Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Okay, why in God's name do you cover your license plate in pics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='413863' date='Apr 15 2007, 04:16 AM
Posting any identifiable information about yourself on the internet is generally not a good idea.

When you drive on the road, a few people might see your plates. And they have to be quick to remember or write them down. But on a website, your exposure is much greater... and permanent.

Blocking out your tag in a pic is a simple procedure which takes little effort, and potentially saves problems. Why would anyone NOT do it?
Why is it not a good idea?

Any relatively bright person with an internet connection can figure out just about anything about anyone, short of confidential stuff like credit cards, etc. etc.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by andy545' post='413721' date='Apr 14 2007, 02:27 PM
True, but you don't advertise on your car, personal status (your name , age, marital status), if you've broken any laws, possible illegal mods you've done, speeding, etc. Many of us have admitted and discussed about MANY "activities" pertaining to our cars...and lives

Correlating this info with a possible id is not my idea of having a certain degree of caution...a lot of people here have provided fotos of themselves, exchanged addresses during meet discussions and so on...it is open to abuse of any sort to someone (non e60.net member hopefully !) with a motive of some paranoid sort (like an insurance company - or worse) - it's not that far fetched until it happens to you.

The analogy of "not covering while you drive while covering here" while relatively speaking is correct, is ultimately flawed if you think about it slightly more deeply.

The fact that some cannot understand this "is truely killing me" !
If you're talking about illegal activities that rise to the level of a misdemeanor with incriminating enough information/facts, you're just an idiot.

Your line of thinking is like whole internet anonymity argument, which is equally idiotic, IMHO. My picture's on here, and other places on the net. My address is easily findable by any reasonably bright person.

Abuse of what kind? I'm not that important, and I'd be willing to bet there's no one on here is so important as to think some random e-predator is going to go to a BMW website, search people's cars, then get license plate info, travel to a given area, break in, blah blah blah.

Not only is my thinking relatively correct, if you think about it "slightly more deeply" you'll see that it is, in fact, crystal clear.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributors

The reason why people cover up their plates is to protect their mods.

If I saw two exact looking M5 in a parking lot, same color same everything. However, I see one of those M5 on the internet with 10k worth of mods, I'm going to steal that one!

Especially in less populated area, thieves can identify cars and whats mods it has to know which car is worth jacking.

Some people don't want to be vandalize if they somehow pissed off a forum member. True story.

Why are you so upset of something so trivial anyways?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='414488' date='Apr 16 2007, 06:23 PM
The reason why people cover up their plates is to protect their mods.

If I saw two exact looking M5 in a parking lot, same color same everything. However, I see one of those M5 on the internet with 10k worth of mods, I'm going to steal that one!

Especially in less populated area, thieves can identify cars and whats mods it has to know which car is worth jacking.

Some people don't want to be vandalize if they somehow pissed off a forum member. True story.

+1
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='414488
What, fastandfuriousforums.com?

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='414488' date='Apr 16 2007, 06:23 PM
Not upset at all! Just amused is all.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='414587' date='Apr 16 2007, 10:24 PM
Please...that's so not realistic. Someone's going to search out a forum, remember a car, then steal it?
Not really.

Example.

My friend on the is300.net forum openly has stated he goes to UCI. He has shown off many pictures of his car with his license plate. He had about 10-15k worth of upgrades in his car at least. His car was stolen and the person on the forum actually posted the STRIPPED CAR ONLINE.

I mean honestly, if I was a criminal, Id scout cars online. Find some nice cars posted online. Search through the owners post/threads and find out where he frequents. Then get his car. This is even more prevalent amongst easy to steal unique cars. (IE Integra Type R)

Sure its UNLIKELY, but you can't deny the fact that it does happen. People just feel more comfortable blocking out their plates.