Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Signing up for BMWCCA tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

There is a place where I can use a current member as a reference... Does that give current members perks? points? etc? Anyone want me to use their name?

Comments on BMWCCA?

I'm kinda looking forward to reading Roundel
Old 08-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The club is great. If you have time, the driving schools held by local chapters are fun but if you do nothing else, the Roundel is worth the price. Don't forget about the reward $$ you can get back after you buy/lease a car and you've been a member for at least a year. (Don't let your membership lapse or you have to start over again.)

Also, most BMW dealers give a discount on parts to members.

I can't think of any reason to use me (or anyone) as a reference. I'm not aware of any benefits to doing so.

Enjoy it!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Contributors

I've been a member of BMWCCA since 1991 and have enjoyed the Roundel. HOWEVER, in the last few years I have become less fond of, and have less use for the Roundel for the following reasons:

1. One of my favorite things in Roundel used to be the "scoop" and info they would provide on upcoming BMW models. But with all the info now available on the internet the Roundel is at best two months late with the info. Also, a lot of their predictions and speculations over the years have been wrong and I have stopped believing many of the things they claim. You would think that with the connections they have inside BMW they would get it right more often than not.

2. The Roundel of recent years seems to be the print version of the Roadfly E60 board. What I mean by that is both the editorial staff and almost all the letters they choose to publish bash the new design direction of BMW, Bangle, i-Drive, etc. If I want to read that I could get a more lively and real time version of it online at Roadfly.

I would still keep my membership in BMWCCA but not for the same reasons as before. In 13 years of membership I have only attended two driving events (both of which were in my first year of membership), so these events were not the reason for me to keep my membership. The main reason for me was Roundel because of all the information I USED to get from it. Now that reason is almost non-existant for me, but I would mainly keep it for the BMWCCA discounts (rebates) and the occasional (and increasingly rare) usefull info from Roundel.

The funny thing is that I have bought 3 BMW's in the last ten years and have never been eligible for the BMW NA/BMWCCA rebate because they were either M cars, or new models. It used to take them a while to incorporate the new models in the rebate program. It looks like I will be able to get it this time though for my MY 2005 545i......unless they change something for the 2005 MY.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributors

I just joined the club in May. This is my 3rd BMW, and never knew about it before this car.

After two issues of Roundel, I'm disappointed in the magazine. I've not taken advantage of any of the racing, etc. (Probably won't). I'm pretty dissappointed in the bashing of the new designs. I'm sure there are many more members that have older models, and this is probably the reason for the slant.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out. Right now, I'm not sure I would join again.

Oh well.

James
Old 08-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

hmmm well, the $1000 discount on my next BMW may be the main reason to do it then... Sooner or later though, (especially with the E90 release on the horizon) all these design poo poo'ers will have to go buy a Saab or something.... and GOOD RIDDANCE!

Also... I had outpatient surgery today... so I forgot to sign up... maybe tomorrow...
Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Aug 11 2004, 04:22 PM
I just joined the club in May. This is my 3rd BMW, and never knew about it before this car.

After two issues of Roundel, I'm disappointed in the magazine. I've not taken advantage of any of the racing, etc. (Probably won't). I'm pretty dissappointed in the bashing of the new designs. I'm sure there are many more members that have older models, and this is probably the reason for the slant.

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out. Right now, I'm not sure I would join again.

Oh well.

James
Did you forget to get your rebate for your cars?? 3 Bimmers should have netted you at least $1500 (500/ car) if not $3000....

i joined when i got my E46... and even though I only did the yearly one plus associate...... it was well worth it... as when my mom got her X5.. it was like getting a $1000 discount.....

on top of that.i'm anticipating on using it for my 2005 545i.. wohoo!! $2000 for a little over $200 investment..
Old 08-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Initialdl' date='Aug 11 2004, 06:45 PM
Did you forget to get your rebate for your cars?? 3 Bimmers should have netted you at least $1500 (500/ car) if not $3000....

i joined when i got my E46... and even though I only did the yearly one plus associate...... it was well worth it... as when my mom got her X5.. it was like getting a $1000 discount.....

on top of that.i'm anticipating on using it for my 2005 545i.. wohoo!! $2000 for a little over $200 investment..
Like I said, I didn't know about it when I bought the two previous cars. That sure sounds like a compelling reason to join. I'm guessing I'll have this car for 3-5 years, so it will be some time before I can utilize that discount. Since I bought a Lexus prior to this car and after those it's not likely I would have kept my membership anyway.

I think it's kinda funny that people always criticize a new design, but over time they start to like it. I loved this model from the very beginning, and was a big fan of the previous 5 (bought the lexus only because I got more 'gadgets' for less money than the prev. 5).

James
Old 08-12-2004, 03:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I discussed the subject of getting used to a new model with my dealer last week.

In the begining I felt the rearlights were very much Peugeot 406 sedan like. He agreed with me on that and told me a lot of his customers said that to him in the beginning. Now he never hears that anymore because people got used to the look of the car and it's design.

I've been to the dutch introduction. There was a big party and the car were introduced for the first time. I loved the car from the first minute I saw it. I hoped I could buy it in a few years. Now a little more then a year later my dream has come true!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:50 AM
Members

I joined BMWCCA just a couple of months ago in June. I have enjoyed much of Roundel, but I too am growing tired of the bashing.

I love I-Drive, I love the new designs, and I fear the resistance may result in an overall degradation of the BMWCCA as a whole.

Has the BMWCCA become a group of luddites fearful of change? If so, I guess I too will sit back and take my car/parts rebate and let the rest of the club crumble.

Wonder if Satch or any of the Roundel editors even know we are here?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Maybe someone can send them an e-mail and tell them that we exist. This is a real enthusiasts board and may change bashers idea about the new way BMW is going.

Quick Reply: Signing up for BMWCCA tomorrow...