Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Idiots on highways...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tailgaters are the worst. i swear one of these days (near lease end) when I am being tailgated at 120 k by some moron in a civic with big can muffler (who doesn't want to pass, just ride my ass, 12" from my bumper), I am going to HAMMER the brakes and use the dog/animal ran out excuse.....bet you the 15" M discs stop quicker than a civic LX drums....
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='792351' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:32 PM
...On occasions like this, I always wish I had fitted some washer jets just under the rear bumper to spray my used engine old on to the fool at the back,... 007 style. BTW, anyone here on E60 done this super mod already?
Υou better do this test and see first if you are a safe driver yourself ...this is a test for a safe driving, not necessarily legal driving. Then post here your very first result.
I did this test once and got 87% what means (no risk - very safe) even if I answered that I'm driving almost always over the speed limits...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/dang...uiz/index.html
Old 02-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='791860' date='Feb 12 2009, 09:00 PM
+1. I only drive in the left lane long enough to pass slower traffic. I do not pretend to own the road and I am always conscious of my rear view mirror regardless of how fast I am driving. If I see someone on my ass, I get out of their way... because I expect the same, even though I am rarely granted the same courtesy
Thank you.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by one4thethumb' post='792322' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:06 PM
Nick: Efharisto ekato fores for that post.

I am a proactive driver, looking a quarter mile down the road to ascertain when I should move into the "overtaking lane" to overtake slower traffic.

I've driven extensively in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Ontario for most of my adult life, and Michigan drivers are by far the worst, many believe they have a sense of entitlement to drive at any legal speed (above 45 mph) in any lane.

Ontario drivers seem to be the most courteous when you are in the left lane looking to pass. They generally signal and move to the right lane as soon as traffic permits and they usually switch back to the left lane once you pass.

Ohio drivers generally move over, however, occasionally they need to be prodded with 3 or 4 flicks of the highway phasers (err high beams to get their attention).

Pennsylvania drivers are the most obstinate, as most fear to exceed the speed limit because of the hefty fines for speeding in the Commonwealth. They will go 56 in a 55 in the left lane, even if there is no traffic, and they will not move. Needless to say, I've done more than my fair share of passing from the right lane in those instances.

I also happen to practice what I preach . . . if I'm in the middle or left lane of an interstate and observe a car gaining on me at a high rate of speed, I move signal and move over as soon as I am able.

If everyone observed the Golden Rule while driving, we would all: (i) be far better off; and (ii) have lower blood pressure.
wow! nice habits ...and I thought that "left lane keepers" was a Greek phenomenon ...they all deserve the Gold medal of stupidity awarded by the ministry of transport of their states.

I don't mean tailgating is a good practice.
My headlights are always on, also I don't want to destroy my high beam switch flashing to every stupid is driving alone on his "owned" left lane. If someone is driving slower than me on the left lane with no reason (with no traffic) on the highway, I never stay behind them ..I don't give a shit. I'm changing lane earlier enough and overtaking them from the right, ...I look then at the rear view mirror, most of them they won't move over even after this.... they are flashing their high beam to me ...ridiculous

Anyway, things here have change a little in the last few years. If someone keeps moving on the left lane (with no traffic) will be ticketed for traffic obstruction, regardless the speed limit ...like in motherland of highways Germany.

Best European highway drivers are native Germans. Italians are not so good but much better than French (ohh my God) They are more worst than Greeks. They can stop and replace a flat tyre on the left lane .......
Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Had a -kinda funny- incident today.
I was waiting at the lights and a jerk behind me began honking telling me to move forward, closer to the car in front of me.
I ignored him and kept fiddling with my iPod (was looking for a song).
I looked up and as soon as it turned green the guy just kept hanging on his horn. I flipped him the finger, and further ignored him.
He kept tailgating me and at the next roundabout i slammed on the brakes HARD.
He was driving in a little company van with stuff on top of it and EVERYTHING went off the roof and came down in front of his van.

I just drove away and laughed while he opened the door and was shouting stuff.

(BTW, we weren't driving at high speeds, about 20 mph, i'm not THAT crazy)
(BTW2, here in Holland, the guy tailgating you is ALWAYS wrong in case of an accident, so i don't really care (i want a new exhaust anyway )
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='792793' date='Feb 14 2009, 08:06 PM
.....so i don't really care (i want a new exhaust anyway )
...or perhaps a new car? Or a new head? Don't play with someone else's reaction
Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 530d Executive, all options except sunroof and comfort seats ECU remapped by ZipTuning to 260+bhp.

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='792819' date='Feb 14 2009, 07:55 PM
...or perhaps a new car?
Well... A 535d or 535i sounds nice
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='792793' date='Feb 14 2009, 07:06 PM
(BTW2, here in Holland, the guy tailgating you is ALWAYS wrong in case of an accident, so i don't really care (i want a new exhaust anyway )
Need to watch out in Germany.

If you breake for no reason, YOU are the guilty part.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='792793' date='Feb 14 2009, 01:06 PM
Had a -kinda funny- incident today.
I was waiting at the lights and a jerk behind me began honking telling me to move forward, closer to the car in front of me.
I ignored him and kept fiddling with my iPod (was looking for a song).
I looked up and as soon as it turned green the guy just kept hanging on his horn. I flipped him the finger, and further ignored him.
He kept tailgating me and at the next roundabout i slammed on the brakes HARD.
He was driving in a little company van with stuff on top of it and EVERYTHING went off the roof and came down in front of his van.

I just drove away and laughed while he opened the door and was shouting stuff.

(BTW, we weren't driving at high speeds, about 20 mph, i'm not THAT crazy)
I do this sometimes too, when someone is tailgating me and is looking to race or something and sometime I'm not feeling it, when he gets close enough I would slam on my brakes just to scare the hell out of that driver about hitting my rear. Most of the it will work, he's going to back off but sometimes it wont, he will overtake me and cut me off(fuckn @ssO).
Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by OverSoft' post='792793' date='Feb 14 2009, 06:06 PM
I think some of the driving laws in Holland (like the one you mentioned too) is good in keeping average town speeds down. Forget speed camera's, humps, etc. The fact a car driver has to stop for a person riding a bicycle at a roundabout, or the fact cars from a smaller road have right of way on to the larger one keeps everyone on their toes. And with a draconian law for those not abiding by the rules, it thus further keeps the avg speed to a minimum. Top marks there for holland.

cheers

Quick Reply: Idiots on highways...