Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hurricane Katrina

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005 | 06:40 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 30 2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks Rudy!? Guess the best term is resignation, not much we can do so not much sense in beating ourselves or others over it.? That's why I've paid insurance for years, finally get a return on my investment I guess!? Houses and material things can be replaced.? Now trying to get the kids in a school in Baton Rouge so that we can try and get them back on a somewhat normal routine, though the new school will be a bit of an adjustment.? The firm I work for has people scattered all over the south though we are in touch through several conference calls daily.? We had a pretty good disaster plan in place and all our networks and operations have been saved and are in the process of being restored.? Will still take a while to get back to some sense of normallcy...

Things are getting worse in New Orleans, the attempts to shore up the levees have failed and they are now expecting 9-10 ft of water city wide, though deeper in lower lying areas.? As I said earlier, just as California waits for the "Big One", so did we.? Guess ours came first.? Not sure how New Orleans will ever be rebuilt.? I don't expect to have my house knocked down and rebuilt for at least two years, probably longer.

Bigger issues are the economic impact, not just in New Orleans and Louisiana, but nation wide.? 10% of total U.S. refining capacity is currently shut down and prospects for re-start are uncertain.? Get ready for much higher gasoline prices!? The impact to producing facilities in the Gulf of Mexico is still unknown.? Again pushing prices higher.

Anyway, living large here in Houston.? Guess I'll squeeze in some golf this weekend!? Beating the little white ball may help vent some frustrations.? For now, a cold beer will have to be my consolation...
[snapback]165387[/snapback]
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and all those affected.
Old 08-30-2005 | 06:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 30 2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks Rudy!? Guess the best term is resignation, not much we can do so not much sense in beating ourselves or others over it.? That's why I've paid insurance for years, finally get a return on my investment I guess!? Houses and material things can be replaced.? Now trying to get the kids in a school in Baton Rouge so that we can try and get them back on a somewhat normal routine, though the new school will be a bit of an adjustment.? The firm I work for has people scattered all over the south though we are in touch through several conference calls daily.? We had a pretty good disaster plan in place and all our networks and operations have been saved and are in the process of being restored.? Will still take a while to get back to some sense of normallcy...

Things are getting worse in New Orleans, the attempts to shore up the levees have failed and they are now expecting 9-10 ft of water city wide, though deeper in lower lying areas.? As I said earlier, just as California waits for the "Big One", so did we.? Guess ours came first.? Not sure how New Orleans will ever be rebuilt.? I don't expect to have my house knocked down and rebuilt for at least two years, probably longer.

Bigger issues are the economic impact, not just in New Orleans and Louisiana, but nation wide.? 10% of total U.S. refining capacity is currently shut down and prospects for re-start are uncertain.? Get ready for much higher gasoline prices!? The impact to producing facilities in the Gulf of Mexico is still unknown.? Again pushing prices higher.

Anyway, living large here in Houston.? Guess I'll squeeze in some golf this weekend!? Beating the little white ball may help vent some frustrations.? For now, a cold beer will have to be my consolation...
[snapback]165387[/snapback]
very glad to hear you are taking it positively . not many people can do this . i really hope that everything will be back to normal soon . btw, i just came back from the driving range few hours ago and got some freaking sun burn . so beating the little white ball may not help much .
Old 08-30-2005 | 07:35 PM
JDN
Contributors

Good news from Mobile for the daughter and family. The 4' of water has receded and a contractor friend ripped out the carpets and put big fans in the house to start the drying and repair process. Insurance adjustor told her to do what she had to do. She and her husband have always had a lot of energy and will hit the ground running.
Old 08-31-2005 | 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Best way to help is to donate to the Red Cross. This is bad news for the whole country. Amazing how much goes through that port, fish, grain, fuel...

http://www.redcross.org/

Good luck to everyone affected.
Old 08-31-2005 | 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

For all those folks who are complaining about gas prices, you better fill up now. 10% of US refining capacity is currently offline and restart is unknown. But the bigger issue is pipeline capacity, with major crude and product pipelines down. A number of refineries up river are still operating but using crude in storage. No new crude is reaching these refineries and they may be forced to reduce runs as their crude supply dwindles. In the near term, $3 a gallon may seem cheap. A little longer-term, there is a significant portion of both crude oil and natural gas production shut in around the Gulf of Mexico and a big chunk will take 6 months plus to get back on-line, making a tight supply situation even worse. Currently 1.4 million barrels a day of oil and 8.9 billion cubic feet a day of natural gas are shut-in. This compares to US consumption of roughly 20 million barrels a day and 60 billion cubic feet a day. Welcome to $70 oil and $12 gas. This is going to be an expensive winter! For all the doomsayers who I thought were foolish in forecasting $100 oil, Katrina may have made them right.

Other than that, New Orleans is making Haiti look like a vacation destination and we will likely not be allowed back in the city for at least 3 months, though some estimates are closer to 6 months. Rebuilding will take years. The area I live in is under 10 feet of water. Any house that has had water in it for more than 24 hours will have to be torn down, and that is most of New Orleans on the east bank. We are talking tens of thousands of homes and businesses to be taken down and rebuilt. Guess my positive outlook has taken on a shade of gray. We are currently looking to buy a house in nearby Baton Rouge, though the market is already feeling the effects with rental prices going up dramatically and homes that had been on the matket for months having seven people bidding on them this week! May have to sell the 545 to finance the new house. Nah, just kidding about that!

Sorry for the venting folks, the whole thing is just hard to believe. Have to vent somewhere and kicking the dog is not an option...
Old 08-31-2005 | 07:29 PM
JDN
Contributors

Glad you got the family and the cars out, kcs. Hope you can recover most of your possessions eventually. FEMA is a good deal if you can get in early.
Old 08-31-2005 | 08:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

KSC,

Very sorry to hear about your loss, but You still lucked out! As long as all of the Family, friends & extended relatives are safe, everything is OK.

Alone the fact that your office is already setting up camp somewhere else & you still have a job is probably better than 75% of the people in the area right now, with their factories, retail buildings, & other service facilities being down.
What is it that you do anyway, if I may ask?

I'm sure that the housing market is probably out the roof right now, with the little supply & huge demand. That is one of the factors that have driven prices through the roof here in the past 12 months.

JDN,
Also glad to hear that your family is safe & sound.

Today the news came for us .. as of today the wait for Roof Tiles went from 6 weeks to 11 months, and Roof Shingles from 3 weeks to 4 months.
and season is not even over yet.
Local gas went from $2.81 to $3.12 for premium - CRAZY! if it hits $3.50/GAL, i WILL take the car to toyota, or lexus & trade it for a hybrid (providing that BMW has finalized the trade assist paperword & replaced the VINs on the lease payoff)
Old 09-01-2005 | 08:08 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Aug 31 2005, 11:55 PM
JDN, Also glad to hear that your family is safe & sound.
[snapback]165804[/snapback]
Thanks, wiz. One daughter staying at the beach place in Gulf Shores which has power. $80 worth of laundry yesterday trying to salvage clothes that were swamped. Husband staying with the house and cleanup operation back in Mobile. Other daughter with twins born during Dennis, also in Mobile, has no power yet but has gas stove and water, and most of all, a dry house. So, compared to what's going on in NO with kcs and others, we feel like both girls are very lucky.

Talking to one this morning said gasoline is getting critical in the Mobile/Gulf Shores/Pensacola area. Few stations have power, long lines. $3.50/gallon, won't let you fill up, etc. -- shades of the 70s and price controls. There are stories of doctors stranded in Pensacola having problems getting the gas to get back to their practices in Mobile. So, we will all be having fun at the pump. My favorite discount store, Sam's Club, is up to $2.999 this morning for 93 octane. Read a good article yesterday on why price controls are bad. Author said that if a choice between price gouging and price control, we will all be better off with gouging and letting water seek it's own level, so to speak.
Old 09-01-2005 | 08:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Titanium Silver/Gray, Poplar----Cold Weather Pkg, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Audio, Heated Rear Seats

KSC,

Take care, buddy. I know things look dismal now, but you will come through. I hope everyhting works out.

Best regards,
Tim C.
Old 09-01-2005 | 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I just checked on two former employees that "retired" to New Orleans to run B&Bs. Both they and their families came through ok but lost everything which in their cases is both home and livelihood. I feel so helpless and want to help. But I also find that many of these formal organizations take the $$ and use elsewhere other than where I want the help to go and I get frustrated with the dilution of every $$ that reaches the needy.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Katrina