Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Idiots on highways...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Well, while those rules are very nice and bring structure to the traffic flow (priority rules, driving continuously on the left on the highway is punishable with a BIG fine), they're also a pain in the butt sometimes.
For example, non-handsfree calling is illegal (which i think is just BS, because it's not holding the phone that's distracting you, it's the actual talking which you also do when you are calling handsfree).
Also, we've got a really strict policy set on pulling your drivers license:
- 50kph (30mph) too fast = instantly losing your license (fair enough)
- Pro-longed tailgating = instantly losing your license (i highly encourage this rule)
However, there is also a rule called "Article 5". They can pin ANYTHING on this, when it's more dangerous than standing still...
If they think you are taking corners too fast: Article 5.
If they think your accelerating too quick (but still under the speed limit): Article 5.
If you let one fly: Article 5.

Essentially: If they have a crappy day or don't like you, they are going to take your license.

We have way too many rules here in Holland...
Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='793284' date='Feb 15 2009, 05:33 PM
Well, while those rules are very nice and bring structure to the traffic flow (priority rules, driving continuously on the left on the highway is punishable with a BIG fine), they're also a pain in the butt sometimes.
For example, non-handsfree calling is illegal (which i think is just BS, because it's not holding the phone that's distracting you, it's the actual talking which you also do when you are calling handsfree).
Also, we've got a really strict policy set on pulling your drivers license:
- 50kph (30mph) too fast = instantly losing your license (fair enough)
- Pro-longed tailgating = instantly losing your license (i highly encourage this rule)
However, there is also a rule called "Article 5". They can pin ANYTHING on this, when it's more dangerous than standing still...
If they think you are taking corners too fast: Article 5.
If they think your accelerating too quick (but still under the speed limit): Article 5.
If you let one fly: Article 5.

Essentially: If they have a crappy day or don't like you, they are going to take your license.

Yeah, lots and lots of rules and almost no visible enforcement, other than Mr Spee's Mobile Cash Registers.

I drive the amsterdam-Hague motorway daily to get to and from work and regularly encounter tailgaters, left-lane hoggers and what seems to be the Dutch Special - one flash of the turn signal, no look in the mirror, but pulling out into the left lane anyway. I swear, if we took the turn signals and mirrors out of every 2nd car in the Randstad, the traffic safety situation would not change a whit. Oh, and there's only really one way to get a left-lane-hogger out of your way - tailgate them. If you keep a respectable distance from them, they just sit there Basically, if you're a well-mannered driver, you're not going to get anywhere with this crowd.

I really want to see much, much more proactive enforcement on dangerous driving as opposed to outright speed. From what I see on my daily commutes, it's the slow ones with zero consideration for everyone else who are the worst... and I see at least one accident a day on my daily commute. It's pathetic.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='792507' date='Feb 13 2009, 10:13 PM
Yep, I've seen them mostly on Audis but never on an E60.
how does this rear fog lights look like? how does it light up? I'm assuming one of the rear brake lights are lit up?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='793367' date='Feb 15 2009, 08:11 PM
how does this rear fog lights look like? how does it light up? I'm assuming one of the rear brake lights are lit up?
Extra bulb(s), extra button.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='793284' date='Feb 15 2009, 05:33 PM
What you describe as Article 5 we also have in Germany, but not as an Article.
But nobody would enforce stuff that would fall under it, except, and that's what this rule is for, a judge.

So, when you have an accident in example, it is possible your license gets revoked, because the judge declares your driving as dangerous, even though you might have not been too fast...
Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='793386' date='Feb 15 2009, 11:30 AM
Extra bulb(s), extra button.
Yeah, there's an extra bulb in either the right or left rear taillight cluster (not sure which), that lights up brighter than the regular taillights and looks like you applied the brakes although it's not the brake lights. I remember on the previous Audi A6, the fog light is actually not in the taillight cluster but in between the license plate area and the light cluster. They have one one either side but only one would light up.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black E60 530i

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='792186' date='Feb 13 2009, 02:03 PM
99% of the time when I have to panic brake on the autobahn the car in front of me has a CZ or PL.
Well, at least you can see, where I have to live and drive. Only skilled driver can survive here. And polish ? Its not a long time ago, they have opened their first real highway . .no wonder they cant drive on them.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by prase007' post='793837' date='Feb 16 2009, 10:24 AM
Well, at least you can see, where I have to live and drive. Only skilled driver can survive here. And polish ? Its not a long time ago, they have opened their first real highway . .no wonder they cant drive on them.
Is it really that bad there? I'm going to the Czech republic in a couple of weeks (a couple of days of "guy vacation"), but i'm not sure if i'm taking the E60 or my Alfa.
I've heard of bad drivers and bad criminality (like car theft and car break-ins).
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Members

This sometimes occurs at night, which is ESPECIALLY dangerous since visibility becomes much more limited + the fatigue from the day reduces reaction time in braking etc.
If someone tails gate you at night, pull out of that lane, wait for them to pass and get behind them. Then turn on your high-beam 50W Xenons. Muahaha ah ah ah ah
Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by yezero' post='791779' date='Feb 12 2009, 10:36 PM
Scenario is this, you're on a highway going 110km/h - 140km/h. You check your rear view mirror and there's this idiot who's literally just 3 meters behind you, keeping up.
There is absolutely NO ROOM for braking, and should something unexpected pop-up ahead and the brakes come on - well, you know the rest.. so are these people stupid or what?

You know what we need? A mod/button in our cars which turn on the brake lights when they get too close for comfort. Yeah, it'll give em a good scare.

lol, I hate those idiots, I sometime tap the brake, or just go into the next lane, its just not worth it...

Quick Reply: Idiots on highways...