Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

How do you park?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

I once parked, taking two spots, when i came out of the store a police cruiser was next to my car and was going to give me a ticket because parking that way was a violation. I told him I had no choice because the car that was there next to me was also parked that way (that car had left). he did not give me a ticket but told me don't do it again. I now park in 1 spot but far away or next to an end spot.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='619635' date='Jul 9 2008, 01:36 PM
How many times have you freaked out after carefully choosing a "good" space only to return to your car and find some old beat up POS parked next to you? I immediately go into damage investigation mode and have even gone as far as noting the make, model, and license plate information of the junker just in case I notice some ding later on...
Multiple times as I was walking away from a parking spot in the garage where I used to work I would use my camera phone to take a photo of the car that was parked next to me, just in case they caused some damage and I needed their license, model, make, etc. It's a cheap and easy way to get some protection.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I don't know about Canada but in the states you'll only bring attention to yourself and a nice key scratch across one entire side or something even worse. Don't be selfish and park in one spot and please don't put the guy with the older car down if anything he was right and you were wrong.

Rick.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

While we're sort of in topic, flame on this.. One time I was driving with my sister, she pulled out into the intersection making a right while there was a red light, she needed to turn left almost immediately after leaving the parking lot. This was around 6pm when traffic is at its worst in the city. The light then turned green, and we were stuck in the middle of all 3 lanes, bumper to bumper untill the light turned red again. Nobody moved an inch. She had no tints to hide our faces, we had to stare back at the ppl in shame. lol.. Thankfully we then had an advanced to turn. lol
Old 07-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Here's my two favourites:
1. people who back into the bumper of the car behind them when parallel parking...on purpose!! That's what "bumpers" are for right. How else do you know when to stop?
2. people who, generally because of their portly stature, open the door with their feet (ie: swivel in their seat and push the door all the way open with their feet so they can get out). That's a dent...not a ding!

Okay, and why is it everywhere the spots say small car only!

I always park far away, wheels straight, nose in, between the lines, trying to be a low-profile as possible. Also often there is street parking parallel to most parking lots that works great. Many times this is a faster in and out for what you need than driving into the parking lot anyway. It's amazing how far your feet will take you in 30 - 60 seconds.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

BTW I always park in 1 spot as everyone does even I go to Walmart, etc... I respect everyone if not you will get keyed or something bad.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

One spot. When I see people park on the line and take up 2 spots like you I think "wow, what an asshole!"
It's a car man. It's a nice car, but it is only a car. Don't be that asshole!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Parking in 2 spots, you're just asking to get keyed. 1. Park far away from people or hunt for a end spot and kiss the edge. or 2. Drive a different car if the above option is not available or 3. just pray that you wont get a door ding this time around.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Yes, 1 park here too. I always try to park on the slot next to wall or the end of parking lot.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

In NYC, it doesn't matter if you park in 1 spot or 2 and so on. Either way if you park your car outside in public, especially at night, your car is bound to get ruin. If it's not some stupid drunk/kids that keys your cars or superkick that crap out of your sidemirrors (experienced on my both my BMW), you'll sure get dents eventually especially around the bumper. If you do happen to take more than a spot of space, you better make sure no car can still think they can squeeze in. I've seen cars, that tries to park in a space that is absolutely impossible to park in, yet after a minute of heavy bumper to bumper action, usually until someone's license plates falls, the cars will then decide it's not do-able. BTW, I realize most door dings are caused by people who don't usually sit in cars that much. Almost everyone I know that doesn't really own cars or use it as frequent transportation will usually slam doors, swing doors wide open, and cause the most scuff marks. People that own cars usually respect another person's car more when they sit in it.

Quick Reply: How do you park?