Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Hello BMW NA Customer Relations.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='594661' date='Jun 3 2008, 03:34 PM
cars are 30% cheaper in the UK? I think you will find that all E60 are considerably more than the equivalent USA cost and we get less std equipment. It may be that our wages are a little higher (minimum wage is approx $10 an hour) but then we get screwed for high costs on everything. Even the USA built cars (such as the old dodge neon) were sold at approx 70% more cost than the USA price.

$10 mimimum wage might look good, but bear in mind we pay 31% taxes on that after $11k is earnt. Its also distorted by the dollar being particularly poor against the pound nowadays.
I always wonder how you guys across the pond make a go. My parents take in about two to four foreign exchange students each year (been doing it now for about 8+ years) from Europe. I'll usually take them out to bars and show them around to more interesting young adult kind of stuff so I get to know them pretty well. I'm always taking back by what they are going to school for. Many simple jobs in the U.S. like landscaping, housekeeping, customer service, etc. etc. that you don't even need a highschool education in the US to get (at least in some cases) their going to college for. I've always known there education system is much different then in the US but never thought to that extent. Then we'll usually get to talking about wages for different fields of work and I'm always shocked at how low they say the avg. pay is in many fields. Having traveled to Europe a few times and my parents quite a few times I know it isn't cheap to live there. Just shocking to me how they can get stretch so much out of a dollar. I think I'd be broke in month

P.S.: I can't even begin to imange paying what you guys do for cars and then paying to fill the tank up.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='588777' date='May 27 2008, 01:15 AM
A question which should have been asked a long time ago in this country. Don't know if we'll get to $6/gallon, but it is going up from here. Though it's not purely a horespower question. There was an awful story on our local news last night with the reporter asking folks at a local gas station about how gas prices were impacting travel plans. Literally all seven people interviewed were standing in front of their huge pick up or suburban. Not even a small SUV, monsters. A couple said the government was not doing enough to regulate the price of gas! We in America do not have a God given right to cheap gasoline. If you need to move a lot of people, get a Honda minivan. The gas mileage is so much better than a full-size Ford or Chevy SUV.

Sorry for the rant but we as Americans complain about gasoline prices while we preach free market economics to the world. This is free market economic at work. China, India and the rest of developing world are growing demand for oil so fast it has overwhelmed the ability of oil companies or national oil companies to keep up. Maybe we as a country need to curb our demand oil...

Guys! even $6 per galon would be very welcomed in the UK! Here galon (4.5 litre) of diesel costs about ?6, which is about $10-12! Now i'm really jelous!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='594692' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:56 PM
I always wonder how you guys across the pond make a go. My parents take in about two to four foreign exchange students each year (been doing it now for about 8+ years) from Europe. I'll usually take them out to bars and show them around to more interesting young adult kind of stuff so I get to know them pretty well. I'm always taking back by what they are going to school for. Many simple jobs in the U.S. like landscaping, housekeeping, customer service, etc. etc. that you don't even need a highschool education in the US to get (at least in some cases) their going to college for. I've always known there education system is much different then in the US but never thought to that extent. Then we'll usually get to talking about wages for different fields of work and I'm always shocked at how low they say the avg. pay is in many fields. Having traveled to Europe a few times and my parents quite a few times I know it isn't cheap to live there. Just shocking to me how they can get stretch so much out of a dollar. I think I'd be broke in month

P.S.: I can't even begin to imange paying what you guys do for cars and then paying to fill the tank up.

Good Lad!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

$4.95 for premium here in san ramon, cali.
six bucks is almost here.....

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='588771' date='May 26 2008, 04:51 PM
Horse power or your wallet? Isn't it time to think about it?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Can someone please explain to me how we can invade the second largest oil producing country in the world and have gas prices double?? That makes no sense at all. You would think that the president was in the oil business rather then busy running our country.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Members

Go to http://www.petrolprices.com and look at the comments section to the latest blog entry for an insight to how bad it's become in the UK right now. Convert 1 pound (sometimes called a "quid". On my first ever trip to the US I met a guy from North Carolina who was my best friend because I had some spare UK change and gave him a "quid") to 2 US dollars.

The UK is a very different culture to the US, we seem to let companies charge us double what the rest of the world pays for the exact same products. We huff and puff under our breaths but we do nothing about it. We just pay. In fact, the last time I exclaimed in surprise "HOW MUCH???!!!" in my local supermarket, the checkout girl just looked at me as if I'd just told her she was a female canine who works in the worlds oldest profession.

In the multinational corporate world, the UK is known affectionately as "Treasure Island". The companies themselves will blame VAT on this.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by providenceleaf' post='588806' date='May 26 2008, 07:19 PM
I agree. A bunch of us were talking about this the other day. Numbers for retail store sales are on the decline. The housing market is still chaotic. Oh yeah, there is this useless war going on right now too. Our country is a mess while the oil companies continue to make RECORD profits every quarter! It's unbelievable that nothing has be done about this. Does anyone realize that when Bush took office in 2000 oil was $27 a barrel? 8 years later it's at $135 and still going up?!?!

If $5 a gallon is around the corner we are in trouble. If it hits $6 you are looking at a total economic melt down happening in this country. Many people may lose our jobs! Many more unfortunate people will not be able to afford to heat their homes. I remember just 3 years ago I was paying $1.79 a gallon for home heating oil. My last bill over a month ago was $4.10 a gallon! I'm okay, but what about those people that are struggling now?

Useless war! Well let me tell you about this useless war - It has caused one of my best friends to pass away for his country in a attack helicopter, caused me to go to his daughters wedding and read a poem of why he was not at the table they set up for him and thats to name a close one. Most recently, yesterday, 2 close friends went down in another helicopter, one may be paralyzed from the waist down and the other is in back brace. This doesn't speak for the 4200 or so who have given all for there country so you can sit at home on your fat ass shining your BMW and drinking a toddy. So keep the "Useless War" crap comments between yourself and the rest of your friends who are at hoem right now safe and sound. Maybe you need to make a phone call to the wife who is leaving tomorrow to head out to Walter Reed to meet her husband who may never walk again. OR, maybe you should be standing on the ground with the "Gold Star Wives" (those who have given the ultimate sacrifice) while we do the missing man flyover on Saturday. That would be a humbing experience that will surely change your tone! Oh, did I forget to mention all the terrorists that we put in a hole so you can polish your prized possession in peace this weekend! Forgive the rant, but comments like these really piss me off when its up close and personal. I surmise your a bleeding heart democrat? Thats OK, get one of your buddies to give you a hug and tell you it will all be OK! WE will make it OK!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sixgun95' post='595164' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:46 PM
Useless war! Well let me tell you about this useless war - It has caused one of my best friends to pass away for his country in a attack helicopter, caused me to go to his daughters wedding and read a poem of why he was not at the table they set up for him and thats to name a close one. Most recently, yesterday, 2 close friends went down in another helicopter, one may be paralyzed from the waist down and the other is in back brace. This doesn't speak for the 4200 or so who have given all for there country so you can sit at home on your fat ass shining your BMW and drinking a toddy. So keep the "Useless War" crap comments between yourself and the rest of your friends who are at hoem right now safe and sound. Maybe you need to make a phone call to the wife who is leaving tomorrow to head out to Walter Reed to meet her husband who may never walk again. OR, maybe you should be standing on the ground with the "Gold Star Wives" (those who have given the ultimate sacrifice) while we do the missing man flyover on Saturday. That would be a humbing experience that will surely change your tone! Oh, did I forget to mention all the terrorists that we put in a hole so you can polish your prized possession in peace this weekend! Forgive the rant, but comments like these really piss me off when its up close and personal. I surmise your a bleeding heart democrat? Thats OK, get one of your buddies to give you a hug and tell you it will all be OK! WE will make it OK! And you are worried about gas prices - Remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and more importantly their families - The gas prices won't seem so horrible then will they!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Members

i just read the first page and i cant believe you guys, south in the US, are complaining about your gas price.

in Richmond, Vancouver, Whiterock, Langley, which are cities at most 100km away from the boarder, we are currently suffering a price of $1.45/L, which is 5.49/G, for 94 octane.

everytime when we cross the boarder, we always make sure we fill up the tank before we come back to canada. that is the only thing you dont have to pay taxES on when you cross the boarder back to Canada.

i miss the time when gas is only 50C/L in Canada 7 years ago......

that is it for my rant..

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.