Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

HELP!!! To LASIK or Not to LASIK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech
Model Year: 2008
Default HELP!!! To LASIK or Not to LASIK?

I've been putting off laser corrective surgery since my early 20's because of the high price tag. Now at 30 I'm in a position to pay for the procedure, but I can't decide if it's worth it (I don't mind my contacts). I had the screening done earlier this week and I'm a "perfect candidate" for custom-vue LASIK.

At first I was thrilled to get it done, but the more I read about the post-op issues I'm starting to question my decision to go through with the procedure. I'm looking for any and all forum member experiences with either LASIK or LASEK:

Which procedure did you have?

How long/uncomfortable was your recovery?

How long did it take to see clearly?

Have you seen any issues with night vision? (very important since I love to drive my 550, often at night)

Would you do it again?

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by SilverBullet17
I've been putting off laser corrective surgery since my early 20's because of the high price tag. Now at 30 I'm in a position to pay for the procedure, but I can't decide if it's worth it (I don't mind my contacts). I had the screening done earlier this week and I'm a "perfect candidate" for custom-vue LASIK.

At first I was thrilled to get it done, but the more I read about the post-op issues I'm starting to question my decision to go through with the procedure. I'm looking for any and all forum member experiences with either LASIK or LASEK:

Which procedure did you have?

How long/uncomfortable was your recovery?

How long did it take to see clearly?

Have you seen any issues with night vision? (very important since I love to drive my 550, often at night)

Would you do it again?

Thanks for the input!
Heres my 2 cents. I did mine right after 9/11 so it was around Jan, 2001? roughly? I used TLC, The Laser Center in NYC, and I also had the same Dr who performed Lasik on Tiger Woods eyes. I believe I had the lasik done.

My recovery was fine, I went home in those old lady dark wrap around sunglasses, and they do tell you that about 2-5% get this burning feeling, my Aunt also had the procedure done the same day, I had the burn, she did not (she was 50) at the time too.. I was told to return the next day for them to examine me, I was also told NOT to drive. Screw that! I woke up a few hours later after my surgery the day of and the burn was gone, and i could see snowflakes from the back of my house out of the front window! It was already amazing and only got better each day. Needless to say I drove in the next day by myself, and I wore my nice sunglasses.

My vision was like 20/300 or something? I cant remember, I was very near sighted, and could only see up close. Now my vision is perfect. I went to 20/10, then decreased to 20/15.. I haven't checked on my eyes in a few years. I did notice the halo's around lights, some of it faded, then again I have also "aged" in years and now I wonder if I should have them checked again or I wonder if I am just used to them. Dusk is what I dislike the most, but overall I would hands down a 1000x do it again. The life I have without the stupid contacts, and dry eyes, and dust in my eyes, and alll the other crap that goes along with it is totally worth it. DO IT! But find a research a good Dr. These are your eyes! lol
Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 AM
New Members

melimel,Thanks so much for your detailed response! Everything you've said is exactly what every other person has told me so I feel confident in my decision to move forward with the procedure.My surgery is on Thursday, so I'll provide an update this weekend (or Thursday night if my vision is already awesome, lol).Can't wait!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:16 AM
New Members

I did it!

So - let me start off by saying the first week after surgery was pretty miserable. I wasn't in pain or discomfort, but everything stayed pretty fuzzy and foggy which was really irritating. After talking with so many people I expected to see a 100% improvement within a day or two, but that wasn't the case. I could "see" 20/20 within a day, but it was not clear by any stretch of the imagination. I wish the doctor would have explained the details of why this was the case - I had to look it up myself. 1. The steroid drops change the pressure in the eye and enlarge the pupils - both alter the way your eyes take in light and makes everything bright, fuzzy, washed out, etc. 2. The eye drops they recommended (Systane Ultra) didn't really work well with my eyes so they stayed pretty dry and that made things blurry. I finally switched over to Similasan Dry Eye Relief drops this past Monday and the difference was amazing! Everything was finally clear and my eyes felt hydrated (granted, it was still hazy/washed out because of the steroid drops). The effects of those drops have almost fully worn off now 2 weeks after the procedure and I couldn't be happier with the results and would do it again tomorrow! I wish I would have found the eye drop solution the weekend after my procedure, but I was afraid to use anything other than what the doctor recommended. Come to find out he was well aware of Similasan and approved the continued use. He says my eyes will continue to get better over the coming months, so I'm looking forward to the 'final' results.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by SilverBullet17
I did it!

So - let me start off by saying the first week after surgery was pretty miserable. I wasn't in pain or discomfort, but everything stayed pretty fuzzy and foggy which was really irritating. After talking with so many people I expected to see a 100% improvement within a day or two, but that wasn't the case. I could "see" 20/20 within a day, but it was not clear by any stretch of the imagination. I wish the doctor would have explained the details of why this was the case - I had to look it up myself. 1. The steroid drops change the pressure in the eye and enlarge the pupils - both alter the way your eyes take in light and makes everything bright, fuzzy, washed out, etc. 2. The eye drops they recommended (Systane Ultra) didn't really work well with my eyes so they stayed pretty dry and that made things blurry. I finally switched over to Similasan Dry Eye Relief drops this past Monday and the difference was amazing! Everything was finally clear and my eyes felt hydrated (granted, it was still hazy/washed out because of the steroid drops). The effects of those drops have almost fully worn off now 2 weeks after the procedure and I couldn't be happier with the results and would do it again tomorrow! I wish I would have found the eye drop solution the weekend after my procedure, but I was afraid to use anything other than what the doctor recommended. Come to find out he was well aware of Similasan and approved the continued use. He says my eyes will continue to get better over the coming months, so I'm looking forward to the 'final' results.

This is awesome!!! Im sorry you went through all that shit.. Sounds pretty sucky.. But I'm glad you figured it out and are ok now.