Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

IM QUITTING SMOKING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='394690' date='Feb 23 2007, 05:07 PM
After smoking for 19 years and two packs a day I have decided to finaly quit. I just started my prescribed medication of Chantix. My sister who had a similar smoking history used Chantix and after a week she became smoke free. Its now been one moth for her and she cant stand even the smell of cigarettes. Wish me luck!!!
I used to do 60 a day now i am clear of the damn things and haven't missed them for years, food tastes great, clothes don't smell, hopefully I have extended my life and people don't look at me as though I am biggest polluter of the planet. I wish you all the luck I can just hang tough and don't give in.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by jagman' post='394818' date='Feb 23 2007, 04:30 PM
I used to do 60 a day now i am clear of the damn things and haven't missed them for years, food tastes great, clothes don't smell, hopefully I have extended my life and people don't look at me as though I am biggest polluter of the planet. I wish you all the luck I can just hang tough and don't give in.
holy cow! 3 packs a day!!!! for me to smoke that much would require it to be legal to smoke in office buildings. hahaha.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Great desicion

You'll manage that
Old 02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='394823' date='Feb 23 2007, 09:32 PM
holy cow! 3 packs a day!!!! for me to smoke that much would require it to be legal to smoke in office buildings. hahaha.
It was legal to smoke anywhere when I was smoking , so were so many other things well before the politically correct society we live in today. I would hate to tell you how much alcohol I used to consume and drive ( not proud of it now) but then it was great, once ended upside down in an Jaguar in a field following an alcohol fueled session and survived, suppose we all grow up eventually but I am determined not to give up all of my non-politically correct activities, a chap can only do so much.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by jagman' post='394835' date='Feb 23 2007, 04:43 PM
It was legal to smoke anywhere when I was smoking , so were so many other things well before the politically correct society we live in today. I would hate to tell you how much alcohol I used to consume and drive ( not proud of it now) but then it was great, once ended upside down in an Jaguar in a field following an alcohol fueled session and survived, suppose we all grow up eventually but I am determined not to give up all of my non-politically correct activities, a chap can only do so much.
I think the hardest part about quitting smoking is when you're drinking. After a meal or when I drink coffee won't be as bad, but when I go out drinking, that will be the toughest.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='394690' date='Feb 23 2007, 12:07 PM
After smoking for 19 years and two packs a day I have decided to finaly quit. I just started my prescribed medication of Chantix. My sister who had a similar smoking history used Chantix and after a week she became smoke free. Its now been one moth for her and she cant stand even the smell of cigarettes. Wish me luck!!!
Best of luck. I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker but it's been 14+ years of living smoke free. I went on the Nicotine patch back when it was a $300 prescription. The patch combined with a total change in my lifestyle (no more bars for a year ) helped.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Good luck man.

PS. Wise decision !
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

INWO, if you really want to quit, you'll have to kill all those close friends who also smokes. Or you can ask them to quit with you.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!!! Chantix attaches to the receptors in your brain that nicotine adheres to. It also sends a signal to a different part of the brain to release dopamine, just like the nicotine does. Dopamine is the chemical in the brain that gives you the feeling of pleasure. Chantix contains no nicotine, It replaces the nicotine, so after a few days, you no longer have the urge to smoke. For more detailed info, please go to mytimetoquit.com My sister told me that after her fourth day, cigarettes started to taste nasty, like they were sitting in the cabinet for months. Its been about 7 hours since I took my first pill, and I must say that so far today I have smoked HALF my normal amount. I don't have the same urge and they have already started tasting bad. I don't know if its the medication working already or if its psychological, all I know is that for the first time in many years, I am smoking less rather than more. You can only get Chantix by prescription. As far as side effects go, it says common side affects are nausea, and being tired. Which so far I have felt none. Its not a anti-depressant, so there are no mood swings. Also there are no sexual side effects like other products It cost me $97.00 for a month supply. That's about as long as you will use it, my sister stopped taking it after three weeks. I didn't have to go to my doctors office, he just called it in to the pharmacy. As for my friends, most don't smoke and the ones that do, are waiting to see my results so that they can do the same.
Again Thanks For All The Encouragement
Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

You'll do great, just keep in mind why you are quitting; family, health etc. If you're a relative cheapskate like me (except my car!) calculate how you spend a year on cigarettes. Hell, I don't even know what a pack goes for today, but at $3 a pack, two packs a day, that's almost $2,200 a year on cigarettes! That's a new widescreen HDTV every year, not to mention vacations or whatever else you'd like to spend it on...

Speaking solely from my personal experience quiting cold turkey, nicotene addiction is like being a recovering alcoholic, the craving never completely goes away. I quit once for five years then started again in a moment of weakness. When the kids arrived it gave me renewed motivation and it has now been six years since my last cig. I do splurge on the very occasional cigar but that is literally once or twice a year. And no inhaling! I'm not familiar with the drug you're taking but in my mind, it is an ongoing battle. Don't give up, you'll be amazed how much better you feel in just a short period of time!

Quick Reply: IM QUITTING SMOKING!!!