Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Smoking the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, reposted
Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

[/quote]

It just goes to show you, money can't buy brains... :thumbsdown:
[snapback]169681[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bit of an unneccessary post. The original poster posed a reasonable and thought provoking question. If we are honest, many of us will have done the same thing and had similar thoughts. Maybe money can't buy the ability to read a post, either.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Sep 12 2005, 04:56 AM
3. YES this happens me all the time because i just had too many accidents in my last years and the last one was the worst! 1 month in the hospital, a surgery and 4-5 months to properly walk again and learn to walk. i'll later post some pics of my accident?
[snapback]169658[/snapback]
I'll keep this point in mind . . . wait, I'll tape it to my windshield. Thanks.

Side note: What I meant about "wasting it" is that it's not worth racing/raging with a car that cost half the price of my car.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Sep 11 2005, 10:29 PM
"I know that many of you have smoked the competitors on the road with your bimmer. When that adrenaline pumps, safety and everything seem to jump out the windows."

I like the issues you raise.

"Personally, my wife made me promise no more road rage or impromptu racing when I got my 545i. Occassionally, I tell her that if you bought a v8, you have to drive like a v8 and not a 4 cylinder; hat never flys"

No road rage is an excellent idea. I never do road rage. Among other things, in Phoenix you'll get shot if you do. I do a little impromptu racing--see below.

"Anyways, I noticed that after smoking someone (my last episode was with a clk430), I felt:

1. Sorry for the guy"

I do an occassional impromptu race, but only when the other car is credible--one that should beat me if (a) my car were absolutely stock (e.g., my slightly modified 05 545i with auto versus a 550i) or (b) unless I am a better driver (e.g., my 02 Z06 versus a Viper). In other words, I impromtu occassionally only if the other driver would expect to beat me. I don't feel anything for the other driver.

"2. Bad that I wasted my vehicle for the adrenaline rush; it wasn't worth it."

I don't really get an adrenaline rush in my 545i, but my Z06, yes sometimes. I don't do impromtu racing for the adrenaline rush in either car. I do it to see if I can beat something I shouldn't be able to--either because my car is something of a sleeper (545i getting to be more and more of a sleeper) or because I am a better driver (don't get excited and spin wheels too much or miss shifts in Z06).

"3. Guilty because I was creating a safety hazard for everyone on the road, especially for the guy that I smoked."

I never feel guilty (long story why not, but it is a matter of philosophy and mental "training"), but I readily acknowldge that I have done something illegal and not smart.? The only good news is that I never go over 60 mph, and I never do impromptu racing in an overly congested area--whoever's ahead at 60 wins in my view. There is no justification for doing what I do no matter how I do it.

"Yet, this only comes up after the fact. I think adrenaline is an addiction. Please let me hear your opinions and when was the last time you smoked someone or vice versa."

In Phoenix, everyone seems to race their trucks, SUVs, and Vans from every stoplight. I usually am able to stay ahead without having to race (or is staying ahead racing?). I seldom meet up with a worthy adversary (as specified above) at a time/place that seems safe enough so I actually have very very few impromptu races. But, I plead quilty for the few times I do.

[snapback]169583[/snapback]
Please see inserts above.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 PM
g23
Members

I too, have felt the need, but do my best to refrain. Serious empathy!!!

However, my bro works in the ICU. I hear a lot of stories that are days, weeks, and years old that come from accidents. I think his input has redefined the word "accidents" for me.

It takes two to play tug-o-war...

Thanks for evoking the response!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by g23' date='Sep 12 2005, 05:31 PM
I too, have felt the need, but do my best to refrain.? Serious empathy!!!

However, my bro works in the ICU.? I hear a lot of stories that are days, weeks, and years old that come from accidents.? I think his input has redefined the word "accidents" for me.?

It takes two to play tug-o-war...?

Thanks for evoking the response!
[snapback]169798[/snapback]
I missed the point about redefining accidents. How do your old and new defintions read?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 330i

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Sep 12 2005, 11:05 AM
It just goes to show you, money can't buy brains... :thumbsdown:
[snapback]169681[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bit of an unneccessary post. The original poster posed a reasonable and thought provoking question. If we are honest, many of us will have done the same thing and had similar thoughts. Maybe money can't buy the ability to read a post, either.
[snapback]169703[/snapback]
[/quote]

My point was that his question dealt with childish and dangerous behavior. Frankly, public roads are no place for racing or "smoking" the competition. Reasonable and thought provoking? Are you serious? Sorry if you don't agree. Oh, and I can read just fine.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributors

My point was that his question dealt with childish and dangerous behavior.? Frankly, public roads are no place for racing or "smoking" the competition.? Reasonable and thought provoking?? Are you serious?? Sorry if you don't agree.? Oh, and I can read just fine.
[snapback]169842[/snapback]
Do you ever drive over the speed limit? If so, then how many MPH do you drive over the speed limit, and under what circumstances? e.g., 45 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. e.g., 90 MPH in a 75 MPH zone.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:21 PM
g23
Members

Revised definition of "accidents". Sorry, about that. I thought it was implied?

When people are injured from the result of a collision or a racing "accident," it is called an just that... and accident.

However, once more information is discovered, often the term used should change to a "deliberate." Albeit, some of the time, it is an impulsive accident.... errr.... deliberate, but never forget; there still remains a decision to race, a choice is made by two drivers. To accept the challenge, accept responsibility, and accept the consequences.

As you know, the consequences may ripple into many people?s lives in many ways. Often, those who are affected from the decision were never in the vehicle(s), -- e.g. mother's, father?s, siblings, children, significant others, friends... etc.

It is a valid and thought provoking post, no matter where you stand. As for me... I feel I have too much to live for besides a pavement rush. I would rather hop on a Ducati 999 at Laguna Seca.

Again, NO races for me? Be it a Yugo... You win!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 330i

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 12 2005, 09:13 PM
My point was that his question dealt with childish and dangerous behavior.? Frankly, public roads are no place for racing or "smoking" the competition.? Reasonable and thought provoking?? Are you serious?? Sorry if you don't agree.? Oh, and I can read just fine.
[snapback]169842[/snapback]
Do you ever drive over the speed limit? If so, then how many MPH do you drive over the speed limit, and under what circumstances? e.g., 45 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. e.g., 90 MPH in a 75 MPH zone.
[snapback]169843[/snapback]

If you equate speeding and racing you are wrong imho.

Quick Reply: Smoking the Competition