Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook vs. MacBook Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='742841' date='Dec 11 2008, 12:21 PM
I would respectfully disagree. There are lots of uses in both development and for testing. Not to mention if you have to run an application that is only written for a particular OS. I have even configured an entire team using virtual environments to simplify support and reduce cost. My least favorite application is in a production server environment but even there it has it's place.

As for multiple core support that's partially true. But in a laptop you normally only have two cores to work with anyway. But even VMWare Fusion has support for more cores.

I've used many different virtual environments on various native and virtual OSes and I can say they're not all created equal. Some are definitely better than others. My current favorite is VMWare Fusion on OSX as my native OS.
You make very good and valid points. And i agree with all of them, and maybe i think it all depends on what kind of work you do (that may or may not need a VM environment). For me i couldn't make use of such utility, except maybe to run office 2007 in Linux in a windows VM.

Also very correct about the multicore. Only VMWare supports 2 cores (limited on a server that has 8 cores). Also i recently read that only one network adapter is supported. Video is also poorly implemented in a VM, even in VMWare. Doing DirectX 9 apps or games in a VM is just not the same as native, as for DirectX 10 there is no such support. So IMHO VMs have a long way to properly mature but at least they are on the right track.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributors

I have had several macbooks and a macbook pro. The only issue I ever ran into was office 2007 had plenty of glitches that it made running it intolerable. Also the parallel was slow at best. Maybe it has come up since then but it was enough for me to switch back to PC.

I would strongly suggest a Macbook pro if you are leaning that way, but right now im running a lenovo t400 fully ramped up. Not a single issue whatsoever. I paid about $1400 after a $700 discount.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Current macbook and the previous gen refurb are the same price, if not cheaper. Get the refurb macbook pro, couldn't be happier! I run it with 4GB of memory with virtual machines.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='742594' date='Dec 10 2008, 08:08 PM
Crash free? No way.

PS: VM is so over rated. Those are good only for scaling server jobs, or for using some apps on another OS (limited). Most of the virtual machine apps out there don't even know to take advantage of the multicore procs, aka running single core.

PSS: But what do you do when windows burps a blue screen at you? LOL

To be truthful, I don't run it much - just for some software familiarization. I haven't had it crash and it hasn't given me a bluescreen yet. I generally have "good luck" with my technology though.

If I feel like cuddling up with an old Operating System, I just fire up my NeXT.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I went ahead and ordered a MacBook 2.0 (13") with 4GB ram and 320 GB HD. Getting it Monday.

No firewire but I can live without it since I do have 2 Mac Pro towers in my studio.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Contributors

for those that missed it, i went with the MB 2.4 w/2GB of RAM and 250GB HD. thus far, i love it. takes some getting use to, since i came from a PC.

since we obviously have quite a bit of MAC users here, i will post my questions here...

In iChat, how do i find the preferences in AIM?

And pls post your best tips & tricks for the MB!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='742594' date='Dec 10 2008, 08:08 PM
Crash free? No way.

PS: VM is so over rated. Those are good only for scaling server jobs, or for using some apps on another OS (limited). Most of the virtual machine apps out there don't even know to take advantage of the multicore procs, aka running single core.

PSS: But what do you do when windows burps a blue screen at you? LOL
Sorry for the OT comment but.....
VMWare works great for us. I confirmed with our server folks, they say ESX 3.5 doesn't have the limitations you mentioned (although there still are caveats). We are successfully running 180 VMs (mostly Win server 2K3) on an 8 server farm (each with quad dual cores and 64GB of ram). Although most of those VMs replaced 3-5 year old HW. We are 1/3 into a 500 server 3 year P2V project. That will still leave 700 physical Wintel servers even if we don't grow any more, Highly unlikely even in this economy.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MacFly?' post='743878' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:21 AM
for those that missed it, i went with the MB 2.4 w/2GB of RAM and 250GB HD. thus far, i love it. takes some getting use to, since i came from a PC.

since we obviously have quite a bit of MAC users here, i will post my questions here...

What AIM preferences are you looking for in iChat?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by MacFly?' post='743878' date='Dec 12 2008, 08:21 AM

Nice! Great choice. After you've used a Mac for a while you'll understand why many of us are indeed as passionate about our computers as we are about our cars.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='744247
Nice! Great choice. After you've used a Mac for a while you'll understand why many of us are indeed as passionate about our computers as we are about our cars.
thanks, i'm quite pleased.

yes, now i can relate to have passionate MACheads can be - very much like us!lol

Quick Reply: MacBook vs. MacBook Pro