Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Using Wireless Router as Wireless Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey

Just wondering if I could use my wireless router as a wireless adapter.....?
Here's my situation:

I have 2 wireless routers, but 0 network adapters (wireless), except for one on my dad's laptop. So router A (Microsoft 802.11b = "Router A") is working fine.

Instead of going out and buying a NEW wireless adapter, can I use router B as a wireless adapter?

I heard that this was referred to as Network Bridging. I checked in my manual (Belkin 802.11b is "Router B" and here's what it said:

Using the Access Point Mode
Note: This advanced feature should be employed by advanced users only. The
Router can be configured to work as a wireless network access point. Using this
mode will defeat the NAT IP sharing feature and DHCP server. In AP mode, the
Router will need to be configured with an IP address that is in the same subnet
as the rest of the network that you will bridge to. The default IP address is
192.168.2.254 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. These can be customized for
your need.
1. Enable the AP mode my selecting “Enable” in the “Use as Access Point only”
page. When you select this option, you will be able to change the IP
settings.
2. Set your IP settings to match your network. Click “Apply Changes”.
3. Connect a cable from the WAN port on the Router to your existing network.
The Router is now acting as an Access Point. To access the Router advanced
user interface again, type the IP address you specified into your browser’s
navigation bar. You can set the encryption settings, MAC address filtering,
SSID and channel normally.

That's the ONLY thing I could find in there about Bridging. Unfortunately, step three says "Connect a CABLE to the existing router...", but I want to be able to connect Router B to Router A wirelessly, NOT with a cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

-TPG
Old 05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Interesting.

I've set up two DLink 2100 access points in bridging mode and they are transparent to the network on either side. Therefore, it doesn't matter what IP address you set in the 2100's. The IP addresses set were there to manage it as distinct from a requirement to have the same subnet addresses before it worked. These are plain AP's and not routers and so only have one LAN RJ45 connection. As far as I can remember and I'm not 100% sure but I I think I was also able to make a wireless connection from a PC to the AP while they were in bridging mode and converse with machines on the other side of the bridge.

Your problem is that u have routers. It looks like the Belkin uses the WAN port (I assume there is at least one other LAN port on the router) as the interface to one of the networks you want to bridge. Therefore on one side of the bridge (Side A)you will have a laptop A connected via a UTP cable to the WAN port on router A.

On the other side (Side how will the laptop connect - wireless to router B or via a UTP cable to router B's WAN port?

It's possible that while the Belkin router is in 'bridging mode' it may disable wireless accesses so ruling side B above out.

I think I have a DLink 774 router/switch in the office. If I get a chance tomorrow I will have a look at the config to see if the 774 can be set in bridge mode. Don't remember seeing this on the menu though but u never know.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should be a bit more clear.
"Router A" (the one that's connected) is in the basement. But "Router B" (the new one) is in my room, not connected yet. There's no way I can get an ethernet cable from Router A to Router B.

"(Side how will the laptop connect - wireless to router B or via a UTP cable to router B's WAN port?"

My computer in my room will connect to Router B via an ethernet cable

Thanks for the help.
-TPG
Old 05-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Bridging should work the way you want it to but, depending on the way it's implemented in the Belkin, you might lose the ability for router A to allow wireless connections from other devices. I setup a bridge between two Linksys access points a while ago and it worked fine, as long as you didn't want to have a wireless laptop or something else connect -- both access points had to be set to "bridge mode" which meant they didn't connect to anything but each other.

From the directions you posted, it sounds like you should be able to do what you want. The best thing to try first, if you haven't already, is to turn off any extra stuff like WEP (encryption) or MAC filtering until you get connected. After that, you can add back the security features one at a time.

Post the exact model numbers of both routers and if I get some time later tonight I'll see if I can find specific information from the user's manuals...
Old 05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='May 16 2005, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should be a bit more clear.
"Router A" (the one that's connected) is in the basement. But "Router B" (the new one) is in my room, not connected yet. There's no way I can get an ethernet cable from Router A to Router B.?

"(Side how will the laptop connect - wireless to router B or via a UTP cable to router B's WAN port?"

My computer in my room will connect to Router B via an ethernet cable

Thanks for the help.
-TPG
[snapback]129366[/snapback]

In the basement, you have router A (assuming for internet access) which is acting as an access point (AP mode) for wireless clients (your dads laptop) and routing packets off to the Internet. It appears while in this mode, the router will issue IP addresses to clients and NAT those clients addresses to allow Internet access. The WAN port is connected to your Internet providers device. Can I assume that the signal strength from the basement reaches your room and the laptop can access the internet from there.

In your room you have a PC with no wireless card only a standard ethernet card with an RJ45 connection. And u have a second Belkin wireless router.

In theory, once the signal from the basment reaches as far as your room, you should be able to create a 'wireless bridge' between the two Belkin routers. Then by connecting your PC to the ethernet (WAN) port on the Belkin in your room, you have internet access.

Unfortunately, from what I can make of your previous post, when setting up the Belkin in 'bridge mode', it seems to stop the routing/NAT'ing function of the router and if this happens on router A in the basement it will stop Internet access. Only thing I can think of then is to assign your PC with an IP address from the range of IP addresses supplied by your provider as the router A will then not be issuing IP addresses or NAT'ing. Unfortunately, your PC in then on the DIRTY side of the router exposed to the internet.

It's starting to look like another Belkin or a wireless card for your PC.

Solution! If the signal reaches from the basement, maybe the simplest thing is to buy a wireless card for your PC.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Hey,

I'm sure the signal strength is fine, I used to have a wireless card (about a year ago, but not anymore) up in my room.

Well... to tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure HOW to go about setting this up.

When I enter the setting "Set this router up as an Access Point", I hit 'Enabled'.
It then asks me for:

IP Adress
Subset Mask

I use the defaults:
IP: 192.168.2.254
Subset: 255.255.255.0

However on this MICROSOFT router (in the basement),
IP: 192.168.2.1
Subset: 255.255.255.0

The IP is different.

So, upstairs on the belkin I just hit "OK" using the default IP and nothing happens.

Should I set the SSID and the Wireless Channel on the Belkin as the same as the one on the Microsoft router?

Is there anything else I need to set up?

Thanks,
-TPG
Old 05-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Pentium Guy, please post the exact model numbers of the routers so I can help you out...
Old 05-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Microsoft MN-500
Belkin 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router (Part # F5D6231-4)

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

To go from wireless to cable you'd need a wireless client bridge like the Senao.
I use two of them to supply my dreambox sat recievers with a line where there are no utp outlets.
Personally I would simply get a Belkin PCMCIA wireless adapter. That's the simplest and cheapest solution.

Bridging the two routers is no use since one of them has to be a true router.
The bridging function is there to cross a certain distance without cables, in bridging mode they are dedicated bridges without dns and dhcp functionality meaning that your microsoft router is turned into a bridge and looses it's function as a router.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Alright. That's it , I'm buying an adapter. I got a bestbuy card I can use.... any tips?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1061127609610 Looks good to me.

-TPG

Quick Reply: Using Wireless Router as Wireless Adapter