Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

5series.net is so dead these days......why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006
Default 5series.net is so dead these days......why?

i used to spend so much time on this site but seemingly after the horrid (yes horrid) redesign of the site that made is harder to navigate and pictures 100x less enjoyable, uploads more cumbersome and just overall cluttered it appears that many others have an aversion to the site now.

just how bad is it? i now find many users on other forums that i frequent now and the conversation has just moved over there now. what gives? can the site admins chime in here? any thoughts on how to improve or revert back to the previous layout? should i just cherish the old days and let go? lol

anyway, im interested to see if others have an opinion on this as well, if there's anyone out there still reading
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I agree, this site isn't as busy as it used to be. Although I still talk to a LOT of people I met here, it is usually elsewhere (FB, LinkedIn, in person). However, there are still long standing members posting here and contributing, at least I like to think so
Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. This forum has been dead lately. I'm still on here frequently. Just not posting much. Mostly just reading. Even before the new design it was dead.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

Dead yes, I still lurk. I actually like the new layout MINUS the picture format. Chris what forums are you visiting more these days?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Contributors

I still come here quite often, no matter what other forums I get on, I find myself coming back here. Too much good info specific to my car here to stay away too long.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by pjinca
Too much good info specific to my car here to stay away too long.
^^ And that's the beauty of it. Although overall the redesign sucks, and I really miss some of the old features like "My Content", there is still tons of good info and great people here.

I've only had my e60 almost 2 years now, and this site has been invaluable for me. Shit. Chis, some of your build threads alone have helped pass many boring hours at work. I guess thanks. John you and DK were some of the first guys I talked to on here also. I appreciate this community even with the shitty new layout and broken links/small pics etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I hate the new design. Besides speed, every other aspect is worse.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

None of the old links works on the site, so the new redesign was a massive step backwards for me. And I have no time to repoint the links to the new pages.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
None of the old links works on the site, so the new redesign was a massive step backwards for me. And I have no time to repoint the links to the new pages.
bruce, please check again, I found this problem a few weeks back while searching and reported it to the tech team, the links I reported have been resolved and should have been globally for all links from the previous format, if you come across some please report them so it can be addressed....the bad links were making searching for info almost impossible....

in terms of activity, to blame the pure format change is a bit quick to the trigger, yes the vb format is different but not completely useless, just takes some getting used to, a good number of other forums are on vb as well, so not sure how much difference there is there...reminds me of the e60 v f10 discussion.."i like the old style better" given time you'll grow to appreciate it, just like the f10

The search function is still a great resource, I've found it to be better than the older version now.

honestly a good number of members have moved on from the e60, plain and simple. Also most questions and topics have been discussed repeatatively, so some members just do not feel the need to post.

Last edited by Gene; 12-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Contributors

Agreed on all points Gene. I am still on the fence about the new layout, I love the new F10 (more power, comfort, speed and luxury? Yes, please), and the fact that most topics have been discussed is true. Currently the most fascinating threads here are the build threads - like Chris's "Project Scarlettletter". Love those threads.

Quick Reply: 5series.net is so dead these days......why?