Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Next Gen iPhone found at local bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Im sorry I guess I should have clarified, i meant even with the current iphones. Apple sets limits to what you can and cannot do with them and YOU, the end user paid for the item and are restricted from using it (within reasonable means) as you see fit. I know microsoft can do the same thing for online gaming but its only done when a person hacks the system in order to cheat during online play or steal software.

I just dont agree with that at all, as it becomes personal and private property when you pay for it. I can hack my BB all day and not worry about what RIM might think, but if my buddy hacks his iphone, apple can and probably will shut it down.
Not that I've ever seen this be an issue PTL but even if it were you can jailbreak the phone and you'd be able do with it what you see fit. I've never seen any case where a hacked phone was shut down, although upgrading the phone software will undo the jailbreak - but within a day or two of each release it's jailbroken, usually same day. There are plenty of other sources for apps for a jailbroken phone too. I do keep mine stock, but others here (tex_phil and bettermakeway) have jailbroken phones and I've never seen them report any issues.

C'mon - give one a try. You know you want to...!

(actually - I'd wait for the new one to come out, but you get my point!)
Old 04-21-2010 | 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

The new design looks so slick.

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Not that I've ever seen this be an issue PTL but even if it were you can jailbreak the phone and you'd be able do with it what you see fit. I've never seen any case where a hacked phone was shut down, although upgrading the phone software will undo the jailbreak - but within a day or two of each release it's jailbroken, usually same day. There are plenty of other sources for apps for a jailbroken phone too. I do keep mine stock, but others here (tex_phil and bettermakeway) have jailbroken phones and I've never seen them report any issues.

C'mon - give one a try. You know you want to...!

(actually - I'd wait for the new one to come out, but you get my point!)

i remember reading a few articles a while back about apple doing just that and people having to pay full retail to get new phones because their old ones were completely inoperable afterwards

and yes i would love to own an iphone, ipad, macbook pro they are all really well designed products......i just dont like or agree with apple tactics and marketing so until they remove their heads out of their asses, they wont get my business.

I watched the new ipad video by the vp or whatever of advertising and he called the ipad magical.......LOL MAGICAL...wow if that isnt koolaid at its finest then i dont know what is.
Old 04-21-2010 | 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

...wow if that isnt koolaid at its finest then i dont know what is.
How about this?

Old 04-21-2010 | 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

iIsaw a movie called "duplicity" if anyone saw it will see my point.

It could be that Apple have done it by purpose - to give other companies fake information or just to keep up the ratings.

Knowing how Apple is so carefull about info leaking to masses, this is my guess
Old 04-21-2010 | 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I watched the new ipad video by the vp or whatever of advertising and he called the ipad magical.......LOL MAGICAL...wow if that isnt koolaid at its finest then i dont know what is.
It's just marketing spin, it's really no different than BMW claiming that their cars are "the ultimate driving machine" or Porsche claiming that "there is no substitute", PTL...
Old 04-22-2010 | 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
... There are plenty of other sources for apps for a jailbroken phone too. I do keep mine stock, but others here (tex_phil and bettermakeway) have jailbroken phones and I've never seen them report any issues.

ahem ahem !

I remember posting here some comments, which i can't seem to find right now, not recommending jailbraking. True i did it out of pure curiosity around iPhone OS 2.0 or 2.1 but i changed back to stock the same day due to quite a lot of crashes especially from Safari and Mail. At that time i agree with the fact that unauthorized modification of iPhone OS has been a major source of instability, disruption of services, and other issues. Others have said that using jailbraked phones with 3.0 and above has solved alot of the crashes of the 2.1 JBs but i agree with Apple's stance. They designed the phone as they seen best, and because of jailbrake we've seen the first malware on iphone OS, and because of jailbrake we've seen real exploitable security threats on the iPhone etc... that's all true!

Shame that some people refuse to believe this and shame that most of the jailbraking fans don't admit that they use also pirated apps, without paying anything for them. What i mean by this is that most jailbraking fans argued that they opted for JB just to unlock some of the missing features along with the different software versions, but i call that BS, most of them did it for that but mostly for using apps for free, especially for the expensive ones like GPS apps. Since copy and paste and MMS came with OS 3 and now multitasking on OS 4 i wonder what childish reasons they come up with in the near future to settle their feel of guilt or Apple hate.
Old 04-22-2010 | 07:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
ahem ahem !

I remember posting here some comments, which i can't seem to find right now, not recommending jailbraking. True i did it out of pure curiosity around iPhone OS 2.0 or 2.1 but i changed back to stock the same day due to quite a lot of crashes especially from Safari and Mail. At that time i agree with the fact that unauthorized modification of iPhone OS has been a major source of instability, disruption of services, and other issues. Others have said that using jailbraked phones with 3.0 and above has solved alot of the crashes of the 2.1 JBs but i agree with Apple's stance. They designed the phone as they seen best, and because of jailbrake we've seen the first malware on iphone OS, and because of jailbrake we've seen real exploitable security threats on the iPhone etc... that's all true!

Shame that some people refuse to believe this and shame that most of the jailbraking fans don't admit that they use also pirated apps, without paying anything for them. What i mean by this is that most jailbraking fans argued that they opted for JB just to unlock some of the missing features along with the different software versions, but i call that BS, most of them did it for that but mostly for using apps for free, especially for the expensive ones like GPS apps. Since copy and paste and MMS came with OS 3 and now multitasking on OS 4 i wonder what childish reasons they come up with in the near future to settle their feel of guilt or Apple hate.

Not that i want to ingage in argument with you, but what's wrong with some users are using aftermarket apps and not paying for them? ) If it is outhere for take then why not.

I am myself jailbreaked iphone to use such functions as being able to edit my phone call log (which apple for some reason didn't have - it's the standarsds and basics of any phone), black list (to block unwanted callers - very usefull), iphone modem- in case i want to use my laptop internet somwere were i can't connet (back up to my verizon mobile modem), and more.

In adition to that , most of the software on my laptop is not genuine. So what, i just didn't want to pay couple grands for something that is outhere for grabs. Or, I could say "shame on people who don't want to pay" and drop $2000 to buy all the programs i needed.. when I could fly to Hawaii for couple days instead. Or get some mod on my car. My opinion
Old 04-22-2010 | 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vlad_b
Not that i want to ingage in argument with you, but what's wrong with some users are using aftermarket apps and not paying for them? ) If it is outhere for take then why not.

I am myself jailbreaked iphone to use such functions as being able to edit my phone call log (which apple for some reason didn't have - it's the standarsds and basics of any phone), black list (to block unwanted callers - very usefull), iphone modem- in case i want to use my laptop internet somwere were i can't connet (back up to my verizon mobile modem), and more.

In adition to that , most of the software on my laptop is not genuine. So what, i just didn't want to pay couple grands for something that is outhere for grabs. Or, I could say "shame on people who don't want to pay" and drop $2000 to buy all the programs i needed.. when I could fly to Hawaii for couple days instead. Or get some mod on my car. My opinion
Ok ok your arguments may seem valid up to a point: what would happen if all of us would start using pirated software?

Answer: The developers would start to loose the interest in further developing software, case in which nor you or any other legitimate person would benefit from the development.

Pirating is illegal! And btw it's not like you say "is outhere for grabs". That software is not free and in no way the owner put it out there so everybody can "grab" it for nothing in return. But i guess this isn't something to understand unless yourself would get screwed for something that you put a lot of effort and money into. That would be nice for someone to hack into your pirated laptop and stole your work and make it available "for the grab", or claim it was just sitting there... and then squeeze all the pennies from YOUR work and claim even more mods for the car
Old 04-22-2010 | 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Garrrrrr!