Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Just got pulled over by a ridiculous cop..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Thanks everybody for the comments. I am wondering if i really do contest it, would i need a lawyer ? What if the cops turn up in the court and win in the court, would the fine be higher?

I'm sorry this is my first time encountering such problem. Znod, i would want to know why do you think she will definitely win in court?
Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

so simple. jealous cop who will never afford BMW.

To begin with, this is most likely the case.

Cops are people, just like anyone else... and they are subject to the common feelings anyone might have towards another person's material possessions.

Envy is natural.

When I got pulled over in my 545, the first question the cop asked me was if that was my car. What did he expect? Me to say, "No.... I stole it 15 minutes ago."

Bottom line, an E60 is worth more than that cop's existence.... and she knows it, and hates you for it.

I suggest you request a jury trial. It is your legal right to have a jury trial, and that is the most likely way to have someone side with you. Chances are, the cop won't even show up in court.... in which case you win. But asking for a jury trial turns your case into a larger, and more expensive problem for the state.... and makes the cop's life harder too.

If they want to steal your money by lying on a traffic ticket, fine.... just make them work for it, though. Try to make the process cost the state more money in man-hours than the price of the ticket. You may still lose, but you will have a small measure of satisfaction knowing they lost money in the end.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='222067' date='Jan 10 2006, 03:02 PM
But asking for a jury trial turns your case into a larger, and more expensive problem for the state....
And possibly a more expensive problem for you
Old 01-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sorry to hear that. It's bad enough to get a ticket when you are speeding...

I'd go to court (no attorney) and hope the cop doesn't show.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I would figth this all the way to then end.
I am sure you got pulled over because you have a BMW>
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

In most cases, cops hope you will just pay the ticket - that is why they do things like that. Plead not guilty, go to court, and I'm 99% sure this cop just won't show up. I did this at least 3 times now - everytime I feel that I'm being ripped off - I go to court - and guess what? The cop just won't show up for the hearing. Ticket dismissed. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Sorry to hear about your speeding ticket. I got pulled over Jan 2 2:30 in morning going 95mph in livermore when the highway patrol ask me i why he pulled me over, i just said sorry officer its late and i dont know how fast i was going. He told me i was going 95mph and ask for my registration and license, on the back of my mind i'm thinking oh shit my insurance will triple i gave my driver's license and i told the officer that i'm sorry it was not paying attn to my speed. he came and said ok you are only going 65mph i will just let you go Happy New Year. I was like Happy new year and Merry xmas officer. What a relief my wife said i'm so lucky i did not get a ticket.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

Also sorry to hear that. If jealousy is the case, I wonder what does it help her (in this case) to make you pay a fine for speeding +15 mph. I really do not understand that.

Thank god there is no such thing here. I lived in the states fpr 6 years, and also got pulled over a couple of times. I gotta tell you, things are so much different in the US.

Are you going to take it to court? Let us know how this ends, I am curious.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

If it was a highway patrol, they pace cars a lot and I believe that stands up in court. I doubt a a local cop does it much and in most cases they use radar or laser.

So, as mentioned previously, if you go to court and they don't show up, you win.

I would try and check with someone locally to find out how many speeding tickets they give out without radar. That should give you some indication of your chances of fighting it. Also, find out how long they have to clock you for - I think it is like a 1/4 of a mile or something, how close they need to be.... Did you notice her behind you for any period of time?

You can also plead no contest and give some excuse. In this case they usually drop the amount of the fine.

Good luck
Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Just pay it. If you go to court, she'll show up; you'll lose; and then you'll have to pay court costs on top of the ticket. If you get a lawyer, you'll lose and end up paying five times what the ticket is worth.

"Making a point" when dealing with cops is lose-lose. I just stay the hell away from them, if possible.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over by a ridiculous cop..