Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

IT Pros

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='984107' date='Aug 21 2009, 05:01 AM
For upgrading RAM on a 24" iMac, what's so hard about removing one screw?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423
My bad! Ram is easy to replace, but if you want to swap the hdd with a ssd all i can say is good luck.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='984363' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:44 PM
Not so sure about that one... I support my sister and her MBP (Macbook Pro). A lot about all-in-one printers are the other functions like fax, scan, etc...

These -all- require a software suite to function properly, and often special drivers (TWAIN for scanning, etc...)

It isn't realistic for -any- OS to have all of these, or all the drivers for any peripherals for that matter.

Speaking of SSDs, the new Gen2 Intel SSDs don't have halogen in them (a green thing), so Apple should be adopting them as an option soon. They stayed away from the Gen1 Intel drives (even though they were by far the best) due to the halogen content.
Yeah man but that's nothing compared to what one endures in Windows: drivers for the motherboard, drivers for video cards, for sound cards, even for keyboards and mouse and all this having to look out for and then also keep an eye on updates, because we all know driver updates from MS = crap. Not once my PC got screwed up by installing nForce drivers from Windows Update.

Sure in OS X you have to install some drivers for some peripherals but that's it. That's where it ends! Chances are you'll never see the word "driver" again, not even in the Apple Software Update. It's all just seamless.
They stayed away from the Gen1 Intel drives (even though they were by far the best) due to the halogen content.
Interesting but i saw that some MLC SSDs like OCZ Vertex Turbo or Crucial M225 and others too, far surpassed the Intel X25-Ms, especially in write performance. Seeing the 2nd gen Intel mainstreams, i cannot wonder why Intel "only" doubled the write speed from 80MBs (1st gen) to 160MBs(current gen) when all the competition is doing 200-210MBs for MLCs.

I didn't know Apple stayed away from Intel due to the Halogen content...because i think performance wasn't on par also....
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='978428' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:31 PM
I would use XP over Vista any day.
I dunno why, but I've never had any problems with Vista. It has been smooth and reliable ever since I got it and I also had a smoot transition installing SP1 and SP2 (yesterday). So far SP2 seems to be working great and augv jjxni yg uxjjnn o oh uyg xc xyygyg yhyg........

Hahahahaha, fooled ya! Still nothing wrong with SP2.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='985298' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:16 AM
Interesting but i saw that some MLC SSDs like OCZ Vertex Turbo or Crucial M225 and others too, far surpassed the Intel X25-Ms, especially in write performance. Seeing the 2nd gen Intel mainstreams, i cannot wonder why Intel "only" doubled the write speed from 80MBs (1st gen) to 160MBs(current gen) when all the competition is doing 200-210MBs for MLCs.

I didn't know Apple stayed away from Intel due to the Halogen content...because i think performance wasn't on par also....

The random write metric is what counts... performance in this area is what gives the OS and the computer the most speed. Intel SSDs are the pinnacle of performance in this regard for MLCs.

The Legit Reviews article on the Gen2 is quite good and runs it through a number of benchmarks.

It's funny too that you couldn't order an Apple with Intel SSDs - those first gen X25-Ms had Apple written all over them. A superior product, built like a tank, and the highest price tag.