Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I get it now (the joke between the two of you) but still need to maintain some sense of order around here since I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought you might be serious.

(What's funny is that it seemed obvious to me that Krozi was having some fun and I was actually amazed at what looked like AWG falling for it hook, line, and sinker! Also, even funnier was that I knew I remembered that "homeless cat" line from somewhere but for the life of me, I couldn't remember where the hell I heard it! )

Okay people, nothing more to see here...please move along!
Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy
I get it now (the joke between the two of you) but still need to maintain some sense of order around here since I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought you might be serious.

(What's funny is that it seemed obvious to me that Krozi was having some fun and I was actually amazed at what looked like AWG falling for it hook, line, and sinker! Also, even funnier was that I knew I remembered that "homeless cat" line from somewhere but for the life of me, I couldn't remember where the hell I heard it! )

Okay people, nothing more to see here...please move along!
Hahaha thanks Rudy
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Contributors

that video is swajames looking for his ifon4
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by swajames
The problems are real, no one has said they're not, and none of my posts have either. It appears that a possible fix is on the way. My point is either you wait for that, or you vote with your wallet in the meantime. The other option is to do what Tex Phil did and sell the phone on eBay for $900. Ultimately, it's nothing to do with brand loyalty and everything to do with reason. Apple isn't going to ship you a redesigned phone tomorrow, nor are they going to release the firmware update anytime soon. Either you're prepared to wait or you're not. In the meantime, if you are prepared to wait, you know exactly what to do to stop the issue happening as an interim measure. Other than these alternatives, what else are you going to do?
Man, maybe you miss the point I have been trying to make in this thread and in another iPhone 4 thread. A big part of this is Apple coming out and say "Look we f'ed up, there is an antennae flaw, but we'll make this right". The first step towards this should/could have been offering customers that are heavily affected by their mistake is to offer them the stupid bumper. (Not saying I would actually want one, since they're so ugly) At least it's a gesture towards doing the right thing.

Coming out and telling the customers that they're holding the phone wrong, or releasing a news release a week later about how it's a display issue with the bars? Those are jokes. Do they somehow expect us to believe that load of crap? And just how is that reasonable? Unless, of course, your definition of reasonable is dicking around the customer by misdirecting the problem towards something else, and leave them hanging (read: just wait for the useless fix).

If this was a Microsoft product, people would be raising hell and burning buildings down already, but because it's Apple, we're suppose to just chillax and shrug it off like it's nothing? Bollocks.

AWG: LOL, I know right.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Man, maybe you miss the point I have been trying to make in this thread and in another iPhone 4 thread. A big part of this is Apple coming out and say "Look we f'ed up, there is an antennae flaw, but we'll make this right". The first step towards this should/could have been offering customers that are heavily affected by their mistake is to offer them the stupid bumper. (Not saying I would actually want one, since they're so ugly) At least it's a gesture towards doing the right thing.

Coming out and telling the customers that they're holding the phone wrong, or releasing a news release a week later about how it's a display issue with the bars? Those are jokes. Do they somehow expect us to believe that load of crap? And just how is that reasonable? Unless, of course, your definition of reasonable is dicking around the customer by misdirecting the problem towards something else, and leave them hanging (read: just wait for the useless fix).

If this was a Microsoft product, people would be raising hell and burning buildings down already, but because it's Apple, we're suppose to just chillax and shrug it off like it's nothing? Bollocks.

AWG: LOL, I know right.
I think we all agree this isn't a good situation for customers who are reporting problems. The question, though, is what is really behind them? It appears that it is not simply an antenna flaw - it goes beyond that. A number of testers seem to be coming to the conclusion that the phone is dropping calls in cases when it's perfectly capable of continuing - the software is simply misreading the available signal due to the attenuation and is erroneously dropping the call. Thus, a software update may well correct this error for some users. The point is this - the software issue seemingly goes well beyond just the number of bars that should be displayed for a given signal strength. If that were all it was going to do, it would not, of course, fix all of the problems...

You may or may not know but there are many undocumented features in the iPhone updates. For the gen 1, for example, an undocumented change saw the phone divert significantly more power to the receiver to boost reception in cases of variable or poor signal strength. That may happen here, the drive for extended battery life in the iPhone4 may well have seen reduced power made available to certain functions to preserve capacity. Again, if this is an issue or part of the solution here, this is fixable in software.

In other cases, the problems may well be due to different causes. That's what remains to be seen. It's not good for anyone when something people have waited for doesn't work as it should, yet many users are reporting their devices work fine and they don't have an issue. I'm not trying to downplay the issue - I wish your phone also worked - but there are still too many variables to reasonably arrive at some of the conclusions that are being drawn. I hope and expect Apple to step up. Their hands are, of course, now tied to some extent due to the (possibly) frivolous law suits which will inevitably drive a little less openness that you may like. Either way, Apple generally does do the right thing by its customers, I expect them to do so here.

My only other point in the earlier post was that what seems like a fairly simply firmware update probably isn't as there are lots of moving parts that need to be taken into account in the software engineering and a significant amount of regression testing to make sure the fixes don't break anything else. There's also the question of whether the updates are such that they (or the device) may need to be reviewed or recertified by the FCC. We simply don't know. It cannot be lost on Apple that the quicker the update is released the quicker the problems might start to go away.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Wow really?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yea... I am just going to laugh to myself and leave that for now.

I think we have all pretty much identified ourselves, lol.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Contributors

It's that time again....

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw