Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's E60 is held beind held hostage in my garage. Well not so much hostage as it is the only safe place to park it in my own driveway. See the pictures.
"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?-e60__2_.jpg
"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?-e60__3_.jpg
"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?-e60.jpg
"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?-e60__1_.jpg
"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?-e60__4_.jpg
"Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?-e60__5_.jpg

The dogs owner simply refuses to leash walk his dog and from the first two images, you can clearly see he can tell his dog is next to the car's tires but does nothing to discourage his animal from this act. I have called local authorities about this (aka local sheriff) who failed to get through to the owner (gives you an idea of how frequent a problem this is). The sheriff tried to explain to the owner that he cannot let his animal do this to someone else's property, to which the owner constantly replied "but it's parked on my property". Somehow the owner thinks that whatever 'stands' on his property belongs to him. I didn't bring this to the sheriff's attention, but given the logic of that argument, the sheriff is now the dog owners property too since he is standing on "his property" (the sheriff was a black guy and probably would have taken an issue with that )

Now about the property. I'm the caretaker (vehicles, landscape, etc. etc) and my mom owns the car, land (which she inherited from her father) and house (which she built with my late dad). The dog's owner who sadly is my uncle has his name on 1/3 the house and 1/3 the land in name only. The last part cannot be emphasized enough because the dog's owner pays for nothing. No land tax (15 acres worth), no maintence bills, nada, zippo, zilch.

Can somebody give some ideas of a possible course of action?

BTW, the Chevy blazer in the first couple of pics is my uncle's which nobody bothers. We don't allow our animals to urninate on his vehicle but he doesn't return in kind. The black jeep on the left in the latter pics is mine and the next one to it is my brothers, neon is being donated. As you can clearly see our family taste in vehicles vary quite a bit and my uncle has always taken the position that our vehicles are a waste of money and therefore shows no respect for them. Since my Jeep is parked outside permanetly, I routinely find urine on my tires. Since it's a little dog and big tires, no urine actually reaches my wheels so it's not as big of a deal for me. But low profile wheels and rims are slowly going to be acid etched by this problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing in this life is easy. Given he has his name on a piece of the property (undivided property) there is not much you can do fo rhaving the dog there (even unleashed). The only thing you can do is to prove that the specific dog has caused damage on the wheels because of urination. Until then the local sherif can do absolutely nothing other than out of good will talk to the dog owner.
Filing a motion against the dog owner for damaging your wheels can cost you more in legal fees alone and there is no certainty you will win the case in court.

A good option is to talk to your uncle and explain what is the issue, hoping he will understand.

A much better option is to get a German Shepperd and train him to guard the Bimmer from your uncle's dog.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Pepper spray...
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='460549' date='Aug 20 2007, 03:05 PM
A good option is to talk to your uncle and explain what is the issue, hoping he will understand.

A much better option is to get a German Shepperd and train him to guard the Bimmer from your uncle's dog.
First option been there done that (well prior to calling the sheriff). Tried talking to him that if I do indeed escelate this to the courts, he may be out more than just walking the dog. His response was he could care less, even if the courts put the dog to sleep, he still didn't care. He is quite combative regardless of how we try to handle the situation.

Second option. My mom has actually been considering getting another "big" dog. We have a group of small terriers (same breed but much better manners as my uncle's) but my mom's 15yr old Terrier/shepperd mix we had to put down last year from hip troubles and internal problems. She did have a German prior to that and one may very well be in our future.

Iceman, pepper spray tends to have a "radius" effect. You have gotten me thinking about my old mini cattle prod powered by two series 9V batteries
Old 08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Kidnap (or dognap) the pooch, drive it over the stateline and leave it there.

Maybe you need to invest in one of these...

DOGSLIFE.MPG
Old 08-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Unfortunately, it only works on TV commercials...

HundundAuto_11.wmv
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Pick up the dog and run in the house. The dog is now your property.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Bring a bigger dog with you
Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Irish, Iceman, I WISH our cars did that, or any for that matter. Given the temperment of the dog in question it would traumatize him for life.

Dognapping is more of a punishment to the dog since he doesn't really know any better having never been given proper training. I can't really blame him to an extent, the owner never even housebroke the dog after ~3 years. The saddest part about all this is that my mom's the one who bought my uncle the dog after his dog of some years died from pancreatic cancer. Great way to say thank you eh? :thumbsdown:

My last resort might be to adpot pavlov's conditioning and train the dog myself. What was that animated movie where:

Mouse 1 - "my name's shocky"
Mouse 2 - "why do they call you shocky?"
Mouse 1 - *pulls out battery* "SHOCKY!!"

That's what I'm thinking.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by Westcoast 550' post='460600' date='Aug 20 2007, 04:31 PM
Pick up the dog and run in the house. The dog is now your property.
hahahaha nice one. id probably get a little "what the f!@#" mood if i saw a dog taking a leak on my wheels too. how about setting off the alarm once the dog gets close? if it doesnt work, then definitely go with the other options that these guys recommended

Quick Reply: "Neighbors dog" Any lawyers in the house?