Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Police have me on video doing 101mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009 | 04:03 AM
Contributors

Smile

Just got a letter this morning from the German police. They say they've got video of me doing 162km/h (101mph). That's not the part they're interested in though as it was an unrestricted section of Autobahn (and if it wasn't, I wouldn't have been doing that speed).

Instead, they were measuring gaps ("Abstand") between cars. They say my gap to the car in front was only 35 metres (38.2 yards or 115 feet). That's about 7 car lengths in my reckoning, assuming 5 metres per car. Apparently it's not enough, they demand nearly double that (67.5 metres).

As of this year, it's a 2 point penalty on your license and a fine. Luckily, this was on the 15th of December, so last year's rules apply and it's only a fine (which will be under $100 so I'm not going to cry much about that).

Anyone else think 7 car lengths is a fair gap at 100mph? Sure I couldn't stop in that distance, but neither could the car in front even if his wheels fell off. You see a lot of people, at even higher speeds, who have a one-car (or less) gap to the car in front. I was of the opinion that I'm usually pretty good at leaving a safe gap.
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

!!
This is the first time I hear about this type of ticket!!
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Hi, I'm glad they started giving tickets for this - some people like to lick bumpers (usually it's enough when you press brake pedal for half a second and they have hard labour with the steering wheel and their brakes).

I think you would be able to react in your E60 in 35m well but safety is safety .. 162Km/h is a high speed, you run at 45m/s so I guess if you were 35m behind the other car, you would need to react in under 1s and that is quick
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:22 AM
Members

Here in Holland you would loose your license for that sort of driving offence (not the high speed but tailgating). The rule that is used here is a simple 2 second rule..you have to time yourself at more than 2 seconds apart, you can do that easily by things you both pass..
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hondik' post='764291
I think you would be able to react in your E60 in 35m well but safety is safety .. 162Km/h is a high speed, you run at 45m/s so I guess if you were 35m behind the other car, you would need to react in under 1s and that is quick
I feel confident I could react, with me being a left-foot braker. The adrenalin pumps higher at those speeds so you generally react quicker. Doesn't help me whether or not I "felt" I could stop in that time though.

The plain fact is, the law says 67.5 metres and I had only 35 metres. I accept that. Thought some here would like to hear about it. If I'd been asked in some kind of automotive pop quiz though, I would have guess somewhere between 25 and 50 metres would have been the legal minimum gap for that speed.

Originally Posted by hibberd' post='764294' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:22 PM
Here in Holland you would loose your license for that sort of driving offence (not the high speed but tailgating). The rule that is used here is a simple 2 second rule..you have to time yourself at more than 2 seconds apart, you can do that easily by things you both pass..
Was I really tailgating with a 7 car gap ? I didn't think I was. I'd like to hear what people think.
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SE 4d Auto.

I heard a while back they were looking to introduce these cameras in the UK, but I think it's still the case that there is no specific offence for 'tailgating'. Of course, you can always be prosecuted under the 'without due care' law.

As for safe distances, in the UK there are 2 'guidlines' that one might use. First, according to the Highway Code the stopping distance at 70mph is 315ft. Obviously at 101mph it would come out quite a bit higher. Second, there is the more vague '2-second' rule, i.e. you should be (at least) 2 seconds behind the car in front. At 101mph that's about 280ft.

So I think either way 115 ft might be considered a bit on the low side
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='764295' date='Jan 10 2009, 08:25 AM
I completely agree. They've been giving tickets for this in Germany for years. On the radio here, along with the local weather and traffic report, they always tell you where the mobile speed cameras are located and sometimes they tell you that there's "abstandmessung" in a particular location on the Autobahn. Pressing your brake when someone's "up your arse" as we'd say in Britain, is a bit dangerous. I think it was here a month or two back where someone said he'd done that and the car that was licking his bumper spun around a few times but luckily didn't hit anything. I prefer to put my hazard flashing lights on for a short time.

I feel confident I could react, with me being a left-foot braker. The adrenalin pumps higher at those speeds so you generally react quicker. Doesn't help me whether or not I "felt" I could stop in that time though.

The plain fact is, the law says 67.5 metres and I had only 35 metres. I accept that. Thought some here would like to hear about it. If I'd been asked in some kind of automotive pop quiz though, I would have guess somewhere between 25 and 50 metres would have been the legal minimum gap for that speed.

Was I really tailgating with a 7 car gap ? I didn't think I was. I'd like to hear what people think.
General rule of thumb is one car gap per 10MPH, so yes, you were a little too close to the car in front of you at that speed. Chaulk it up to experience.
Old 01-10-2009 | 04:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='764298' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:41 PM
Chuck it up to experience.
Maybe I'll be "chucking it up" when the fine comes
Old 01-10-2009 | 05:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='764299' date='Jan 10 2009, 08:50 AM
Maybe I'll be "chucking it up" when the fine comes
I always leave a 1 second gap. That is just about a car length per 10mph (14.6 feet). That's more than most people and gives enough reaction time to stop. Anything more than that and traffic will cut in front of you. There are some tailgating laws in the U.S but I've never heard specific measurements.
The new guidline in NC is now a 4 second gap, which is an impossible stupid unrealistic distance while in any traffic. The AAA says "we" need to do that now because of so many cell phone, texting, distracted drivers. STUPID. Why should I have to increase my following distance to an impossible amount because other drivers are distracted. The guideline should be to stop texting and pay attention to your driving. Although I do increase my following distance when someone is tailgating me. For safety reason and to p$ss off the guy behind me and get him to move over a lane.
Old 01-10-2009 | 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='764295' date='Jan 10 2009, 08:25 AM
sometimes they tell you that there's "abstandmessung" in a particular location on the Autobahn.
Incidentally, it?s ,,Abstandsmessung``.

Regarding how much Abstand one should maintain, not everyone can brake as if he were driving a BMW so, while the law specifies more Abstand than I would probably need, the law is looking at lesser cars with lesser braking capabilities.

Quick Reply: Police have me on video doing 101mph