Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Recomendation for camera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Hey guys!

Im looking for a camera(i want a SLR)...price not more than 1k..Any suggestions?Greatlly appreciated!thanks!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='209882' date='Dec 11 2005, 06:40 AM
Hey guys!

Im looking for a camera(i want a SLR)...price not more than 1k..Any suggestions?Greatlly appreciated!thanks!
Can I assume you're looking for a digital camera?

We have two Panasonic LUMIX cameras - a 4 MP and a 5 MP. They make an 8 MP now. What I like the most is the fantastic zoom they have. 12x OPTICAL and 4x digital. That's an effective 36mm to 432mm lens before you go to the digital zoom. And it has great Macro capability as well. I've taken pictures of a castle on a hill across a river and it's like you're there. Window panes are crisp and clear. Pictures are saved on a SD card and you can get up to 1MB card that can hold as many as 7000 pictures in it

Another great thing is that you don't have to carry a bunch of lenses and switch for every type of situation. A buddy of mine has a Canon and he has 3/4 lenses that he brings with him when we go places. While he's opening his bag to select the right lens, I've taken 5 pictures already. We love these cameras.

My wife used one of these to take the pictures of the Ferrari and Porsche GT the other day - look for "Chased by a Ferrari" posted on the forum.

Then again, if you're a pro and need the utmost quality go with the Canon/Minolta/Nikon and lense combination.

I also have several SLR print film cameras and lenses (Minolta and Olympus, 28 - 70mm; 70 - 210; and 500mm, plus a teleconverter) that I have not used since I bought the LUMIX

I used a Canon at work with a 300mm sonar-focus lens and I remember taking pictures of a trailing helicopter, we're all shaking all to hell but the pictures were so clear and crisp that you cound see the eyebrows on the pilot and ALL the rivets on the windscreen on the shot. However, the lens alone was over 4K.

I hope this helps.

Santiago
Old 12-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' post='209912
Hey guys!

Can I assume you're looking for a digital camera?

We have two Panasonic LUMIX cameras - a 4 MP and a 5 MP. They make an 8 MP now. What I like the most is the fantastic zoom they have. 12x OPTICAL and 4x digital. That's an effective 36mm to 432mm lens before you go to the digital zoom. And it has great Macro capability as well. I've taken pictures of a castle on a hill across a river and it's like you're there. Window panes are crisp and clear. Pictures are saved on a SD card and you can get up to 1MB card that can hold as many as 7000 pictures in it

Another great thing is that you don't have to carry a bunch of lenses and switch for every type of situation. A buddy of mine has a Canon and he has 3/4 lenses that he brings with him when we go places. While he's opening his bag to select the right lens, I've taken 5 pictures already. We love these cameras.

My wife used one of these to take the pictures of the Ferrari and Porsche GT the other day - look for "Chased by a Ferrari" posted on the forum.

Then again, if you're a pro and need the utmost quality go with the Canon/Minolta/Nikon and lense combination.

I also have several SLR print film cameras and lenses (Minolta and Olympus, 28 - 70mm; 70 - 210; and 500mm, plus a teleconverter) that I have not used since I bought the LUMIX

I used a Canon at work with a 300mm sonar-focus lens and I remember taking pictures of a trailing helicopter, we're all shaking all to hell but the pictures were so clear and crisp that you cound see the eyebrows on the pilot and ALL the rivets on the windscreen on the shot. However, the lens alone was over 4K.

I hope this helps.

Santiago
[/quote]

Yeah im looking for a digital camera and i know about the hassle of those lenses and how heavy some are...
what do you think of this one:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_Digital_Rebe...l?tag=pdtl-list

I dunno if the lenses are good enough though...thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='209916' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:13 AM
Yeah im looking for a digital camera and i know about the hassle of those lenses and how heavy some are...

I'm sure it's a great camera, but again, you'll have to buy AND carry the different lenses. For what I do, my LUMIX is unbeatable.

Have fun making a decision..
Old 12-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' post='209919

I'm sure it's a great camera, but again, you'll have to buy AND carry the different lenses. For what I do, my LUMIX is unbeatable.

[/quote]

Is it a must to have with you different lenses for different occasions?Im not really a fanatic of photograph(im an amatuer in fact).I just need a good one for just taking pics...is the lens allrite for the camera in the link above?thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='209921
Originally Posted by m5lover' post='209916' date='Dec 11 2005, 10:13 AM

Is it a must to have with you different lenses for different occasions?Im not really a fanatic of photograph(im an amatuer in fact).I just need a good one for just taking pics...is the lens allrite for the camera in the link above?thanks!
[/quote]
It looks like you have your mind made up about that camera regardless so I hope you're happy with it. I am happy with mine and would not trade it for anything.

If you're so set on the Canon, I'd recommend you get at 28-80 and a 70-210 lens in addition to the 50 or 55mm lens it comes with. Oh yeah, don't forget the bag to carry it all.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

I have a canon rebel xt as well.
I carry the 17-40L a Tamron 28-75 and a canon 70-200 L with me most of the time.
Image quality is definately better on high iso speeds due to the larger sensor.
Startup time is almost zero and focus speed is much faster.
But like Santiago said before, it's what you want......carrying a bag of gear or just a single camera with a fantastic leica lens which is a bit slower but much more compact.

The DSLR pics also needs much more work on curves and sharpening in PS
The panasonic delivers perfect pictures out of the box.

You could also look at the sigma or tamron 18-200 for a start and buy better lenses once you get used to the SLR

Oh, the 28-80 is not an option as standard lens due to the 1,6 crop factor

One more, take a look at the Nikon D50
They have a fantastic new 18-200 VR lens, much better than the Tamron or Sigma

Although a good lens never exceeds the magic factor of 3 times zoom...they say
Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Yeah i just consulted with my bro and he said that the d50 is worthwhile(he has the canon eos-20d).I think im going to buy the rebel xt w/o the lenses and prolly buy a better one later on to save money.What do u guys think?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='210105' date='Dec 11 2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah i just consulted with my bro and he said that the d50 is worthwhile(he has the canon eos-20d).I think im going to buy the rebel xt w/o the lenses and prolly buy a better one later on to save money.What do u guys think?
i would recommend the rebel xt if you are getting into photography. the kit lens is fine for now and as you get more into it, you'll see the need for other lenses for what you are shooting. the d50 is along the same price point as the rebel. also consider the system you will be "investing" in. by that i mean, once you get into a canon, nikon, kodak, minolta, etc. you'll be buying lenses, flashes, etc. specific to that system and it'll be tought to switch to another brand if you have a bunch of equipment to one particular system. hope this helps. good luck.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Members

Nikon D50

Or spend a little bit more and get the D70