Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Got speeding ticket today. =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

C, I probably would have gotten a ticket on my way to dinner with you. haha

Bulldog, TBWD???

pjinca, like I said, it was bound to happen and I even knew it would happen on this same freeway. First ticket in about 5 years....finally caught up to me.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by theonlychoman' post='974677' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:44 PM
Damn!!!!!! Sorry bud....I would hire a lawyer to help you fight it in court. It may cost you $1,500 for the lawyer, but at least it would give you a chance to not have it go on your record, and affect your insurance premiums... good luck!
Funny thing is I just saved over $2K on insurance by recently switching from 21st Century to Liberty Mutual. Guess I'm giving it all back.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='974681' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:45 PM
C, I probably would have gotten a ticket on my way to dinner with you. haha

Bulldog, TBWD???

pjinca, like I said, it was bound to happen and I even knew it would happen on this same freeway. First ticket in about 5 years....finally caught up to me.
Hey Tony, did he ever tell you how he got your speed?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='974684' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:47 PM
Funny thing is I just saved over $2K on insurance by recently switching from 21st Century to Liberty Mutual. Guess I'm giving it all back.
Well, a friend of mine got caught doing 100, and hired a lawyer to represent him in court. The lawyer argued with the CHP officer, and created the "reasonable doubt" that the officer may have misread the radar detector, and that the device may have been malfunctioning. The judge dismissed the case, and awarded my friend his court costs and lawyer fees. The stars must have been in alignment that day...it's worth a shot...don't cha think?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skeeter' post='974685' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Tony, did he ever tell you how he got your speed?
Nope. All he said was that everytime I sped up, I was probably doing about 95mph. I'm pretty sure he didn't have his radar on or my V1 would have picked it up.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Contributors

TBWD: Trial By Written Declaration Its fighting it by writing and not being in court. If they still deny you, you can request a Trial De Novo, which will allow you to go to court or just forfeit the fine. But atleast if the cop doesn't write something back, you have a chance of winning.

But before you do anything, get an extension which gives you 30 - 60 days extension I forgot. After the extension you request for the TBWD.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='974703' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:01 AM
Nope. All he said was that everytime I sped up, I was probably doing about 95mph. I'm pretty sure he didn't have his radar on or my V1 would have picked it up.

Ooooh, there's your out!! Go to court..discovery..find out when the last time his speedometer was calibrated. Tire changes, tire sizing would be relevant as well. They would have records for all of this. I bet the speedo was never calibrated since the day it was put in service. You WIN!!!

Get a lawyer, no radar is a total win for you SON!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='974563' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:11 PM
I've had a few really really close calls in the last month or so and kinda knew it was coming sooner or later. Twice I was doing 90-100mph and my instant radar went off and I slammed on the brakes. The first time I saw a motorcycle cop way up ahead pointing a radar gun my way. Thought I was busted for sure. I passed him doing about 70 but he didn't even look at me...still kept his radar gun pointing down the freeway. The second time, instant radar warning went off again. Stepped on the brakes and saw an officer on the left lane standing by his cruiser pointing his radar at me. I passed him at about 70 and he turned and pointed his radar at the rear of my car. I think that's because I have no front plate and he didn't get a good reflection the first time. By the time he pointed at my rear plate, I was only a few miles over the speed limit. Phewwwwww......

So.......I was driving to SF this morning on Hwy 280 and I think around the Hillsborough area, my V1 picked up a weak signal from behind. It was intermittent and I didn't see anything behind me so I thought I might have passed a CHP on the other side of the freeway. I slowed down just in case and after about a minute, it went away. I kept it easy for a few miles and then I would speed up a bit here and there to pass slower traffic.

Got into the Daly City area and there were more cars on the road so I was just following the speed of traffic on the left lane. Then the right lanes opened up and the two cars in front of me were going kinda "slow", probably around 75ish so I decided to speed up and pass them on the #2 lane. I had stopped watching my rearview mirror for a little while now but right after I passed those two cars, I looked up and sure enough.......Looked like a spaceship flying down the freeway and about to ram my a$$.

Pulled over. The officer said "everytime you accelerated, you were probably going about 95 mph." I'm guessing he was the one my radar picked up a while back and had probably turned off his radar and followed me from a far distance. Unless he had just came from some onramp and just made up that statement.

He took my license, registration and insurance and right before he walked back to his car, he decides to go to the front and look at my plateless front bumper.

Net net, he ticketed me for 91mph in a 65 and no front plate.

My main concern is if the 1mph extra may have made me ineligible for traffic school and perhaps even 2 pts on my driving record. Anyone know??

On the way home, I was going about 70-75mph and EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMA were passing me on the left and right.
Sorry to hear that, Tony! Hope this helps..

http://www.caduilaw.com/drunk_driving_laws...ss_driving.html

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf
Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Well like the rest of us, you realize exactly how MANY times in the past (same day included) that you SHOULD have been pulled over!! Now it's just time to take your medicine and get past this!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='974708' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:06 PM
Ooooh, there's your out!! Go to court..discovery..find out when the last time his speedometer was calibrated. Tire changes, tire sizing would be relevant as well. They would have records for all of this. I bet the speedo was never calibrated since the day it was put in service. You WIN!!!

Get a lawyer, no radar is a total win for you SON!
+1 Happened to a friend who is now a cop. He got a speeding ticket, cop claimed he was doing 85. When the judge asked how he knew the cops only answer was "I had to do nearly 100 to catch up" - that isn't good enough, case was dismissed. You need to find out how he "knew" you were doing 91 and as long as he doesn't read this thread you win

Quick Reply: Got speeding ticket today. =(