Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Pc Tablets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planing to buy a PC tablet(Android OS ofcourse) by December as a Christmas present for myself.
The iPad is out of the question (Anti-Apple OS ).

Here are my options so far (feel free to add others):
1- Archos 101
2- Hannspree

So I am looking for Android based PC Tablets, mostly looking at the Archos 101. Seems a big leap over the iPad with lighter weight and better specs (including Sd card slot, HDMI port and VGA camera for skype) and most importatnly, it will be edibale to read Word and Excel files (unlike iPad, unless apple came out with something new that I haven't heard about).

It will be released mid October with the Froyo 2.2 which will be upgradable to the Gingerbread 3.0.

Samsung Galaxy is another option but small screen 7", so out of the question.

Last option is the Hannspree which is also pretty nice with a dual core but is still as rumors.

Any other suggestions? Any flaws or drawbacks to the above options?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Jad,

I'm not going to try to convince you of the error of your ways, those look like nice tablets, but several of the more than iOS 250,000 apps will indeed let you read, edit and create MS Office content on an iPad
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by swajames
Jad,

I'm not going to try to convince you of the error of your ways, those look like nice tablets, but several of the more than iOS 250,000 apps will indeed let you read, edit and create MS Office content on an iPad
SWA,

my primary application at work in Excel. In researching the iPad, it appears that there are some issues in working in the Numbers app and importing that into Excel. Has that been resolved? Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Jad,

To be Honest,I was hoping for you to be the first to give me a brief review or opinion on this. Why do you think an iPad would be better than the Android based Tablets?
What about Camera (i know they're coming out with a camera version soon)? HDMI? External HDD? Sd card? Flash ?

Android based Tablets can do whatever the iPad does AND BETTER. So why should I settle with something that is limited and expansive when I can get something that is open source, more options and cheaper.

Let me know your intake on this. I'm interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
Jad
Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Steve,

Just saw this Notion Ink Adam and it seems to be on top of my Tablet List.

Notion Ink said that Adam will be released in three internal storage size (8GB,16GB,32G where all three will be cheaper than the 16Gb iPad.

Seems to be a winner for me.

I also would like to know everyone else's opinion or advice.

Thank you
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Senior Members

Good luck in your purchase. This Android based market surely need a bump in market share
Old 09-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by kscarrol
SWA,

my primary application at work in Excel. In researching the iPad, it appears that there are some issues in working in the Numbers app and importing that into Excel. Has that been resolved? Sorry for the thread hijack!
Sorry for the delayed reply, Ken... The issue with the iPad version of Numbers is that while it lets you open, view and edit Excel content, it won't let you save the edited document as an Excel document... There are some third-party applications, such as DataViz' Documents to Go, that claim to let you address this issue but I've never needed to use them. The reason is that we use Citrix for remote access at work and the Citrix Receiver application for the iPad lets me run Outlook and open, edit and create attachments using all of the MS Office apps including Excel right on the iPad (albeit in a virtual machine). Provided you have a decent network connection, it's fast and it works flawlessly. The functionality is essentially good enough that for all but the longer business trips you can get by without your laptop provided you can stay connected. One of my two iPads is the 3G model and I'm rarely unable to find a fast WiFi connection so the Citrix option works well for me. If that's not an option for you, you could take a look at some of the many Office apps on the iPad to see if one might work for you. As I said, the issue is moot for me as I use Citrix but it does seem that there are some other options out there too.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
To be Honest,I was hoping for you to be the first to give me a brief review or opinion on this. Why do you think an iPad would be better than the Android based Tablets?
What about Camera (i know they're coming out with a camera version soon)? HDMI? External HDD? Sd card? Flash ?

Android based Tablets can do whatever the iPad does AND BETTER. So why should I settle with something that is limited and expansive when I can get something that is open source, more options and cheaper.

Let me know your intake on this. I'm interested in your opinion.

Thanks,
Jad
Jad, again I'm sorry for the delayed reply. As I said above, you already seem set on an Android tablet and seem to have already decided that it is better for you so I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise... Just get the one you feel suits you best.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Members

Read over the weekend that Google are not supporting Android 2.2 as a tablet application. Sucks somewhat if that is the case but I also guess they are progressive enough to do something about it in teh short term.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by soarerv8
Read over the weekend that Google are not supporting Android 2.2 as a tablet application. Sucks somewhat if that is the case but I also guess they are progressive enough to do something about it in the short term.
That is correct sir. Read it 3 days ago here and was bummed after looking forward to the Adam.

Guess I'll have to wait till gingerbread or honeycomb to come out supporting those tablets. And surely, by Q1 2011, the processors would have improved.As I posted in another thread, Dual core processors will be released soon with 1.2GHz in Q1 and Q2 while in Q4, we will be expected 1.5 Ghz to hit the market and readily available.

Quick Reply: Pc Tablets?