Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Rebuild New Orleans under the Sea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by melimel' post='659535' date='Sep 1 2008, 08:22 PM
i think this has taken off to where it shouldnt have gone... it was a simple question.. i believe he was just thinking out loud.. not disrespecting any city or nationality or race... i believe his point was when is the government going to wake up and do something smart about it.. instead of blowing billions and billions of dollars over and over . i believe it was as simple as that.. we all care about what happens to the building or rebuilding as you can call it of new orleans.. no fighting! please and no name calling!
First off, I didn't call anybody names. Second, given the situation that citizens are going through, his remarks were insensitive at best. Third, how about asking about properly building the levee system so this does not happen over and over again. It may have been a simple question to those not living through it but for the few of us on this board living through, it was awful timing.

You don't want the government to spend $200 billion 5 or 6 six times to rebuild New Orleans, then spend the $25 billion up front and build the levees that will protect the city and ensure it won't happen again.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='659989' date='Sep 2 2008, 01:01 PM
First off, I didn't call anybody names. Second, given the situation that citizens are going through, his remarks were insensitive at best. Third, how about asking about properly building the levee system so this does not happen over and over again. It may have been a simple question to those not living through it but for the few of us on this board living through, it was awful timing.

You don't want the government to spend $200 billion 5 or 6 six times to rebuild New Orleans, then spend the $25 billion up front and build the levees that will protect the city and ensure it won't happen again.
I have not read any facts on how much it would cost to build up the levee system, however, any observer can see that our government is much more likely to do emotional, reactionary spending as opposed to planning spending that prevents the need for the former. It's a sad fact, but it's true.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='659989' date='Sep 2 2008, 01:01 PM

you did name call.?? . you called juris335 "full of shit" .. and fjwagner "ignorant".. not called for imo.. :thumbsdown: maybe we are all not from NO, and we cannot feel what you feel.. or see what you see.. but i think everyone should be allowed to offer their thoughts and opinions about it without being told they are igorant or full of shit.. thats all i was saying.. we all dont know what the "right" thing to do for new orleans is..

analogy== that would like you offering me your thoughts and opinions about the world trade center and the cleanup and rebuildng of that ...and me calling you "full of shit" and "ignorant" without taking into consideration that everyone is entitled to their own opinion..but that wouldnt make me NAME CALL!! i was just being a mediator on this thread cause it IS such a sensitive topic!

that wouldnt be too nice of me.. and i am free to say what i want.. but that would make me look stupid because i didnt fully understand the point that was being made and i jumped the gun.. his remarks being "insensitive" that only YOU can say.. maybe yes or no.. my point was i sincerely doubt any remarks were aimed at the citizens of NO that way..

hope you and your family are okay during this tough season.. Mel
Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

and NO we dont want our government to spend 200$ billion 5 or 6 times instead of doing it the right way first... but then again our government is retarded! lol. . as we all know.. you guys especially..(down there in NO) once again if they did it right the first time maybe things would be different after that.. thats our lovely government.. they rather spend our money on more stupid things
Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

I have to agree with juris335! How many more people have to die, and how much more money will have to be spent before they learn? RE-LO-CATE!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='658619' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:48 PM
"They neglected the black population..." sounds like a speech from the democratic convention... What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Huh? More ignorance I see. The city has been run by a black mayor, city council, congressman and school board for more than 30 years. How has the black population been neglected other than by their own leaders?

Sorry about the crime problem in Houston, unfortunately you are correct on that point...
This is not the forum for this. There are plenty of reasons why segments of society suffer and seek opportunities, illicit or otherwise, that to understand will require visiting beyond the past 30 years. However, take a trip to any area where there is significant poverty and you'll see significant increases in crime, regardless of creed or color (areas of Appalacia come to mind, among others). A better question is what happens to personal responsibility when there are major disparities between the haves and the have-nots? Still, a question regarding should they rebuild New Orleans turining into a political/racial debate isn't warranted.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='669380' date='Sep 14 2008, 08:43 PM
This is not the forum for this. There are plenty of reasons why segments of society suffer and seek opportunities, illicit or otherwise, that to understand will require visiting beyond the past 30 years. However, take a trip to any area where there is significant poverty and you'll see significant increases in crime, regardless of creed or color (areas of Appalacia come to mind, among others). A better question is what happens to personal responsibility when there are major disparities between the haves and the have-nots? Still, a question regarding should they rebuild New Orleans turining into a political/racial debate isn't warranted.
Agreed that this forum is not the place for this discussion but I was not the one who raised race in the discussion. My answer was in response to another who did. And no one mentioned or implied that crime was somehow a result of race, other than you... In fact no one in this discussion has raised the issue of crime.

Also agree that race issues facing this country (not just New Orleans!) go way back more than 30 years but you are right, ultimately personal responsibility is a major issue in the Katrina story. Many people simply cannot be protected from themselves. Just are there were 20,000 people who did not leave Galveston Island before Ike arrived, we faced a similar situation here in New Orleans. What you never see in the national media is that while there were many poor who were not properly provided aid in evacuating, there were even more who chose to stay. They had cars, means to evacuate. There were literally thousands of cars in the Superdome parking lot and surrounding areas which took months to haul away because many of those folks were going to ride out the storm. When they realized how bad it was, they drove to the Superdome despite multiple warnings that it was not a shelter and was not equipped to weather the storm.

I think it is time this thread to come to an end. We are all good people here who love our cars, that is what has brought us together. There are proper forums for debating covering race, politics and the rebuilding of New Orleans...
Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='669395' date='Sep 14 2008, 07:30 PM
Agreed that this forum is not the place for this discussion but I was not the one who raised race in the discussion. My answer was in response to another who did. And no one mentioned or implied that crime was somehow a result of race, other than you... In fact no one in this discussion has raised the issue of crime.

Sigh Reread post 5, then your response in post 7 - even your apology regarding Houston's increased crime. It doesn't take rocket science to deduce the implied corrolation in this quote "after Katrina, we ended up with most of NO's scum in Houston and many stayed increasing our crime rate etc etc. This year, no accommodation has been made for storm evacuees. Our mayor has already announced that the Astrodome is closed up tight. NO is a prime example of decades of negligence by their own city and state government where it is a handout city for the most part. There are many fine people there, but they neglected the black population for too long" from fjwagner in post 5, and your subsequent discussion (and crime apology) in post 7. Regardless, lets leave it out of the threads here.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

like the political thread/november vote thread, this one needs to be locked up and let it R.I.P., IMO
Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='669413' date='Sep 14 2008, 11:11 PM
like the political thread/november vote thread, this one needs to be locked up and let it R.I.P., IMO
+1

Quick Reply: Rebuild New Orleans under the Sea?