Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

"The Great Global Warming Swindle"

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Thumbs down

I was surprised to find this so easilly available (actually posted and discussed on the BMW Sport touring motorcycle site). Since we are all driving such CO2-producing monsters, I thought you might want to have your guilt put in perspective (as if it weren't when we paid our Gas Guzzler Tax).

It's just over an hour, most watchable, and I'm afraid it touches ALL the bases that the UN and Gore polemics overlooked (read: would never have considered)--with zero drama.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65474899458831

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='404050' date='Mar 17 2007, 06:29 PM
I was surprised to find this so easilly available (actually posted and discussed on the BMW Sport touring motorcycle site). Since we are all driving such CO2-producing monsters, I thought you might want to have your guilt put in perspective (as if it weren't when we paid our Gas Guzzler Tax).

It's just over an hour, most watchable, and I'm afraid it touches ALL the bases that the UN and Gore polemics overlooked (read: would never have considered)--with zero drama.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65474899458831

Cheers,
Ray Hull
I am not sure why people demonize cars. Warming or not, if we want to reduce CO2 emissions cars don't have to be the first. For one, we should stop building coal powerplants, especially in countries 'exempt' from Kyoto protocol (such as China and India - sic!) and start building nuclear powered cargo ships (we do know how to build carriers and submarines after all). See, it is so much simpler to put pressure on ordinary people and vilify them rather than focus on corporations. I don't think Gas Guzzler tax has anything to do with CO2 emissions. I am sure goverment is spending it on anything BUT emissions

If you feel guilty, you can buy CO2 offset at TerraPass.

Oh, and why Gore was not concerned about GW when he was in the office?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 330 Convertible

Originally Posted by uglybear' post='404076' date='Mar 17 2007, 10:56 PM
Oh, and why Gore was not concerned about GW when he was in the office?
Because he talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk. Look at the 15,000 square feet house he lives in, how much energy does it take to heat/cool thhis thing? And those Hollywood stars driving Toyota Prius and living in mansions and flying in private jets.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bimmerguy288' post='404164' date='Mar 18 2007, 09:38 AM
Because he talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk. Look at the 15,000 square feet house he lives in, how much energy does it take to heat/cool thhis thing?
Al Gore has also mentioned in numerous interviews that he has made his life carbon-neutral, and now he's announcing that "100 percent of the profits from the book and the movie [will go] to a new bipartisan educational campaign to further spread the message about global warming."
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/06/ai...bon_neutral.php

ABC
Old 03-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

Choose something fashionable to tax...

The window tax was a glass tax which was a significant social, cultural, and architectural force in the kingdoms of England, Scotland and then Great Britain during the 17th and 18th centuries. Some houses from the period can be seen to have bricked-up windows, as a result of the tax.

Glass making was costly and the use of glass for windows and other purposes was even costlier because of a tax levied specifically on it. The tax was introduced in 1696 under King William III and was designed to impose tax relative to the prosperity of the taxpayer, but without the controversy that then surrounded the idea of income tax. At that time, many people in Britain opposed income tax, on principle, because they believed that the disclosure of personal income represented an unacceptable government intrusion into private matters, and a potential threat to personal liberty. In fact the first British income tax was not introduced until the late 18th century and the issue remained intensely controversial well into the 19th century. Window tax was relatively unintrusive and easy to assess. The bigger the house, the more windows it was likely to have, and the more tax the occupants would pay.
ABC
Old 03-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Contributors

This is getting off the topic: A few years ago we took a tour in downtown Philedelphia. The guide showed us some of the "old" (by U.S. standard) houses. They are very narrow but very deep. Why? She said those house were taxed by their width or something like that.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Members

My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

I have seen the documentary before, and I think that is has some valid points.

What worries me more, however, is that the media (and as a result of that, the masses) don't pay any attention to these kind of theories and rather believe in something else which can be doubted.

But hell, scaring people makes money, so why bother about the truth. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I believe global warming to be an extremely serious, human existence threatening challenge. For me this trumps getting my favorite BMW automobile. Going green will influence my next car purchase.

I associate people who do not believe in global warming with the intelligence level of President Bush, undoubtedly the worst and dumbest president in US history.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding' post='404191' date='Mar 18 2007, 11:30 AM
I believe global warming to be an extremely serious, human existence threatening challenge. For me this trumps getting my favorite BMW automobile. Going green will influence my next car purchase.

I associate people who do not believe in global warming with the intelligence level of President Bush, undoubtedly the worst and dumbest president in US history.
Watch the program. Remove preconception and apply your own intelligence.

ABC
Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' post='404191' date='Mar 18 2007, 07:30 AM

And you drive an 8 cylnder BMW?

Quick Reply: "The Great Global Warming Swindle"