Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Okay, why in God's name do you cover your license plate in pics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean, come on. Do you cover it when you drive on the road?

You're literally exposing yourself to tens of thousands of people every day JUST BY HAVING A LICENSE PLATE! Oh no!

What's the point? Or is it one of those internet things one person does and then the rest of everyone else jumps on?

This is truely killing me.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='413582' date='Apr 14 2007, 09:42 AM

You're literally exposing yourself to tens of thousands of people every day JUST BY HAVING A LICENSE PLATE! Oh no!

What's the point? Or is it one of those internet things one person does and then the rest of everyone else jumps on?

Haha. I laugh when I see people do this as well. Everyone just tries to be cautious I guess. I suppose someone with DMV access could run your plate and get your name and address, although the exact same thing could happen just driving down the street.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by Jed Peter' post='413582' date='Apr 14 2007, 10:42 AM

Who? What? Where?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Members

Wasupdu Isn't Ari Gold the $hit!! I needed him to negotiate my last deal. I love that show.

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='413585' date='Apr 14 2007, 11:10 AM
Haha. I laugh when I see people do this as well. Everyone just tries to be cautious I guess. I suppose someone with DMV access could run your plate and get your name and address, although the exact same thing could happen just driving down the street.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Say you totally piss someone off here on the board and they feel like kicking your as...., with your plate number, they can find you and then possibly kick your as....
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='413652' date='Apr 14 2007, 09:13 PM
Say you totally piss someone off here on the board and they feel like kicking your as...., with your plate number, they can find you and then possibly kick your as....
LOL this is stupid. And what you're chicken? (not personal) Or we assume that not everybody here is sane. LET IT COME BABY!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

The only reason I can think of is that a lot of people that work for BMW visit this site. So if you're on here talking about a mod you've done that could void your warranty or dissing your dealer or what not then they would know it was you because of your plate and then you're screwed. Overall though, I'm gunna have to agree that it's pointless.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by wasupdu' post='413585' date='Apr 14 2007, 05:10 PM
Everyone just tries to be cautious I guess. I suppose someone with DMV access could run your plate and get your name and address, although the exact same thing could happen just driving down the street.
True, but you don't advertise on your car, personal status (your name , age, marital status), if you've broken any laws, possible illegal mods you've done, speeding, etc. Many of us have admitted and discussed about MANY "activities" pertaining to our cars...and lives

Correlating this info with a possible id is not my idea of having a certain degree of caution...a lot of people here have provided fotos of themselves, exchanged addresses during meet discussions and so on...it is open to abuse of any sort to someone (non e60.net member hopefully !) with a motive of some paranoid sort (like an insurance company - or worse) - it's not that far fetched until it happens to you.

The analogy of "not covering while you drive while covering here" while relatively speaking is correct, is ultimately flawed if you think about it slightly more deeply.

The fact that some cannot understand this "is truely killing me" !
Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Posting any identifiable information about yourself on the internet is generally not a good idea.

When you drive on the road, a few people might see your plates. And they have to be quick to remember or write them down. But on a website, your exposure is much greater... and permanent.

Blocking out your tag in a pic is a simple procedure which takes little effort, and potentially saves problems. Why would anyone NOT do it?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

However, covering up plates of surrounding cars is a bit overboard.

See recent pics of darraghn's 523i LCI.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=40169

Quick Reply: Okay, why in God's name do you cover your license plate in pics?