Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Painting Garage Floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is totally off topic.......but ...........Has anyone out there had an industrial non-lifting Floor paint put on their garage floor. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

About 4 years ago I bought and installed an epoxy based paint for garage floor at Home Depot. It was the best quality that I could find at the time with retail availibility. I followed the instructions exactly including acid washing the concrete. The initial result was good but it obviously wasn't the same product I saw at various dealerships at their service centers. Within a month I had "hot tire pickup" which only slowly worsened. I sold the house six months later. If I did it again, the prep work takes at least a day, I would use industrial/commercial grade paint. My .02
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Ditto on the Home Depot stuff?avoid it. I too had someone do everything (and then some) with the Home Depot product?and it quickly started coming up (even after a 2 week dry time).

I had to have my floor stripped and re-coated. Second time around I went with an epoxy paint that came in two, one gallon containers. One of the containers was the epoxy base and the other was the color?in my case tan. The two parts were mixed together and then applied?the process was repeated again two days later with another two gallons. One week of very noxious dry time. And end result five years later?still perfect?it?s almost like having a thin sheet of plastic on the floor. The floor does not seem to be painted?but rather ?coated.?

Moral of the story?look for the industrial two part ?kits.? Avoid the consumer crap at Home Depot and the like. Mine came from as I recall Dunn Edwards?I may be wrong on that last point but go to a dedicated paint store and you should be fine.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Contributors

In the UK, there is a specific paint made by 'International paints' I used. it is only lifting a little after some 7 years and its time to repaint I think......also, only 12 hrs dry time

DD
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Contributors

I've been told that you should use aircraft hanger paint. It's supposed to stand up to the extreme heat... I know Griots Garage also sells a high quality product.

My neighbor used a high quality 'concreate stain', and I didn't like it. I've seen it used in basement floors, with excellent results, but the garage didn't look that great.