Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading up on it, it seems as though there is a bonding agent in between the screen, and once that cures, the yellow hue will disappear. I also haven't been able to replicate the antenna issue.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Are you guys holding the phone, and touching the lower left corner? Most likely your pinky will be wrapped around it.

It consistently drop bars on me.

As for the yellow hue and bar, I don't have that either. Which could mean that our's were manufactured earlier...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Strap on, this is a long one. This is per Belonky on Gizmodo:

May I posit a theory of what's going on? I have no inside information that this is, in fact, what is happening, but it seems to me to be the most plausible theory.

Let me state first that it is a complete impossibility that Apple's engineers "didn't realize" there was a problem with the design. These aren't blind morons throwing together a bunch of parts and saying, "Let's see if this works, guys!" These are some of the best engineers and industrial designers on the planet. First, every design they create is based ON THEORY. They don't just build something and then test it to see if it works. But more importantly, every design coming out of their lab goes through iteration after iteration after iteration after iteration after iteration, each prototype being subjected to rigorous testing IN THE LAB, before even being brought into the field for testing. You can even see this for yourself with the leaked prototype iPhone 4's (which were all extremely late-stage prototypes), which bore the markings "EVT" and "DVT," standing for "Engineering Verification Test" and "Design Verification Test," respectively. Believe me when I say that design-wise, nothing this glaring "slips through" testing

That being said, it IS conceivable that Apple made a conscious decision to prioritize form of over function as I have seen them do a few times in the past (albeit for much smaller considerations than the one at issue). However, I sincerely doubt that that is the case, since much of the known evidence contradicts this blind assumption. Everyone is focusing on this being an inherent issue in the design of the phone, but what I find to be a much more likely explanation is that it is not so much an issue with design as it is with manufacturing. The fact that there have been at least several documented cases of iPhone 4's that don't seem to exhibit the problem suggests this theory to be true, especially since the number of apparently positive cases will always be substantially inflated, given that it's the users WITH the problem who are much more likely to report back than those without it.

Now, it is conceivable that the differences in results among users are due to other variables like location and that the problem would surface among "unaffected" users if those users were to test it in a different environment. But I highly doubt that Apple, or any company for that matter, would deliberately release a product that it knew to suffer a defect in design so severe as to cripple the central functionality of the device--especially since they could, it seems from the preliminary evidence, have maintained the aesthetic appeal of the device and still avoided the issue by more fully insulating the two antennae from each other. Much more likely, in my opinion, is the following:

Apple realized very early on in the manufacturing process that they had a problem (back when they first started ramping up production to significant quantities in early to mid-May). They immediately rectified the issue from there on out, but they then faced a choice: They could either take the iPhones they had already manufactured off the supply line, eat the cost, and, most crucially, delay the launch and suffer a PR disaster; or they could let the defective models come to market.

Apple's being Apple, they would have been extraordinarily reluctant ever to publicly acknowledge there was an issue, so instead, they thought the problem through and came up with a way they could maintain the launch date and mitigate the cost, in profit loss and PR, that they would have to eat due to recalling the defective devices: Quickly rush to market a set of colorful Apple-endorsed iPhone cases that JUST cover the conductive surfaces of the phone. The backstory for the launching of the cases gains some credulity because Apple happened to have already launched a case for the iPad, so Steve could casually mention in the keynote that "We did it for the iPad. We thought we'd try our hand at it for the iPhone." Case manufacturing ramp-up time is likely MUCH faster than the time it takes to ramp up iPhone production, so they could quickly rush the cases to market. Give it a clever name, include it in the keynote, and a substantial number of customers are likely to buy the bumper and never notice that their bought-at-launch iPhones are defective.

For those customers who do experience a problem, replace their phone no questions asked. But those customers who return it are likely to be a small subset of the whole launch day purchaser population, saving Apple substantial amounts of money and, more importantly, PR problems. Never publicly admit there's a problem, maintain the launch date, and preserve Apple's "untarnished" image. After a month or so, the iPhones subjected to the revised manufacturing process would hit the market, people would start experiencing the problem in much lower quantities, and the problem would quickly fizzle away to nothing, only to be vaguely remembered in the annals of Apple product launch history.

I actually think it is a rather interesting and creative--if not completely responsible--way of handling the issue. And it seems to me to be the most likely theory of what's going on. I'll reserve further judgment until we see how this pans out. Until then, let us all watch with bated breath.

It's plausibly reasonable to me.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you guys should have gotten the HTC EVO
Attached Thumbnails iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw-htc.jpg  
Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by turboawd
you guys should have gotten the HTC EVO
I did.

I also have the HTC EVO 4G, and the HTC HD2.

Sold the HD2 - WinMo is crap, apps store sucks, apps crashes all the time. It totally wasted HD2's great hardware specs.
Not using the EVO 4G for everyday use - the EVO 4G (Android) apps and usability is just not up to par with iOS. Only using it to test Android Apps and Froyo and Some Flash Apps for clients.

I've also tested and compared the photo and video capabilities and qualities on all 3. the iPhone 4 still has the best in both photos and videos.
The iPhone 4 with iOS4 is by far the best of the 3 main contenders.

can't get anymore objective than that.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

More negative press on the antennae design flaw:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2844

Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Old 06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 08' 550i

CAN U HEAR ME NOW ???....the monthly prices just to own a iphone is not justifiable to me..and for new customers there's a data cap???? WTF..who in their right mind would be a new customer???
Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

y'all are just hating! I got the iPhone 4, threw a bumper on it and its FIIINE
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I have never had the issue with the signal strength going down...love the phone!

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw