Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

MacBook Pro 17"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='766250' date='Jan 13 2009, 05:03 AM
I have 8GB in my desktop. Ram is dirt cheap these days, desktop ram is $10 a gig, granted laptop ram is a little more. Do you know how much upcharge Apple charges for everything? They were going to charge me $270 for 4GB of ram. Know how much I paid? $50, and took 2 minutes to install. Even those specs mentioned are way over priced.

Example:
Apple Price:256GB Solid State Drive [Add $900.00
Realistic price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9&Tpk=256gb

They charge $50 for antiglare which was a standard option in the past. A DVI connection which was standard in the past now they charge $99 for if you want to connect it to a external monitor.

Could go on and on. Its not like macs are on power pc architecture anymore, they are all intel procs. Similiar dell speced laptops would be 1000's less. I like my previous gen macbook pro, but alot of the money in these laptops is for the name now.
Two questions:

Are you really sure DDR3 1066 Mhz laptop RAM is that cheap?

Are you really sure Apple uses Super Talent SSDs? I thought they use Samsung.

LE: I couldn't find a price for the Samsung 256 GB SSD. Still unpriced it seems http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/samsung...still-unpriced/
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:36 AM
Senior Members

Here is smth that i never really thought about:

What do you want Blue ray anyway? we should have got rid of optical technology a while ago not try to improve it!. Adding more density just makes it easier to lose your data with the slightest scratch.
Old 01-13-2009 | 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='766595' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:33 AM
Two questions:

Are you really sure DDR3 1066 Mhz laptop RAM is that cheap?

Are you really sure Apple uses Super Talent SSDs? I thought they use Samsung.

LE: I couldn't find a price for the Samsung 256 GB SSD. Still unpriced it seems http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/samsung...still-unpriced/
You're right, BetterMakeWay. Matched pair 2x4GB laptop memory sticks certainly aren't $10 a pop, and Apple does not use SuperTalent SSD's in the MBP.

Crucial are asking over $1100 for two matched 4GB pairs (which is what you need on the MBP to get the max 8G

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...R3)%20MB604LL/A

And before anyone tries to post the cheaper part from NewEgg, they have only one 2*4GB offering available and it is only DDR2 667...
Old 01-13-2009 | 06:45 AM
JMC
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

Things that MBP has that Apple did pioneer:

Glass one-piece trackpad
Multi-touch
Backlit keyboard
Firewire 800
Magsafe power connector
Integrated iSight camera
Combined audio/optical inputs/outputs
Sudden motion sensors
Unibody construction

And....

Mac OS X

BTW, Apple aren't charging more for an old matte screen. This is an extra anti-glare coating on top of the edge-to-edge glass screen. The matte surfaces on previous generation MBPs are polymer and simply not up to the Hi-Res wide-gamut capabilities of the new screen.

One more thing Why do PC/Windows people think that when they call a Mac person a fanboy they will be offended? I'm a Mac fanboy, no problem. I drive an M5 too, and a lot of people probably can't understand why I would spend the money on it. Don't care. I know a Golf GTI (Lenovo) will do the same job as my M5 (MBP), but I'm not spending my money on one.

I've already ordered my new MBP17 (2.93 GHz and 7200 rpm HD, no SSD, only 4GB Ram, no anti-glare screen). 4 weeks to wait they tell me.
Old 01-13-2009 | 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

I'll be purchasing one next week.
Old 01-13-2009 | 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JMC' post='766713' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:45 PM
Things that MBP has that Apple did pioneer:

Glass one-piece trackpad
Multi-touch
Backlit keyboard
Firewire 800
Magsafe power connector
Integrated iSight camera
Combined audio/optical inputs/outputs
Sudden motion sensors
Unibody construction

And....

Mac OS X

BTW, Apple aren't charging more for an old matte screen. This is an extra anti-glare coating on top of the edge-to-edge glass screen. The matte surfaces on previous generation MBPs are polymer and simply not up to the Hi-Res wide-gamut capabilities of the new screen.

One more thing Why do PC/Windows people think that when they call a Mac person a fanboy they will be offended? I'm a Mac fanboy, no problem. I drive an M5 too, and a lot of people probably can't understand why I would spend the money on it. Don't care. I know a Golf GTI (Lenovo) will do the same job as my M5 (MBP), but I'm not spending my money on one.

I've already ordered my new MBP17 (2.93 GHz and 7200 rpm HD, no SSD, only 4GB Ram, no anti-glare screen). 4 weeks to wait they tell me.
And when you do please feel free to chime in and write us a review right here in this thread.

Like that you have an M5 and also like that you will own a brand new MBP (perfect match)
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:02 AM
Contributors

Wow

equating a MBP to a M5 is pretty freaking silly.

You guys have a great computer on your hands but now you are just buying into this cult where its mac or nothing. I owned many macs I know how they pictch it at the stores and how you feel when you buy one.

seriously though a Lenovo w700 or w700ds with the same options as a MPB is a fantastic competitor and it comes in cheaper.

This thread proves one point though, Mac faithfuls are absolutely devout in their thinking.

The OP thought was he didnt think they were worth the extra money. Now its become how having a Mac is the same as having a luxurious sports car!?

Thats fine though, most of the programs written are for PC and there are many parts to choose from. We dont have to pay those retarded premiums that Mac users have to. We dont have to rationalize paying more for many of the same things because....well we dont have to.

I bet you guys love your Iphones too lol

HTC Touch HD all the way over anything apple has.
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='766811' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:02 AM
Thats fine though, most of the programs written are for PC and there are many parts to choose from. We dont have to pay those retarded premiums that Mac users have to. We dont have to rationalize paying more for many of the same things because....well we dont have to.
Well, Macs also happen to run Windows rather better than many generic PCs. So we have that base covered too.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='766821' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:21 AM
Well, Macs also happen to run Windows rather better than many generic PCs. So we have that base covered too.

if you are talking about parallels or vmfusion; it has always run slow. Im not sure how it operates on these new MB and MBP so I cant comment there but even bootcamp ran like shit when I did it.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='766868' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:39 AM
if you are talking about parallels or vmfusion; it has always run slow. Im not sure how it operates on these new MB and MBP so I cant comment there but even bootcamp ran like shit when I did it.
Fusion at least runs great (I don't have Parallels). As for BootCamp, it's running at native speed and it runs Vista and XP flawlessly. Funny thing is that when the last gen MBP came out, PC World noted that at the time it was the fastest Windows notebook they'd tested.

edited to add the PC World link:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3/in...ks_of_2007.html

Quick Reply: MacBook Pro 17"