Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Terrible roads - what's being done?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Smile

I live in the NYC area and I can think of a few MAJOR highways that have been "under construction" for as long as I can remember. The roads - just about all the roads here - are simply shit! The roads in NYC are actually covered with something people call the "Lindsay tar", which - as opposed to "normal" asphalt - just falls the fvck apart in a couple of months after it goes on... I think we all know - in no certain terms, of course - that the system is fvcked and bla bla bla, and that there's a LOT of corruption, and that we'll never be able to change anything, and that we can just take it and so on and on...

BUT SERIOUSLY, we live in the greatest country - HOW LONG CAN WE TOLLERATE GETTING FVCKED?! Can't we - THE PEOPLE - do anything? I'm ready to file a law suit against the city and the whole world, if it helps - but it won't. But how long can this go on?! How come all industrialized nations don't deal with roads that fall apart in a matter of days, while New York - the city that was once called the "financial capital of the World" - has fvkcing potholes that can swallow 12 18-wheelers for breakfast?!?!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='949920' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:35 AM
How come all industrialized nations don't deal with roads that fall apart in a matter of days, while New York - the city that was once called the "financial capital of the World" - has fvkcing potholes that can swallow 12 18-wheelers for breakfast?!?!
1-Too many cars and trucks on the road
2-Higher priorities for your tax dollars

Not too long ago, Mayor Bloomberg proposed a toll for every vehicle that entered Manhattan. Everybody cried like stuck pigs about it and the proposal was never heard of again.

Of course, you could do what so many others have done - move.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

My roads are perfect, with many being completely refinished in the last few months. It's all a function of your tax base and how well the county is run.

With that said, I understand how bad NYC is - my sister lives there (and drives there) - road condition is really brutal.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i also think the worse the winters are= worse roads... all that salt and crap ruins the concrete creating black holes that suck us in.. they patch them with crap and ruin our wheels! i hate nyc roads
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

The roads out here in SoCal are pretty good, and when they are not, it gives one the chance to test the handling characteristics of the car!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='949920' date='Jul 22 2009, 02:35 AM
I live in the NYC area and I can think of a few MAJOR highways that have been "under construction" for as long as I can remember. The roads - just about all the roads here - are simply shit! The roads in NYC are actually covered with something people call the "Lindsay tar", which - as opposed to "normal" asphalt - just falls the fvck apart in a couple of months after it goes on... I think we all know - in no certain terms, of course - that the system is fvcked and bla bla bla, and that there's a LOT of corruption, and that we'll never be able to change anything, and that we can just take it and so on and on...

BUT SERIOUSLY, we live in the greatest country - HOW LONG CAN WE TOLLERATE GETTING FVCKED?! Can't we - THE PEOPLE - do anything? I'm ready to file a law suit against the city and the whole world, if it helps - but it won't. But how long can this go on?! How come all industrialized nations don't deal with roads that fall apart in a matter of days, while New York - the city that was once called the "financial capital of the World" - has fvkcing potholes that can swallow 12 18-wheelers for breakfast?!?!
Vlad - I guess you hit a bad one this morning.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='949920' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:35 PM

Vlad, the real problem in NYC is the fact that everything is run by unions (the single most undemocratic form of working) and they are lazy as f*@k and love OT. So there will never be good and proper roads in NYC as long as some fatass with barely a 6th grade education decides he needs a winter house in Florida and you should pay for it.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='950324' date='Jul 22 2009, 01:37 PM
Vlad, the real problem in NYC is the fact that everything is run by unions (the single most undemocratic form of working) and they are lazy as f*@k and love OT. So there will never be good and proper roads in NYC as long as some fatass with barely a 6th grade education decides he needs a winter house in Florida and you should pay for it.
Be careful. You know what type of people runs the union. Fugetaboutit.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i

The roads will never be fixed complete in NYC. =( If one highway is fixed, another section is f'd up and so on and so forth.

I drive every weekend from Queens to Staten Island throught the BQE and you can imagine the crap I deal with... I slow down super slow on some bumps.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='950324' date='Jul 22 2009, 01:37 PM
I served on the Community Board on the east side of Manhattan for two years (2005-2007) as an appointee of the Manhattan Borough President and my local councilmember. Although I am loath to get into specifics, suffice it to say that it was not a pleasant experience. I hated it and did not seek reappointment when my 2 year term expired. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had. I would agree that the unions own most NYC local politicians (not Mayor Bloomberg because he does not need their campaign money -- thanks goodness) and the unions have absolutely no incentive whatsoever to finish jobs quickly. Slow work means more work and more jobs.

Bottom line: the roads in NYC will never be fixed. Ever. That why I would never get 20 inch rims and evcn my 19s make me nervous. I have lost many wheels and tires to potholes on the POS roads of NYC -- especially the FDR Drive.

Vlad, if you want nice roads, move to So Cal. Great roads and, unlike So Florida, tons of twisties and canyon roads. Nor Cal is great too IMHO in terms of roads.

Quick Reply: Terrible roads - what's being done?!