Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Microsoft Vista what a joke

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

well our company just got 4 new dell pc and haha what a joke for Vista.
Microsoft admits Vista failure
thats why from the start vista is a load of $hit, just like when XP come out.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39087
Old 04-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Ok what's Mell?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

From article; "Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II)"
Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='416311' date='Apr 21 2007, 12:24 PM
Ok what's Mell?

thats ME II!

they are calling Vista a nickname of Me too
Old 04-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550iReno, NV
Model Year: 2008

...ahh something that I can speak knowledgeably about...

I have been running Windows Vista at home since 25 Dec 06, yes Christmas day. I built up 64bit system for my wife. Until then she had an XP Pro system. For the first month that she used it she complained, "Where's this?" "How do I do that?", then she got used to it. Now when she boots the old XP machine it drives her nuts. The Vista OS is so much more intuitive.

Second example; I do software quality assurance, so I have test on all platforms. This includes all versions of Windows. Until I got Vista, I would say that hands down XP Pro was the most stable OS that I had ever worked with. Now that I have Vista I can say that it makes XP Pro look bad. I can close a bad process and Vista has no problems.

Now I am not going to say that I have not had my problems with Vista. However, most of those have been to do with drivers, and that is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturer (HP has been horrible developing Vista Drivers) and not Microsoft.

Vista also has the User Access Control (UAC). This is the security piece that Microsoft added for security reasons. Being a software developer it has been a pain in the butt, however, it is just part of the development process. We just have to adapt. If you are having a lot of problems with Vista and feel that you are a power user, turn the UAC off. Vista will then act almost the same as XP (as far as installing software). If you are a developer, do your job! Learn how to code for Vista. I deal with developers everyday that say ?We can make this work if we turn off the UAC.? BUZZ wrong answer?

If anybody has any general Vista questions, please post and I will do my best to answer.

TJ
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Contributors

I agree with you vista is a very good OS and that all itis so far,
at work PS, Cad is not 100% fully working and my 3D software is not woking on vista too so have to wait until they have patch most of the software until I install vista at home, all my home computer is vista ready so any time I can install 2GB DDR2 ram each and 320GB harddisk so hardwere is OK but not the other softwere.
Microsoft OS is OK only if you dont install any other software haha.
I will wait for SP1 then install.
they say today that they will have a big patch for vista by october or november.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

If I had to sum up my negative experiences with Vista I would also say that it is driver support.
I built my PC in Jan '07 and installed Vista Home Premium on it's launch day.
All the hardware I'm using indicated "Vista ready!". Well, all that means is the equipment had beta drivers that got it to run under the Vista OS. Vista has changed from it's pre-release state to it's launch date and even today is still getting an ocassional update here and there.

I've been on Windows since Win 95 and have used all the successors. Vista is by far the best of them. Easier to use, faster start-up/shut down, and better features. I absolutely love the sidebar feature and wish there was more room to put stuff. The ability to flip through all your open windows (like a Rolodex) is cool but is nothing more than a gimmick. If you're into games, Vista is the only way to get DX10 but you'll need a video card that will support it.

I realized that as an early adopter I would experience some issues (whatever they may be), but Vista is still new and driver support is constantly improving. I wouldn't think twice about going back. XP is old news.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='416825' date='Apr 23 2007, 06:02 PM
If I had to sum up my negative experiences with Vista I would also say that it is driver support.
I built my PC in Jan '07 and installed Vista Home Premium on it's launch day.
All the hardware I'm using indicated "Vista ready!". Well, all that means is the equipment had beta drivers that got it to run under the Vista OS. Vista has changed from it's pre-release state to it's launch date and even today is still getting an ocassional update here and there.

I've been on Windows since Win 95 and have used all the successors. Vista is by far the best of them. Easier to use, faster start-up/shut down, and better features. I absolutely love the sidebar feature and wish there was more room to put stuff. The ability to flip through all your open windows (like a Rolodex) is cool but is nothing more than a gimmick. If you're into games, Vista is the only way to get DX10 but you'll need a video card that will support it.

I realized that as an early adopter I would experience some issues (whatever they may be), but Vista is still new and driver support is constantly improving. I wouldn't think twice about going back. XP is old news.
I agree. I've run Vista on my laptop and it's jsut great. I had some issues but the overall note is very good and reliable. Xp doesn't even come close.

What i don't like:
-drivers incompatibility (true not Microsoft's fault): example Nokia PCSuite even now doesn't have a Vista compatible version.
-Met a problem, an error that said: "Com surrogate stoped working" and i dunno really from what it was, some say it was from Nero (on the forums), some say the video codec/decoders installed, some say other stuff, either way i installed the lateste Nero software (Vista compatible) and another codec (had ffdshow previously) and it works most of the time. Very very rare i get the error for whatever reason.
-i don't like the way Lock works. How can i lock the computer with a password but the backround processes to remain active? It would be nice to let the computer active but locking it with a password to prevent unwanted work collegues sniffing in your computer.
-most important i don't like the Vista disk partitioner. I cannot create partitions properly cuz the built-in programe doesn't allow me to reduce the booting partition below a value that's set way too high. For example with 100GB hdd i couldn't make it to have 50:50 parititions and all other programms i tried didn't work under Vista (like PartitionMagic, or DiskKeeper).
-if i disable UAC then i'm met by the system at every start-up with Security Warning, that doesn't dissapear, and it's minimisez in the system try icon. It's like not having an antivirus in XP.
-doubt the effectiveness of windows defender.

What i like:
-the start menu, since i got used to now to this one versus the classic one.
-love how the search works, very accurate.
-love the customability of the software. Maybe even too much for me. Some functions are even interleved in some areas.
-regarding what Pingu said: Photoshop works great on mine.
-love the graphics of it.
-i like the improved stability. If a task doesn't respond it kills it instantly and bug free. It won't "semi-boot" the whole screen every time it happened like in old XP when all other tasks would have been lost.
-Side bar is nice, but since i know 2-3 things about Linux, i gotta say that Linux was light years away when you already could have had a side bar similar to Vista.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='416804' date='Apr 23 2007, 04:16 PM
From article; "Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II)"
Like Millenium right?
They should have stated like that, cuz i almost forgot about Millenium, in fact i don't even consider it a Windows
Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='416825' date='Apr 23 2007, 11:02 PM
I absolutely love the sidebar feature and wish there was more room to put stuff.
Get 2 Ferrari 20" LED like my then you can play games and watch vids at the same time

Quick Reply: Microsoft Vista what a joke