Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Mice in the house

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Every Winter I get mice in the roof space, and this year I want to get rid of them for good.

I was thinking of trying one of those ultrasonic repellant things that you plug into your electric supply. Do they work

Or what would you guys suggest?? Sorry there are no prizes for the best/most original answers
Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe you should change your forum member name? I suppose it can't hurt, right?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='660810' date='Sep 3 2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe you should change your forum member name? I suppose it can't hurt, right?
Nice! Perhaps taking their ladder away might help too
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='660814' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:03 AM
Nice! Perhaps taking their ladder away might help too
While you're at it, you should probably remove the cheese you're storing up there too...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='660816' date='Sep 3 2008, 04:06 PM
While you're at it, you should probably remove the cheese you're storing up there too...
I think you could be onto something there

So, if they are still there when the foods gone, then what
Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Here in California, we plant Mint around the house as the smell repels mice, and we DO have a lot of mice here in the hills! Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Funny timing - I just had an exterminator at my house yesterday for the very same problem.

In my case, the mice (there is never just one mouse) is getting into the house by crawling underneath the siding at the corner of the house - there is a small gap between the siding and the house, just big enough for them to fit through. Did you know that a mouse can fit into a space no bigger than a nickel?

He set up bait stations (poison food) all over the basement, and put a few upstairs as well. He told me to get a bunch of steel wool to stuff into the gaps at the corners of the house, where there are gaps between the siding and the house. Mice hate steel wool because they can't chew through it. He suggested that I squirt some caulking up there to act like glue, then stuff the steel wool in.

Do the steel wool thing at mid-day, because the mice are out & about looking for food. If you do it at night, you'll trap them inside and they'll either come into the house itself looking for a way out, or just die of starvation in the walls and stink up the place.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Best way to stop them is before they get into the roof. Check for and fix any openings using expanding foam, steel wool, metal plate etc. They can squeeze into amazingly small spaces, I've seen them squeeze into a locked steel file cabinet! Although electromagnetic and ultrasonic repellants could work in theory they would have to be so powerful that they would probably make the place more uncomfortable for you to live in.

Use the old fasioned traps and use peanut butter. Position traps along walls or other natural pathways. You can use wire ties to strap traps to pipework or beams if you think they are using those. Also place several traps close to eachother as you can trap them with one trap as they are licking the other trap clean!

Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='660889' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:38 PM
Do the steel wool thing at mid-day, because the mice are out & about looking for food. If you do it at night, you'll trap them inside and they'll either come into the house itself looking for a way out, or just die of starvation in the walls and stink up the place.

Good luck!
...a dead mouse in the walls can take weeks to fade away!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='660901' date='Sep 3 2008, 05:50 PM
...a dead mouse in the walls can take weeks to fade away!
I know exactly what you mean, first hand

I've been using traps for the last couple of years ( Been using chocolate which works well ), but fed up with emptying traps everyday!! These things breed like, well, err, mice

Used bait, but reluctant to do so to much due to the vile smell, when the work is done

Tried to find all the suspect holes, and filled up all that I could see ( Do like the steel wool idea ), but like has been said they get through such tiny holes!

Do like the mint idea Flyingpuck, does that really work? I might just give that a try

If anybody has got anymore ideas, they would be greatfully apprieciated, as these little buggers drive me nuts at night, with all their scratching, right above my head . I swear they are having a party, and inviting all their mates round

Quick Reply: Mice in the house