Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

$6 a gallon?
I am now paying roughly $12 a liter = $48 a gallon in the UK
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545iA

Hmm, you are complaining if the gallon will cost 6$???? In Estonia the average salary is 1200$ minus taxes, wich are 22% and gallon of premium gas is around 7$, and there are many very thirsty cars on the streets. Of course practically no one saves any money here, or so it seems. And the fuel is almost the cheapest in Europe.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

You guys in the US don?t need new refineries; you need to think about your energy consumption. For a growth in the economy it?s not necessary to increase the oil consumption. Here in Denmark we have experienced a growth in the economy, which means more wealth, which leads to more driving, but we have in the same period reduced our oil consumption, as Bill Clinton said during his visit in Denmark, October 2007.

How?

Regulations from the government, high taxes on thirsty cars (like 530-550i). A public transportation network, which covers almost every single small town in Denmark, gives us the possibility to take the train or a bus, and many uses that for work each morning, or for all the children going to school.

I?m aware of your bad (non-excising) public transportation, but the first thing the US citizens could do, is to change their choice of car. Get rid of those thirsty SUV?s and buy a normal car.

Furthermore we also need to help China investing in renewable energy. The growth in the economy is so big and their electricity grids are not good, which increases the demand for oil NOW, since it?s an easy way to get electricity fast.

If the world would go from oil supplied electricity power plants and use a bigger fraction of renewable energy (wind power, hydro etc), the demand for oil would decline. Here in Denmark, 20% of our electricity is generated from wind power.

By the way, fuel prices today in Denmark: 9.1 USD/ US gallon (petrol).
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='588823' date='May 26 2008, 09:45 PM
I drive a 550 so I feel the pain too, but I did the math before buying and knew what I was getting into. I don't have much sympathy for a soccer mom driving an SUV with two kids, it's excessive, but we as Americans do it.

I agree 100% with you. My 550 isnt the greatest as far as MPG, but I knew the issue before I bought it, and while i hate the cost of gas, I can absorb it.

My wife and I have been looking at replacing her 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan with an SUV. I really, really, really wanted to get the Infiniti QX56, but honestly, I just couldnt fathom the 12 mpg suggested by the manufacturer, which I am sure is really closer to 9-10 mpg. And I cannot imagine dealers can sell pre-owned full size SUV's at this point.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Senior Members

Just for comparison.
Here's a table that shows the gasprice in Sweden and how it is divided and where the money goes.
The table is in both Swedish Krona and USD. Price are official average price excluding discounts as of april 2008.
NOTE: The price right now is much higher!! About 13,20 kr! Currency rate used in the calc is 6 kr/dollar.
(I don't know the exact amount for each type of tax...it's horrible anyway.)
Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we all know the U.S. needs to do more on all fronts.

But short term (ie: next 15+ years) if gas price continue to go sky high there is many and I mean many Americans that are going to be screwed. Even right now for many the difference between $2.50 a gallon and $4.00 a gallon is the difference if little Johnny gets new clothes or a few less birthday gifts. Some people are already having a hard time putting gas in there car to get to work and back. They don't make enough to live 5 miles from there job. They have to live 30+ miles out to even afford housing. There isn't any alternative way to get to work. They cut down on getting rid of cell phones, extra cable channels, internet, etc. etc.. So what are they suppose to do? The prices are already started to put a major burden on many people. There is much more people who are just flat out screwed in the end no matter what they do to cut down on money then people who will be fine. It turns into anarchy/mass depression in the economy. In the end people lose jobs, divorce, wellfare, and this list could on and on at record highs never seen before. Gas will be the least of are worries.

Lets face facts here most of us driving BMW's have some it pretty good comapred to most of America. Some of us may not be rich but we are better off then many.

U.S. was built on cheap energy. You can't change the info. stucture of the U.S. over night. Some people say tax these cars like BMW 5's and so on. Guess what you do that in the U.S. and BMW I would guess would lose around 75% of its U.S. sales. One thing all Americans hate more then gas prices is TAXES.

I know China has gone nuts over there. But how much of an over all factor does going from 1.50 a gallon to $4.00 gallon in less then 7 years is to blame on China??

And to the people still complaining about profits and so fourth with these oil companies you can't put these company's in the same like as Microsoft or any other company. There isn't another product that effects everyone and I mean everyone on every aspect of there life. Gas goes and so does everything else. Record prices on food, consumer goods, and you get the idea. These companies are in a class by themselves.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='588818' date='May 26 2008, 09:30 PM
In the late 70's early 80's there was a small crisis and what did they do? They shut down gas stations on Sundays and if I remember my history correct didn't they also make gas stations stop sell gas at a certain time one day a week along with the no gas sales on Sunday? Maybe something like this needs to be done again. Less demand should lower the price. Yet in oil economics I'm sure those greedy SOB's would raise the price to recoupe that lost.
I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. Closing down gas stations does nothing to affect the demand for gas, it only restricts the supply of gas. It would be like saying "hey, why don't we save gas by making gas pumps use really small nozzles that barely trickle out the gas." If you closed all the gas stations on Sundays, then Monday morning there would be longer lines at the pumps, not less gas demanded. Many states don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday, but that doesn't stop people from drinking.

This thread is great, with some very insightful comments and suggestions. My thought is this: As the price of gas increases, it begins to make it financially viable to explore alternatives. No one is going to spend millions of dollars to come up with a gas substitute when gas itself is $1.24 a gallon, but when gas is $4/gal, and the demand is high and supply limited, then there is very large incentive to come up with something, which someone will do. Whether it's more biodiesel, ethanol (which I don't believe it), hydrogen, natural gas, french-fry oil, human waste, etc., I don't know, but something will be developed.

Interestingly, I also read this weekend about a group of people who believe in "Peak Oil," and the theory that we have hit "critical mass" and from now until 2012 the world's oil supplies are going to dry up, putting the world into chaos. These folks are moving to ranches, learning how to farm and grow their own food, use wood stoves to cook and heat their homes, and arming themselves to fight off the "city folk" who will one day leave the city and start scavaging for food. Interesting theory... would make a good book/movie, but I don't believe it.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfonze' post='589049' date='May 27 2008, 04:52 AM
Hmm, you are complaining if the gallon will cost 6$???? In Estonia the average salary is 1200$ minus taxes, wich are 22% and gallon of premium gas is around 7$, and there are many very thirsty cars on the streets. Of course practically no one saves any money here, or so it seems. And the fuel is almost the cheapest in Europe.
Dear friends from Europe, we are not complaining. We discuss it.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Alpine White 530i

Two words: PEAK OIL. Read up on it online, it's depressing. If gas prices exceed $10 a gallon which many expect them to as early as 2010 the following will occur:
--Continued recession with public rioting, unrest, etc.
--Utility bills (gas, electricity, water) will go through the roof making it unaffordable for many to have basics
--Average American will no longer be able to afford a vehicle
--Suburban living will be destroyed as people are forced to live close to their jobs and basic necessities (grocery stores, medical etc)
--Products offered locally will be minimized as shipping costs will exceed product costs and make heavy transportation unaffordable
--Food costs will continue to rise for those foods which are shipped in and not produced locally
--Anything that requires some form of oil in the manufacturing process (ALMOST EVERYTHING! plastics, metals, you name it, it requires oil) will also skyrocket

Anyone else excited?

Many scientists predict that we will literally bump ourselves back to the stone age because EVERYTHING we use requires some form of oil to be produced. They look at our evolution on a huge timeline and the amount of technology we created in the last century looks like a tiny blip. It's scary!

My advice? Grow a garden in your backyard and pray
Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Take a look on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_usage_and_pricing

Cheapest in USD
Venezuela : $0.05 /litre or $0.19/gallon

Expensive
Finland: $7.01/litre

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.