Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook Pro 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
JMC
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='766811' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:02 PM
Wow

equating a MBP to a M5 is pretty freaking silly.

You guys have a great computer on your hands but now you are just buying into this cult where its mac or nothing. I owned many macs I know how they pictch it at the stores and how you feel when you buy one.

seriously though a Lenovo w700 or w700ds with the same options as a MPB is a fantastic competitor and it comes in cheaper.

This thread proves one point though, Mac faithfuls are absolutely devout in their thinking.

The OP thought was he didnt think they were worth the extra money. Now its become how having a Mac is the same as having a luxurious sports car!?

Thats fine though, most of the programs written are for PC and there are many parts to choose from. We dont have to pay those retarded premiums that Mac users have to. We dont have to rationalize paying more for many of the same things because....well we dont have to.

I bet you guys love your Iphones too lol

HTC Touch HD all the way over anything apple has.
Way to miss the point dude. My point with respect to the M5 is that there are many choices we make that don't make sense to a whole lot of other people, but hey, it's our choice to make.

The things I like about the MBP are the same things that caused me to buy an M5. Great engineering, some innovation, very good performance, cool design. I don't doubt that I can buy a different machine that is better in any one of these areas, it's the combination that is the killer for me. And yeah, status comes into it too. Was I talking about a computer or a car there? Doesn't matter, I use the same judgement for each. That's the equivalence between the two for me.

Those are the reasons I buy what I buy, I don't care why you buy what you buy; so long as it makes you happy. Just don't assume that what is important to you is necessarily important to us all, because we each weight different aspects in our own way. When you use loaded terms like "retarded", "fanboy", "rationalize" and "cult" you imply that we who buy Macs at prices you don't like are incapable of reaching our own conclusions about what we should spend our own hard-earned cash on, that our judgement is in some way less sound than yours. Don't you think that's just a little bit patronising? I don't know why it matters. If you don't like Macs fine. I don't have any problem with people buying Wintel systems for any reason, price, performance, availability of software, whatever. I just don't know why some of them assume that when I exercise my own choice I'm in the wrong in some way. Your last two sentences kind of sum things up - who cares if we have iPhones, and why try and belittle our choice if we have bought them? It's not a competition.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='766595' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:33 AM
Two questions:

Are you really sure DDR3 1066 Mhz laptop RAM is that cheap?

Are you really sure Apple uses Super Talent SSDs? I thought they use Samsung.

LE: I couldn't find a price for the Samsung 256 GB SSD. Still unpriced it seems http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/samsung...still-unpriced/
I didn't say laptop ram was as cheap as desktop ram. However the laptop ram I purchased for $50 was 1/5 the price that apple charges, it just shows the apple markup on everything.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JMC' post='766949' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:10 AM
... Just don't assume that what is important to you is necessarily important to us all, because we each weight different aspects in our own way. ...
Correct! We each have to learn this sooner or later.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='766967' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:30 AM
I didn't say laptop ram was as cheap as desktop ram. However the laptop ram I purchased for $50 was 1/5 the price that apple charges, it just shows the apple markup on everything.
I didn't imply that. I implied that DDR 3 (even at only 1066 Mhz) is much more expensive than 50$ or even 10x more. Please read what swajanes wrote regarding this.

Regarding the SSDs i know for sure the 64GB and 128GB SSDs found in the MBA and 15" MBPs are Samsung. Yet today i really tried to see if there is any official leak or test from mac forums that show any info regarding the 256GB SSD but no official info yet. However there is some speculation that the release dates of the so long awaited Samsung SSD is the same as for the 17" MBPs so it might be possible it's that SSD case in which many people found that the price is quite too low. At 220MBs reads and 200MB writes for this kind of level of technology (if true to Samsung claim) 900$ may verywell be a little sum.

Also please don't assume that the same capacity SSDs should be at the same price level. Many tech specs are involved here.

We'll just wait and see till a reviewer gets his hands on a fully loaded MBP.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JMC' post='766949' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:10 PM
Way to miss the point dude. My point with respect to the M5 is that there are many choices we make that don't make sense to a whole lot of other people, but hey, it's our choice to make.

The things I like about the MBP are the same things that caused me to buy an M5. Great engineering, some innovation, very good performance, cool design. I don't doubt that I can buy a different machine that is better in any one of these areas, it's the combination that is the killer for me. And yeah, status comes into it too. Was I talking about a computer or a car there? Doesn't matter, I use the same judgement for each. That's the equivalence between the two for me.

Those are the reasons I buy what I buy, I don't care why you buy what you buy; so long as it makes you happy. Just don't assume that what is important to you is necessarily important to us all, because we each weight different aspects in our own way. When you use loaded terms like "retarded", "fanboy", "rationalize" and "cult" you imply that we who buy Macs at prices you don't like are incapable of reaching our own conclusions about what we should spend our own hard-earned cash on, that our judgement is in some way less sound than yours. Don't you think that's just a little bit patronising? I don't know why it matters. If you don't like Macs fine. I don't have any problem with people buying Wintel systems for any reason, price, performance, availability of software, whatever. I just don't know why some of them assume that when I exercise my own choice I'm in the wrong in some way. Your last two sentences kind of sum things up - who cares if we have iPhones, and why try and belittle our choice if we have bought them? It's not a competition.
I agree with you but when you start a conversation by stating that your choice equates to a high performance m5 and my choice is a GTI you are throwing these things into categories on no basis.

You presume a superior stance from the get go and why? Because you have a MBP.

I could care less that you bought a M5 or have a MBP its your money and life. But dont for one second think that by pushing down on my choice to prop yours up that it somehow makes you intellectually superior.

I can use those terms because this was the issue that I brought up:

1) Mac didnt invent LCD Backlit screens nor were they the first to have a battery last longer than 8 hours but somehow its only a big deal in the mac world, so much so that they made huge announcements about it in their keynotes. That's it. When that was brought up the other two automatically started in how superior Mac is regardless of anything else. Thats fanboyish.

Thats not objective at all and the OP had brought up objective complaints about the MBP.

Its awesome that you guys love your MBP but dont shit all over my choice because you feel somehow by choosing a Mac you knew something I didn't. I got many of the same things you did in a different package. Im happy for you guys and I dont say how my Lenovo is like anything but simply a good computer.

Thats just straight up childish.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm not going to argue over "Apple" anymore, the plain fact is they are overpriced and a dell system with the same specs are half the price.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='766982' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:45 AM
I'm not going to argue over "Apple" anymore, the plain fact is they are overpriced and a dell system with the same specs are half the price.
I didn't know this ! So Dell has the XPS lineup and how is that half the price?

Later edit: Checked dell.com (USA) and saw the prices for dell XPS M1730 and XPS M1530 (equivalents of MBP 15" and 17"). Before we start throwing in numbers do you still hold your claim?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='766982' date='Jan 13 2009, 01:45 PM
Trouble is, they're not - if you can show us a comparably specified Dell that is indeed around half the price of the Apple equivalent I'd (truly) be interested to see it as I'd probably get one myself! It's usually much closer than one might expect. You'll find many, many articles on the web where the cost comparison is discussed (and it's usually Apple v Dell, and generally debunked!)
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributors

15-inch MacBook Pro

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed cache
1066MHz frontside bus
2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs)
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz configuration; 512MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.53GHz and 2.8GHz configurations
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3
MagSafe power port
Gigabit Ethernet port
One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
15-inch MacBook Pro: Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in omnidirectional microphone (located under left speaker grille)
Combined optical digital input/analog line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital output/analog line out (minijack)
Supports Apple Stereo Headset with microphone
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
Mini DisplayPort
Built-in iSight camera
Video output options

DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (optional)

Price: $ 2000 stock

Lenovo T500

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W
Genuine Windows Vista Business 64
15.4 WXGA TFT, w/ LED Backlight
2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
1.3 Megapixel Integrated Camera
160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
7 in 1 Media Card Reader
Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350 (AGN)
9 cell Li-Ion Battery
ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 with 256MB
Intel Accelerator chipset for switchable graphics
3 USB 2.0
HDMI display port
VGA out

Price: $1598 with 9-cell battery; fingerprint reader; and WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350
then use a 15% coupon code from lenovo that is current and the final price