idiotic things in our time.

Quick Reply: Thank god and BMW that I'm still here