Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Word is coming out that it is actually more of a software than a hardware issue, and that a software update (iOS 4.01) will address or reduce the problem. There have been suggestions that something may be available this week, perhaps even tomorrow. As Jobs himself said in an email this weekend - "stay tuned".
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
y'all are just hating! I got the iPhone 4, threw a bumper on it and its FIIINE
+1 Mine's working perfectly still in love
Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Word is coming out that it is actually more of a software than a hardware issue, and that a software update (iOS 4.01) will address or reduce the problem. There have been suggestions that something may be available this week, perhaps even tomorrow. As Jobs himself said in an email this weekend - "stay tuned".
Not sure if it is a hardware or software problem. But they SURELY will NOT say it is a hardware problem. It would highly reduce their iPhone 4 sale and they are not willing to have recalls. And most importantly reduce the consumer's trust in the "APPLE" brand. So they will deal their first-second batch with software updates, indirectly sending a propaganda message that the software will fix the problem (the same situation BMW tried to do with HPFP) while the other batches will have their hardware fixed without telling anyone.

And as we have seen right here in our very forum, some of our members have not felt this Antenna flaw, so I doubt this antenna defect will affect everyone, same way the HPFP did not affect all x35 i engines.

But that's just my thought.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
Not sure if it is a hardware or software problem. But they SURELY will NOT say it is a hardware problem. It would highly reduce their iPhone 4 sale and they are not willing to have recalls. And most importantly reduce the consumer's trust in the "APPLE" brand. So they will deal their first-second batch with software updates, indirectly sending a propaganda message that the software will fix the problem (the same situation BMW tried to do with HPFP) while the other batches will have their hardware fixed without telling anyone.

And as we have seen right here in our very forum, some of our members have not felt this Antenna flaw, so I doubt this antenna defect will affect everyone, same way the HPFP did not affect all x35 i engines.

But that's just my thought.
At least the screen isn't falling off of it
Old 06-28-2010, 04:03 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by swajames
Will the new software replace the dynamic signal strength meter with a jpeg showing full signal all the time
Old 06-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Contributors

my friend was able to make his signal strength drop by holding the phone sideways, covering the entire antenna with his palms and squeezing pretty hard.

i still have had no issue.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Whatever the position with the antenna (and word is that it is actually a software issue and not a hardware issue, there may be a software update coming this week to help address the issue), Apple shifted 1.7 million iPhones in the first three days on sale (Thursday though Saturday) making the launch the most successful in its history (in terms of units shifted).
Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by craigm1841
my friend was able to make his signal strength drop by holding the phone sideways, covering the entire antenna with his palms and squeezing pretty hard.

i still have had no issue.
Well if it takes that kind of holding to cause the issue, then Apple will have no problem because no one holds the iPhone that way.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

trying all weekend to replicate the signal drop from the major antenna design flaw -- still can't

also bought 2 more iPhone 4's for 2 of my family members (total of 4) -- still can't replicate the problem.

the signal strength on all 4 iPhone 4's are actually stronger than iPhone 3G and original iPhone when compared side by side.

I'm loving this major design flaw.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

Can u buy the iphone 4 handset alone? or do u have to sign up to AT&T??

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw