Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Playstation 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I finally want to buy myself a hi-def DVD player so with blu-ray the obvious winner now I looked around at players and they're all still rather pricey. With that in mind, it makes sense to just get a PS3 to have the player and a new game console. I've had a PS2 for years and years so I'm a Sony fan. It seems like there's a 40 GB PS3 which doesnt play old PS2 games and an 80 GB version which does. I've been reading many rumours that sony is going to be dumping both versions and making a big overhaul soon which will probably include some hardware changes no backwards compatibility at all for older games. So I'm not sure what to do(?)

I'm thinking that I just need to stop thinking so much and just buy the 80 GB version and screw it! I'm sure many of you follow video game systems and such, what are your thoughts?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I grabbed an 80GB PS3 about a week or two before they fell off of Best Buy's SKU listing. I've seen the rumors as well and don't know much more other than to wonder if they're going to repackage a new 80G (or larger) system closer to spring under a different SKU (minus the included Motorstorm "holiday promotion" package) but possibly include the new DualShock 3 controllers.

Sorry I couldn't offer more advice -- if you still have the PS2, you could always just get the 40GB unit and use the old console when you need to play older games. If you're lucky, maybe Sony will release an update to the 40GB units down the road that will give them compatibility...

One thing that's a bummer is if you have Guitar Hero II for the PS2, even if you get a PS3 with backward compatibility, the guitar won't work properly with the new console. You either have to get Guitar Hero III for the PS3 or keep your PS2 connected and available...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 80 gig broke in Nov 07, It didnt even play PS2 games like it said you have to have a certain serial number game for it to be compatible . Go with the 40gig less heat and hasnt konked on me yet. You wont miss the PS2 games after you see some hi-def movies and the games
Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='530962' date='Feb 13 2008, 02:36 PM
my 80 gig broke in Nov 07, It didnt even play PS2 games like it said you have to have a certain serial number game for it to be compatible . Go with the 40gig less heat and hasnt konked on me yet. You wont miss the PS2 games after you see some hi-def movies and the games
For me, backward compatibility was required since my PS2 started acting up and I decided to cash in on the $19.99 replacement warranty that Best Buy sold me. Basically, I paid $20 for the use of a PS2 console for two years.

I took the money that BB refunded me (more than the current cost of a PS2) added to it, and just bought the 80Gig. So far, except for Guitar Hero, all of our PS2 games play very well with no issues. I was also able to transfer the game saves from the PS2 to the PS3 although it became a little complicated due to the fact that Sony's memory adapter doesn't support memory cards larger than 8MB and we had a 64MB card...)
Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Rudy if yours breaks again send me 20 bucks and I'll send you mine LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Two weeks ago I got PS3 80 Gb....Motorstorm pack. All I can say - awesome! DVD's get upscaled, it has some PS2 backwards compatibility. I have played a bit the Motorstorm - looks very awesome. I have read on AVS forum and a lot of people say it is the best Blu-Ray player out there.

I would strongly suggest for gaming & any DVD's (except HD-DVD) !
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

sorry guys i am new to this,i havnt played games on a consul ,my son has a ps2 ,but he is away at uni,but am i correct in saying that a comsul plays dvd /blueray/hd dvd?
please somone clarify the issue fopr me sony?pls2 ? blueray/hd dvd? which one to go for.
bearing in mind the user is in uk.thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by radioham' post='531041' date='Feb 13 2008, 04:51 PM
sorry guys i am new to this,i havnt played games on a consul ,my son has a ps2 ,but he is away at uni,but am i correct in saying that a comsul plays dvd /blueray/hd dvd?
please somone clarify the issue fopr me sony?pls2 ? blueray/hd dvd? which one to go for.
bearing in mind the user is in uk.thanks
PS2 only plays DVDs -- the PS3 plays DVDs and Blu-ray discs...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

It looks like I'm just going to stick with my original thought and just grab the 80 gb version next week. Then I can update my netflix status to receive blu-ray movies if they're available for the titles in my queue. Yes yes yes!! Not to mention playing games in hi-def. Thanks guys!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Mark,

Be VERY careful with Netflix Blu-Ray! They seem to not have enough discs at the local distribution centers and there are VERY LONG wait times. I changed my subscription to BR and a week later back to regular DVD. I have read about this problem on AVS Forum... Hopefully this situation improves as Netflix will stop distributing HD-DVD by the end of this year and stock up in BR.