Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

My next phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pjinca
Reasons why i wouldn't consider an iPhone:

1) Only Apple can approve apps, whereas since Android is open source you can get apps from just about anywhere (so no it won't take then that long to catch up) - also means there will b many more FREE apps for the Droid

2) A battery that cannot be replaced is useless, and I refuse to send something as important as my cell to the manufacturer to replace a battery

3) fixed memory - what if I want/need more that 32GB capacity? Hmm, Droid means I can just buy more

4) It is only available on the crappiest network on the planet, AT&T (Cingular) was getting sued by customers a few years ago on the East Coast for dropped calls. AT&T was always known as THE network you wanted if you lived just east of Bum Fucked Egypt - then it would work fine, but try to get a signal where actual real people live? Good luck
You're in denial, John...

First. Relatively speaking, there are hardly any apps on Android compared to the 200,000+ available on the iPhone. Plus, if you do want apps outside of those approved by Apple, you can easily add them too. It is no big deal. The vast majority of applications in development are also on the iPhone OS. And make no mistake, apps are what makes the difference. And it WILL take a long time, if ever, before there are anything like as many Android apps. It may surprise you to note that the vast majority of Android devices out there have never been upgraded and are still rocking the original version of the OS... That's another reason developers aren't going to embrace the platform compared to iPhone OS.

http://www.wired.com...ons-still-rule/

Battery. I've only had occasion to replace a non-replaceable Apple battery once, on one of my iPods. For my $59, I got a brand new 120G iPod. I travel the world on business, I'm using thousands of minutes per month, and I don't have battery issues on my devices. If I did, for $79 I'd basically get a new iPhone... Also, I suspect the vast majority of user replaceable batteries that are replaced are not disposed of in an environmentally responsible way. Apple's policy is basically to give you a replacement device, I'd take that in a heartbeat over a new battery.

Memory. Not such a big deal, it's pretty hard to fill 32G on a phone. If you do, it's not hard to access content you have stored at home over the internet.

AT&T. Gets a bad rap, but people forget that Verizon carries nothing like the traffic AT&T is handling, and that CDMA carriers won't let you talk and use data at the same time. Also, AT&T came out well ahead in PC World's recent 3G survey. Best not to believe everything you see in the commercials...

And finally, as we've all seen, the new generation device will be with us soon. Fast processor, more memory, memory cards, higher resolution displays.

But never mind that - the real benefit is iPhone OS and the access it provides to 200,000 plus applications.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

On this one it is pointless, since Sprint has already rolled out it's 4G network in major metro areas - which leaves 3G looking like a 14.4 baud modem next to a T1. The 3G comparison is now about as relevant as a Car and Driver test of the Ford Pinto.
On the apps front - how many do you have? 200k of which what 199k are pointless or utter nonsense. The best use my wife has found for her iPhone (unlocked) is teaching our 3 yr old his shapes, yep that was worth the $400

For me the bottom line is: Forget Microsoft and Apple - 4G and opensource is the next wave, it's time we all got off the tit of either of the monoliths and started living in a faster and cheaper opensource world. Even my company has moved to Gmail for email and Google Docs for a total of $150/user with 25Gb of archive per user and NO attachment size limits - AMAZING how easy that was
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

On this one it is pointless, since Sprint has already rolled out it's 4G network in major metro areas - which leaves 3G looking like a 14.4 baud modem next to a T1. The 3G comparison is now about as relevant as a Car and Driver test of the Ford Pinto.
On the apps front - how many do you have? 200k of which what 199k are pointless or utter nonsense. The best use my wife has found for her iPhone (unlocked) is teaching our 3 yr old his shapes, yep that was worth the $400

For me the bottom line is: Forget Microsoft and Apple - 4G and opensource is the next wave, it's time we all got off the tit of either of the monoliths and started living in a faster and cheaper opensource world. Even my company has moved to Gmail for email and Google Docs for a total of $150/user with 25Gb of archive per user and NO attachment size limits - AMAZING how easy that was
And the denial continues...

The general consensus is that many of those 200,000 apps are pretty good. But now there are too many? Yet in your post above you were making claims about the volume of Android apps implying more apps was a good thing. C'mon - at least be consistent...

4G looks great, but it's not coming to all markets and won't be rolled out in the major markets for a while. AT&T is of course rolling out its network too. It's not solely the preserve of Sprint...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Please tell me no one actually watched that entire video.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
And the denial continues...

The general consensus is that many of those 200,000 apps are pretty good. But now there are too many? Yet in your post above you were making claims about the volume of Android apps implying more apps was a good thing. C'mon - at least be consistent...

4G looks great, but it's not coming to all markets and won't be rolled out in the major markets for a while. AT&T is of course rolling out its network too. It's not solely the preserve of Sprint...
No my point is USEFUL apps are great, 200k apps means there's mostly fodder created - nothing more.
As for 4G coming to major markets for a while? Let's see Sprint has NYC, Chicago, Las Vegas (we used several Sprint Hot Spot devices at Interop last week and never lost connection), they are rolling out Los Angeles - AT&T is where?
WiMAX is coming and coming sooner than most IT guys would like to admit. There may be very little use for traditional network infrastructure fairly soon
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Contributors

No my point is USEFUL apps are great, 200k apps means there's mostly fodder created - nothing more.
As for 4G coming to major markets for a while? Let's see Sprint has NYC, Chicago, Las Vegas (we used several Sprint Hot Spot devices at Interop last week and never lost connection), they are rolling out Los Angeles - AT&T is where?
WiMAX is coming and coming sooner than most IT guys would like to admit. There may be very little use for traditional network infrastructure fairly soon
If the best you guys could come up with is a coloring app you really haven't looked very hard my friend. We all agree quality is important - and there are thousands of quality apps available for the iPhone. Mind you, if you've never looked....

As I said, 4G is great, but coverage is still pretty limited.

Anyway, the bottom line, and you know this to be true, is that it will be a while before the question posed whenever a new device hits the market is whether is an "Android Killer" or an "HTC HD2 Killer"...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

One thing I can say about the iphone is that every app for it that is sold via Apple's store is rock solid.

But as long as AT&T has exclusive selling rights - I will NEVER own one.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
If the best you guys could come up with is a coloring app you really haven't looked very hard my friend. We all agree quality is important - and there are thousands of quality apps available for the iPhone. Mind you, if you've never looked....

As I said, 4G is great, but coverage is still pretty limited.

Anyway, the bottom line, and you know this to be true, is that it will be a while before the question posed whenever a new device hits the market is whether is an "Android Killer" or an "HTC HD2 Killer"...

Agreed, I am not saying the HD2 is the end all/be all - it is an option. Options are good things, much better than the alternative - being stuck with Microsoft OR Apple. It's about time to bring down the boundaries and not allow single vendor to dictate technology (we all let Microsoft do that for far too long - we should have put an end to it when Win 98 came out )
It won't take as long as predicted for useful apps to come out for Android or any other open source device - they are Open for a reason
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
One thing I can say about the iphone is that every app for it that is sold via Apple's store is rock solid.

But as long as AT&T has exclusive selling rights - I will NEVER own one.

Bro, don't let that hold you back, get an unlocked one and you're fine
Old 05-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

I really smile when other companies (trend followers) come up with supposed "iPhone killers" but they just copied the technology from the trend setters (Apple). People forget that Apple brought full touch technology to mobile devices (useful touch) along with multitouch. I wonder how long trend followers will get out 'iPad killers".

I can't wait for the next gen iPhone. With superbly designed multitasking in OS 4 and next gen iPhone which most probably will be better than 3GS in terms of processing power, for sure you get an unbeatable device.

Quick Reply: My next phone