Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Smoking the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by marcsuri' date='Sep 12 2005, 06:08 PM
[quote name='swajames' date='Sep 12 2005, 11:05 AM']
It just goes to show you, money can't buy brains... :thumbsdown:
[snapback]169681[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bit of an unneccessary post. The original poster posed a reasonable and thought provoking question. If we are honest, many of us will have done the same thing and had similar thoughts. Maybe money can't buy the ability to read a post, either.
[snapback]169703[/snapback]
[/quote]

My point was that his question dealt with childish and dangerous behavior. Frankly, public roads are no place for racing or "smoking" the competition. Reasonable and thought provoking? Are you serious? Sorry if you don't agree. Oh, and I can read just fine.
[snapback]169842[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sorry - but you appear to have missed the entire point of both the original post and my response as well. Neither the original poster, nor me, were suggesting racing is or was reasonable. Quite the opposite, it was about the emotions and questions that such behaviour generates after the fact.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Don't race on the road. It's dangerous, it's pointless, it's childish.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

My point was that his question dealt with childish and dangerous behavior. Frankly, public roads are no place for racing or "smoking" the competition. Reasonable and thought provoking? Are you serious? Sorry if you don't agree. Oh, and I can read just fine.
[/quote]

. . . money can't buy brains, and it can't buy a lot of things . . . but here are some FREE information for your brain.

Perhaps you should "widen" your brain about the effects of adrenaline. We all have it. To discuss our experience could help each other avoid future situation.

Perhaps you are docile, mature, level-minded, Mr/Ms perfect driver. Good for you. This topic doesn't apply to you. Surely, your comment should have reflected that person.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by marcsuri' date='Sep 12 2005, 08:21 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Sep 12 2005, 09:13 PM']
My point was that his question dealt with childish and dangerous behavior.? Frankly, public roads are no place for racing or "smoking" the competition.? Reasonable and thought provoking?? Are you serious?? Sorry if you don't agree.? Oh, and I can read just fine.
Do you ever drive over the speed limit? If so, then how many MPH do you drive over the speed limit, and under what circumstances? e.g., 45 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. e.g., 90 MPH in a 75 MPH zone.
[snapback]169843[/snapback]

If you equate speeding and racing you are wrong imho.
[snapback]169849[/snapback]
[/quote]I did not equate anything with anything. But, two points to consider. (1) Let he who is innocent cast the first stone. (2) And, one who is innocent would not cast any stone. I will note that intentional law breaking of the speeding variety also can, and frequently does, have bad consequences. And, you did not answer my original question.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Sep 12 2005, 10:30 PM
Don't race on the road. It's dangerous, it's pointless, it's childish.
[snapback]169869[/snapback]
Do you ever intentionally drive over the speed limit? If so, then how many MPH do you drive over the speed limit, and under what circumstances? e.g., 45 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. e.g., 90 MPH in a 75 MPH zone.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by g23' date='Sep 12 2005, 08:21 PM
Revised definition of "accidents". Sorry, about that.? I thought it was implied?

When people are injured from the result of a collision or a racing "accident," it is called an just that... and accident.?

However, once more information is discovered, often the term used should change too a "deliberate." Albeit, some of the time, it is an impulsive accident.... errr.... deliberate, but never forget; there still remains a decision to race, a choice is made by two drivers.? To accept the challenge, accept responsibility, and accept the consequences.

As you know, the consequences may ripple into many people?s lives in many ways.? Often, those who are affected from the decision were never in the vehicle(s), -- e.g. mother's, father?s, siblings, children, significant others, friends... etc.?

It is a valid and thought provoking post, no matter where you stand.? ? As for me... I feel I have too much to live for besides a pavement rush.? I would rather hop on a Ducati 999 at Laguna Seca.?

Again,? NO races for me?? Be it a Yugo... You win!
[snapback]169848[/snapback]
I kind of like the accident vs deliberate idea. But, still, the fact is that neither racing, speeding, going too slow, taking curves too fast, following too close, changing lanes unsafely, turning into the wrong lane, accelerating one's car to the limit even when not racing, stretching to make a red light, seeing if one's car will do 140 MPH, driving when under the influence, driving when one is too sleepy, nor over driving one's brakes when it is raining, etc., etc. are intended to hurt others, but each may do so. Doing each of these things reflects bad judgment, but none are intended to hurt others. All of us have done some of these, or similar things, and will do them again in the future. You (q23), admirably, haven't tossed any stones, but, in general, we do not need to judge each other for doing these things.

Doing so is very unproductive. Note the way this discussion went once judgments about others were made. I say examine your own behavior, driving and otherwise, and fix yourself before considering judging others. But, note that once you have fixed yourself you won't judge others.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Of those casting stones, does anyone drive sometimes when feeling the effects of alcohol, for example?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:44 PM
g23
Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 12 2005, 10:06 PM
Of those casting stones, does anyone drive sometimes when feeling the effects of alcohol, for example?
[snapback]169884[/snapback]

donv,

Smoking the Competition, Any regrets or guilt? -- This is the direction or scope of the initial post... right?

Stones or Stoned? I too, have broken laws including many of the moving violations as you so eloquently addressed. I eat and drive, use a cell phone? sometimes not even bluetooth, take off my shoes on long road trips?. Etc. Well said? . I unfortunately will continue to break/bend/push laws. Yet, I hope?. not recklessly or with malice. I did not bring these issues up because I was trying to keep the discussion on point. So, yes... I too, am unlawful!

Also note that my replies were never to be negative to one side or another on this issue; just to raise ideas.

Now, your response has shifted (pun intended) the initial topic of ?Smoking the Competition? and excitement generated from, to other forms of law breaking behind the wheel? Huh? Does this topic shift qualify or quantify this initial query of racing?

Anyway, I appreciate yours and everyone?s view on such a controversial subject. It is good to see what everyone feels and how they articulate their positions!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by g23' date='Sep 13 2005, 12:44 AM
[quote name='donv' date='Sep 12 2005, 10:06 PM']Of those casting stones, does anyone drive sometimes when feeling the effects of alcohol, for example?
[snapback]169884[/snapback]

"donv,

Smoking the Competition, Any regrets or guilt? -- This is the direction or scope of the initial post... right?"

Right.

"Stones or Stoned?"

I like it.

'I too, have broken laws including many of the moving violations as you so eloquently addressed. I eat and drive, use a cell phone? sometimes not even bluetooth, take off my shoes on long road trips?. Etc. Well said? . I unfortunately will continue to break/bend/push laws. Yet, I hope?. not recklessly or with malice. I did not bring these issues up because I was trying to keep the discussion on point. So, yes... I too, am unlawful!"

Right, we all are unlawful without malice, and our unlawful, but intentional, behavior could result in injury to others. So, we all are in the same boat. My intentional driving vices are an occassional impromtu up to 60 mph race and driving over the speed limit on the highway.

I am not sure what you mean by implying that our driving behavior can be intentional and unlawful, but not reckless--at least in regard to the sorts of things I mentioned earlier and those you mention above (except maybe taking your shoes off). I think of all these things are--intentional, unlawful, and reckless (in different degrees that I won't begin to try to assess).

And, while I did not indicate so, when I gave my initial list, I was assuming implicitly that all the misdeeds were intentional. But, note that it also is unlawful and reckless to do these misdeeds because one is not paying close enough attention to avoid doing them. So, doing the misdeeds unintentionally is not going to get one off the hook either. One has a choice whether to pay attention or not.

"Also note that my replies were never to be negative to one side or another on this issue; just to raise ideas."

Yes, I tried to acknowledge that in my last post.

"Now, your response has shifted (pun intended) the initial topic of ?Smoking the Competition? and excitement generated from, to other forms of law breaking behind the wheel? Huh? Does this topic shift qualify or quantify this initial query of racing?"

I would say that it is not pertinent to the original post. I wanted to make the points that we all are guilty of intentional, illegal, and reckless driving and that it is unproductive to make judgments about each other's vices, etc.

"Anyway, I appreciate yours and everyone?s view on such a controversial subject. It is good to see what everyone feels and how they articulate their positions! "

I agree. But, I'd prefer opinions, facts, etc., related to the topic and not to see judgments of others. I find standing up for those being judged to be irresistible. So, again, I plead quilty to posting irrelevancies in regard to the original post. I did make a relevant post earlier though; hope that atones a little. ~( ;^)

Incidentally, talk about something that should not happen either intentional or unintentional, should be against the law, and would be totally reckless to both myself and others--well, that would be me on a racetrack on a motorcycle. ~( ;^)

[snapback]169888[/snapback]
[/quote]

Please see above inserts.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:10 AM
Members

some people are pathetic.I dont need to be lectured aboutt driving fast.I am bright ,educated and successful in both my personal life and my business.I am very fit have under 6% body fat.
To the loser saying not to ever drive fast,are you overweight? thats just as dangerous as tobbacco.I was going 142 mph a few weeks ago on the sprain brook parkway.Doing that now and then is less dangerous then being overweight,so please keep the wimpy lectures to yourself

Quick Reply: Smoking the Competition