Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Help on phones

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,
this has nothing to do with our cars, but since we are such an international forum, i thought i could get some help.

i am based in vienna, austria but travel alot to the US and recently to Taiwan, Korea and Japan. My blackberry 7230 and 6230i work fine everywhere except Korea and japan. so prior to my current trip to APAC, i have bought a 6280 from t-mobile in austria - a 3g phone expecting it to work in korea and japan. Earlier last week, in korea it did not work and since arriving in japan yesterday, it also does not work here. T-mobile do have roaming partners in the respective countries, so i guess it is a phone issue. what type of phone is uses in korea or japan, is a 3g phone not enough???? i need help - feel lost without a phone and worse without a bb...

thanks rumma
Old 08-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='324542' date='Aug 20 2006, 01:29 AM
Guys,
this has nothing to do with our cars, but since we are such an international forum, i thought i could get some help.

i am based in vienna, austria but travel alot to the US and recently to Taiwan, Korea and Japan. My blackberry 7230 and 6230i work fine everywhere except Korea and japan. so prior to my current trip to APAC, i have bought a 6280 from t-mobile in austria - a 3g phone expecting it to work in korea and japan. Earlier last week, in korea it did not work and since arriving in japan yesterday, it also does not work here. T-mobile do have roaming partners in the respective countries, so i guess it is a phone issue. what type of phone is uses in korea or japan, is a 3g phone not enough???? i need help - feel lost without a phone and worse without a bb...

thanks rumma
Much of Japan's networks is built using a different standard (PDC) that is effectively unique to Japan. "World phones" (tri band gsm or combined gsm/cdma) by and large don't support it. We typically have to rent handsets if we travel to Japan for this reason. GSM isn't prevalent in Korea either, but a tri band GSM phone should work in Taiwan if there is a roaming agreement in place.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i too thought that triband 3g phones worked over there....
i dont know anything about this but since not many replied...
i think you might want to try changing the settings a little...
there should be an option to turn the 3g mode on and off...i think its something like "GSM only" and "Dual mode", "TDMA", or "CDMA"..something like taht not sure...give that a try..also perhaps a manual network search would help

good luck..hope this helps/...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

A 3G phone should work in Japan and Korea, it will certainly work in Japan as I've been there and use my phone. My phone is a Sony Ericsson W900i.

You might want to go into the connectivety options where you setup your mobile networks and do a manual search if possible.

If there is an option for GSM only / 3G and GSM, try enabling it so it pick up 3G signal too as some phone are setup in the factory to pick up GSM signals only.

I have also heard that some phone sold by certain provider does not have the option to swap from GSM only / 3G and GSM as they don't have 3G service. If your provider where you buy the phone from doesn't have 3G service chances are they have personlize their menu to exclude this function.

A manual search for networks is your best bet and hope this help.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Contributors

Guys,

thanks for your response. i have a nokai 6280, a 3g phone. have done a manual search, have tried turning on 3g only and then both 3g and gsm, no luck - just can not find a network. this is irritating, since i got this phone prior to this trip so that i could stay connected. maybe nokia's 3g is not the same as a japanese SE - don't konw...

anyway, thanx for all your help..

see you rumman
Old 08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='324809' date='Aug 21 2006, 12:27 PM
Guys,

thanks for your response. i have a nokai 6280, a 3g phone. have done a manual search, have tried turning on 3g only and then both 3g and gsm, no luck - just can not find a network. this is irritating, since i got this phone prior to this trip so that i could stay connected. maybe nokia's 3g is not the same as a japanese SE - don't konw...

anyway, thanx for all your help..

see you rumman
I don't know about Nokia, but I have play around with a N70 and it doesn't have a feature like Sony Ericsson where you can do a manual search and it display all the available network in the area including 3G and the ones that your sim card do not have access to.

I think is a good feature as it will let you know what is your phone capable of picking up.