Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

So much for the new WPA wireless encryption....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='991843' date='Aug 28 2009, 06:52 PM
Your mom is CCIE. Wow. We live in a condo so I understand there's not that much space. Definitely when I get a house I'm having a dedicated lab so I can play with everything.
Holy crap!! And I thought I was a G-E-E-K. Lol Misery loves company.

Anyway, for my home network I use WPA2 with AES algorithm and 128-bit strong password. This should deter most casual hackers. I also monitor my network frequently to see who/what's connected to it and so far nobody has tried anything. I live in a residential neighborhood with computer illiterate neighbors. In fact, I warned my neighbor that his network was unprotected because I could see it from my house and could have logged onto it, if I were a mean person. Needless to say, I helped him secure the network and now we're the only two networks on our immediate neighborhood. A real hacker who wants to get into a specific network will find a way no matter what we do. I doubt that a real hacker would even care about my pitiful network when there are so many more juicy networks out there. Also, as you know, a real hacker will hack a seriously protected network not necessarily to harm it, but for the thrill of being such a smart cookie for breaking into such an "unbreakable" network. He/she would not get any such thrill from my network and therefore would move on to better challenges.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

i have a wide open wifi honey pot setup at home that logs everything and since i live in a condo building i get A LOT of juicy information. muhahahah

michael

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='992448' date='Aug 29 2009, 10:56 AM
Holy crap!! And I thought I was a G-E-E-K. Lol Misery loves company.

Anyway, for my home network I use WPA2 with AES algorithm and 128-bit strong password. This should deter most casual hackers. I also monitor my network frequently to see who/what's connected to it and so far nobody has tried anything. I live in a residential neighborhood with computer illiterate neighbors. In fact, I warned my neighbor that his network was unprotected because I could see it from my house and could have logged onto it, if I were a mean person. Needless to say, I helped him secure the network and now we're the only two networks on our immediate neighborhood. A real hacker who wants to get into a specific network will find a way no matter what we do. I doubt that a real hacker would even care about my pitiful network when there are so many more juicy networks out there. Also, as you know, a real hacker will hack a seriously protected network not necessarily to harm it, but for the thrill of being such a smart cookie for breaking into such an "unbreakable" network. He/she would not get any such thrill from my network and therefore would move on to better challenges.